Things to do on Tortola

kellymonster23

My family will be taking a Disney cruise in January and our first port is Tortola. Disney does not have the port excursions listed yet so I am looking for info from folks that have been to Tortola. Is renting a car a possibility or is it more complicated being a US citizen and renting in a British colony? Have other cruiselines offered snorkeling excursions?

Any info would be appreciated!!!

Consider taking the opportunity to go to the Baths of Virgin Gorda! Amazing and most "first timers" to Tortola really want to do. :)

It will be offered as an excursion thru the ship or you can do it on your own.

It's listed as "One of the 1,000 Things To See Before You Die". :D

LuLu

Yes the Baths are a unique experience and definitely a good idea, we'd recommend going on your own if your port times work.

If staying on Tortola there is no problem renting a Jeep and driving the island.

• 1 month later...

Great snorkeling, beautiful island for a tour, Trellis Bay for lunch and shopping at Paragorn's, nice secluded beaches with no amenities for a romantic getaway, take the ship excursion to Jost, or go to VG and rent a car to see the North Sound perhaps.

My family will be taking a Disney cruise in January and our first port is Tortola. Disney does not have the port excursions listed yet so I am looking for info from folks that have been to Tortola. Is renting a car a possibility or is it more complicated being a US citizen and renting in a British colony? Have other cruiselines offered snorkeling excursions?

Any info would be appreciated!!!

My family was just there about a week ago and we rented a car from Alamo. They have a location in the Mary's by the Sea hotel right by the cruise dock. Just as easy to rent as in the US, but the roads are driven on the left side (cars were left hand drive so it was a little odd). An early rental let us be one of the first to Brewers Bay where we had a great day enjoying a fairly quiet beach and then burgers and conch fritters at Nicoles right on the beach. We did a nice drive around the rest of the island on our way back to the boat.

Blue Water - how far is Cane Garden Bay beach from where the ships dock? I was on the Getaway and we visited Tortola but didn't get off the ship, I'll be back there in November on the Escape and we thought we could do the beach on our own. Would you recommend that?

CGB and the other nicer beaches are on the other side (North) of the island and a 20 minute taxi.

Yes just hopping a taxi is the easy way to go. You can book through the ship and perhaps get a free drink or chair, not sure. But there are taxis at the dock waiting and will be at CGB to bring you back.

Myett's has great burgers and such, as does Tony's next door. Myett's also rents lounges.