Oil platfroms to see sailing out of Galveston?

arby70

I tried to search for this, but can't seem to find anything much about the oil rigs out of Galveston. We're going to be sailing the Carnival Magic out of Galveston, and we have a cove balcony booked. Wondering if there will be much in the way of oil platforms to see from our balcony (we're on the port side of the ship).

We sailed out of New Orleans one year but only had an ocean view cabin. We saw some of the platforms in the distance, but it was pretty late once we got out into the gulf, so I never saw any even remotely close. They look kind of fascinating to me and was wondering if we'll see any this time since we don't the Mississippi to go down beforehand. Thanks.

Sailing through "rig alley" is quite a site.

The time to see the floating cities is on your way back to the Port of Galveston very late at night.

You really can't see so much when departing Galveston, but the return is spectacular.

Doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on - enjoy:)

Sailing through "rig alley" is quite a site.

The time to see the floating cities is on your way back to the Port of Galveston very late at night.

You really can't see so much when departing Galveston, but the return is spectacular.

Doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on - enjoy:)

very late...about what timeframe might be good to have a look? Or in my case how early in the morning would I need to arise to enjoy the sight?

A number of rigs have shut down due to the drop in oil price.

A short quote from today's Houston Chronicle:

=============================================

More oil rigs have vanished from gushing shale plays in Texas and North Dakota, an oil field services company reported Friday, as a split emerged again between international and U.S. oil prices.

Both benchmark crude prices rose, but U.S. oil lagged behind Europe's Brent, weighed down by market perceptions that while a falling U.S. rig count will hamper the nation's new oil production, it won't be enough to stem the tidal wave of shale oil.

===============================================

After peaking at $108 per barrel earlier this year, oil prices have been cut in half.

A number of rigs have shut down due to the drop in oil price.

A short quote from today's Houston Chronicle:

=============================================

More oil rigs have vanished from gushing shale plays in Texas and North Dakota, an oil field services company reported Friday, as a split emerged again between international and U.S. oil prices.

Both benchmark crude prices rose, but U.S. oil lagged behind Europe's Brent, weighed down by market perceptions that while a falling U.S. rig count will hamper the nation's new oil production, it won't be enough to stem the tidal wave of shale oil.

===============================================

After peaking at $108 per barrel earlier this year, oil prices have been cut in half.

Those are land rigs.

We cruised out of Houston on Princess and I wished I had brought binoculars to see the rigs. It is really quite a sight cruising through this area.

It might help but they are everywhere and lit up at night.

Producing or not!