My impressions of Crystal vs Silversea

CanadianKate

Having just returned from a 21 day segment of the Crystal Serenity's World Cruise, I've written up my impressions of the two lines. Warning: I know no short stories!

Appreciate your extensive details and analysis. We did an eleven-day Crystal Symphony Baltics cruise in 2008 and were very impressed with their ship, offerings, service, speakers, shows, etc. There were a few little service "slips", but, overall, we were very happy. That was our second cruise after our first with Seabourn doing the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast. Have done three cruises with Silversea, first in 2010 along the Norway coast and then our most recent two cruises as noted below.

One of the big differences that you did not note is that Crystal (at least for now) has only two larger ships. While, by sharp contrast, Silversea has five smaller ships, plus their three explorer-types of sailing vessels. More ships means that Silversea can offer a much wider variety of locations and ports to visit and experience. We are driven, first and foremost, by itinerary. That's a major advantage for Silversea. Plus, as you noted so well, the SS plus of being smaller and more "personal" in their service, ability to connect with people on the ship, the staff, etc.

Yes, your summaries were highly detailed, but that is a key advantage. It causes and allows people to think more about the many different factors to consider. In some cases, there are "differences" that are varied and not, however, that major or large to cause problems by using either cruise line. Overall, it is good that there are a variety of excellent options and potentials, plus so many wonderful places in the world to see and do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 21,332 views for these postings.

I could not get your posted link to work on my ipad but I tracked down your series of posts by searching on your user ID. Thank you for providing all these details in your posts, they were very helpful. I think I will avoid Crystal for now, absent special circumstances.

Catlover: if your interests and preferences, align perfectly with mine, then that is a reasonable response. But don't toss the Crystal mail that your TA sends out. There might be a special cruise with perfect ports for you. Or if you are more athletic than I am, you could be missing out (the spinning classes and levels of yoga classes were very impressive.)

The biggest revelation to me on Crystal was how much I appreciated doing nothing on sea days except trivia. Whether I'll be able to do the same if I return to SS is a question I will have to answer for myself. But I really liked the freedom from feeling like I had to go to a lecture to support a friend. Especially the day I read a whole book by 3:30 so I could discuss it at book club! I barely ate that day, I just settled into a window seat on deck five (so I could be close to the waves) and read for hours on end.

Thanx CK, for the thorough review. We were on Crystal a few tears ago and really enjoyed it. Have to try all the comparables so I don't miss anything! We were in a PH cabin and it was, at the time, the roomiest cabin I had ever been in, very comfortable and well appointed. The butler/other crew were very pleasant. The ship activities were more than SS but I just like being on the ship. Do not need to be entertained. The food was very good. The set meal times are a deal breaker for me. So glad you enjoyed it. We would have gone back but between set-time dining and buffet crowds, too bad. Good line.