Anyone used GAR tours or affordable Ride Mini Bus Service?

Bell Ringer

A group of us are heading to Bermuda on the Explorer. On the first day (of 3) we would like to see some places that are not on the regular bus lines and enjoy hearing more history and local lore. I know taxi tours are great, but there are 10 of us, and I am more less the planner.

If you have used either of the tour groups above, I would appreciate evaluations of them.

I've never used either of these services, however, I did see the Affordable Ride minibus on the road a fair bit last year so he was quite popular. It's an older vehicle that is used by that company, but the driver is as Bermudian as they come. I believe he has some YouTube videos which will give you an idea of what you can expect on his tours.

I believe the GAR vehicles are a bit newer, but your driver may not be as much of a 'personality' as the driver of the Affordable Ride minibus, however, that's not to say you won't get a tour that's of the same quality level. They're just a little more 'low key', from what I can tell.

You probably can't go wrong with either one, to be honest. Just search around online a little more, see what you can find out about each and go with the one that gives you the best "vibe".

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never used either of these services, however, I did see the Affordable Ride minibus on the road a fair bit last year so he was quite popular. It's an older vehicle that is used by that company, but the driver is as Bermudian as they come. I believe he has some YouTube videos which will give you an idea of what you can expect on his tours.

I believe the GAR vehicles are a bit newer, but your driver may not be as much of a 'personality' as the driver of the Affordable Ride minibus, however, that's not to say you won't get a tour that's of the same quality level. They're just a little more 'low key', from what I can tell.

You probably can't go wrong with either one, to be honest. Just search around online a little more, see what you can find out about each and go with the one that gives you the best "vibe".

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

We are still messaging with both companies. I am very much looking forward to the adventure. We are traveling with 4 friends that have never been to Bermuda and 4 that went once. I want to acquaint them with the place we really love.:)

Thanks for the info and testimonial. sent an email to affordable mini bus tour and received a call from Christine their rep in Massachusetts and set up what 6 of us wanted to do and she was very accomodating.

Thanks for the info and testimonial. sent an email to affordable mini bus tour and received a call from Christine their rep in Massachusetts and set up what 6 of us wanted to do and she was very accomodating.

I posted this on the other thread where you mentioned them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37244511&postcount=614

• 2 months later...

George was a fantastic host for the island tour. He stopped any time we asked, added a few stops that had not been in our agenda, and didn't charge us for the hour that we ate at the Swizzle Inn. We offered to buy his lunch, but he said he doesn't eat mid day. He is very informed about his home islands ( he's also a realtor) and pleasant. There were 10 of us in our group and his van is a 14 person van, with a/c and a sound system, so that those in the back could hear what he had to say. A very pleasant start to our visit in Bermuda!

He responds promptly to emails which was accommodating. He also met us as we got off the ship ( with his sign which was easy to find). If you care, tell him that Mary Lynn sent you.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Tucker of Affordable was supposed to meet us at 12:30. When we did run into him at 12:20 (by chance I might add as I recognized him talking with other people and barely read part of his sign that he was supposed to be holding up -glad I watched the youtube video of him. His slogan of "I got your back" I used on him and asked him what happened to it) he stated that he was supposed to meet us at 12:00 and he sent his bus and driver away. I thought we were going to tour with him but I guess he is just the booker for his Affordable ride mini bus company. (and not a very competent one I would say) I looked in his register book and didn't see any time near my name for us. He apologized and eventually did set us up with Julie Richardson of Winsome Transport who gave us a fabulous tour of Bermuda. I highly recommend her. Mr. Tucker apparently didn't tell her that we paid already and she thought that we were supposed to pay her. We told her that Mr. Tucker had been paid and she said she would get in touch with him to collect her money. We did tip her generously. Mrs. Richardson has since contacted him and he said he forgot that we had paid in advance. Not sure yet what has transpired since last I heard from Julie she had not received her money. This was quite a mix up and embarrassing to us and I am sure Julie as well.

I've heard back from Julie Richardson of Winsome Transport and the issue involving affordable ride mini bus tours has been resolved.

Thanks Julie again for a fabulous tour of your great island. Don't hesitate to use her services when in Bermuda.

Edited by GeneD

• 1 year later...

FAMILY JUST GOT BACK FROM BERMUDA JUNE 20TH, 7 PEOPLE, WE MADE ADVANCE RESERVATION WITH Affordable-Ride , recieved email confirmation,paid in advance .Bottom line he left us stranded , never showed never called, but thanks to Bermuda Tax,i they filled in for him, everyone seems to know this guy, Bermuda taxi cAlled him , surprise no answer on his cell . As we were on our way to Horse Shoe Bay beach, here comes Mickal Tucker on the road this was at 12.15 he was suppose to get us at 11.30 our taxi driver stops him, she explained you forgot your pickup at 11.30, never apologized, just threw his arms up, HE LOOKED LIKE HE NEVER HEARD OF US...so now the taxi driver takes the phone number off his van and told us when your ready to come back calle Mikal Tucker. well!!! We did BUT that phone number was out of service LOL.. SO NOW STRANDED AGAIN AT HORSESHOE BAY BEACH, NO WAY OF CONTACTING HIM. REMEMBER THIS WAS PREPAID WEEKS IN ADVANCE FOR ROUND TRIP 7 PEOPLE. WE NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN, NEVER CONTACTED US IN ANY WAY...THANK GOD FOR BERMUDA TAXI.. DO NOT !!! DO NOT!!!!! USE THIS MAN OR HIS services you will be left stranded...SAVE YOURSELF THE A HEADACHE

Edited by lovethedawn

Just got back from the 6/22 Summit. We hired George from GAR tours. He was amazing. We had 14 people in our party and used him for 3 days. The van was new and clean. It probably could have seated four more people. He was such an interesting person who was full of Bermuda knowledge. He made additional stops for us to see a fort and the Gibb Lighthouse and even called up vendors for us to see if they were renting chairs at certain beaches. He was very accommadating and even brought us a cooler full of water for the beach. His price was very reasonable and his service superb. He was a pleasure to deal with from the emails right to the end of our transportation. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. I highly recommend him and would not hesitate to use him again.

Cheryl