Metal vs Plexiglass Balconies

cruiseonly

Was looking to book a cruise on Queen Victoria.

A4 balconies have the plastic guard on the balcony, and the A6 have the metal ones Cunard told us.

So in order to look out in A6 with the metal you have to stand up.

Has anyone been on the Cunard that has the metal balconies, and if so what are your thoughts.

Was looking to book a cruise on Queen Victoria.

A4 balconies have the plastic guard on the balcony, and the A6 have the metal ones Cunard told us.

So in order to look out in A6 with the metal you have to stand up.

Has anyone been on the Cunard that has the metal balconies, and if so what are your thoughts.

By metal do you mean the in hull balconies? Part of the ship? As opposed to the glass balconies, which comrpises most of them?

I would suggest you post the question over on the HAL forum... as folks who've sailed HAL's Vista Class ships have more experience with them... as the QV is not yet out.

And a more accurate description since the QM2 and QV... are two totally different animals.

There are only a handful of balconies aboard Mrs Brown that have the steel railings - although they are not marked on the deckplans, they will be staterooms A7 & A6 Category staterooms 4001-4042. The remaining A6 Category staterooms all have plexiglass railings.

IMO, Cunard has made an error in categorizing those specific staterooms and should have followed HAL's example of grading them at a lower category because you will not be able to see the ocean while seated in those staterooms.

There are no hull balconies on the Queen Victoria as there are on the QM2. Bepsf is correct that there are a small handful of cabins with metal railings and they are very far forward. I would agree too that such cabins should be priced lower than those with glass railings. The QV is based on the Holland America Vista class ships. However, the decor will be quite different with some major interior architectual and design changes on the two lower public room levels forward of midship.

Whaa :eek: - Just realised that the stateroom I have booked for the QV comes into the category of the metal railings. I must rush to change my stateroom.

In which case - 2 questions (& I realise that no-one has sailed on the QV yet, so no-one will know the actual fact, but based on your experiences from the other 2 liners):

1. Am I better off booking a stateroom at the rear of the ship, or at the front of the ship (swell / movement etc does not bother me - I am asking in terms of wind). :rolleyes:

2. The trip is through the Norwegian fjords into the artic circle & back to Southampton. Would I be better off on the port or the starboard side - or is there no difference, given that the trip goes up the coast one way, then turns round & comes back again? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your answers....

GG (wo is neither golden, nor could any longer be classed as a 'girl'....)

Goldie Girl:

Probably you should have been told that those staterooms have the metal railing.

We are booked on the metal railing one, but am considering changing.

Would we be better booking a guarantee. Don't want to pay more than the A6 category balcony.

We were told that all that was left for our sailing was the metal railings.

There are no hull balconies on the Queen Victoria as there are on the QM2. Bepsf is correct that there are a small handful of cabins with metal railings and they are very far forward. I would agree too that such cabins should be priced lower than those with glass railings. The QV is based on the Holland America Vista class ships. However, the decor will be quite different with some major interior architectual and design changes on the two lower public room levels forward of midship.

Oh those! I know which ones you mean now. Yes, very far forward--there's a picture somewhere around here.

Am I better off booking a stateroom at the rear of the ship, or at the front of the ship (swell / movement etc does not bother me - I am asking in terms of wind). :rolleyes:

I have rarely felt much wind on the balcony as one might feel forward on the promenade deck on windy days and fast speeds. However, if the wind is off whatever side of the ship you are on, you will feel it on your balcony regardless of whether you are forward or aft.

We usually make our selection on the basis of what is available at a decent price. We have never been disappointed in any stateroom on any ship. One exception was an aft cabin on the Carnival Legend. While the cabin and steward were very nice, some passengers on the Lido deck chose to flick their cigarette ashes and butts onto our balcony whether or not we were on the balcony.

Sometimes it is nice to be close to the Lido restaurant in case you want to carry something back to the room. For newbies to the QM2, the buffet restaurant that is typically found on the Lido deck, is located just aft of midship on the Promenade Deck.

Oh, and hi Angela. You do get around.

I have rarely felt much wind on the balcony as one might feel forward on the promenade deck on windy days and fast speeds. However, if the wind is off whatever side of the ship you are on, you will feel it on your balcony regardless of whether you are forward or aft.

We usually make our selection on the basis of what is available at a decent price. We have never been disappointed in any stateroom on any ship. One exception was an aft cabin on the Carnival Legend. While the cabin and steward were very nice, some passengers on the Lido deck chose to flick their cigarette ashes and butts onto our balcony whether or not we were on the balcony.

Sometimes it is nice to be close to the Lido restaurant in case you want to carry something back to the room. For newbies to the QM2, the buffet restaurant that is typically found on the Lido deck, is located just aft of midship on the Promenade Deck.

Oh, and hi Angela. You do get around.

Hi yourself, Emile. This is where you can usually find me. Glad to see you've made it over. I always thought one came to the regular message board, and then when it's time, over you go to the Roll Calls. Seems I was misinformed, and some only do the RCs. Bottom line, most questions asked are answered here, just like you are doing. And here is where you really get to meet your ship-mates, even more than at the RCs. Or, here is where you grow to love your soon-to-be shipmates, or run like the wind from them. ;)

PS: Doesn't Carnival have ashtrays?

Does anyone know why they would install metal balconies instead of all plexiglass.

Still going to try to change my booking. Cunard said that was all that was left on A6 balconies. Will try another deck.

If I book a guarantee, I might end up getting the same cabin that I am thinking of changing.

I think the more pertinant question is whether the Carnival passengers know how to use them!

Matthew

Sure!

Don't you read the news? They're for wild abandoned sex and drunken dancing atop the tables.

Get with the program, Matthew!

Not every ship's passengers are as doddering and stodgy as Cunards, who drag their rockers out there while in port.

<LOL>

Anon, Karie's evil twin

(Hey! I don't want to get in trouble with the "board Constabulary!")

Does anyone know why they would install metal balconies instead of all plexiglass.

Still going to try to change my booking. Cunard said that was all that was left on A6 balconies. Will try another deck.

If I book a guarantee, I might end up getting the same cabin that I am thinking of changing.

Yes, the steel balconies ar required due to SOLAS regulations.

Sure!

Don't you read the news? They're for wild abandoned sex and drunken dancing atop the tables.

Get with the program, Matthew!

Not every ship's passengers are as doddering and stodgy as Cunards, who drag their rockers out there while in port.

<LOL>

Anon, Karie's evil twin

(Hey! I don't want to get in trouble with the "board Constabulary!")

In ashtrays? We were talking about ashtrays....:confused:

On the Vistas, the waves in rough seas can easily reach Deck 4 forward...

...on the Noordam inaugural, some friends who occupied the stateroom just aft of the last steel-railed verandah watched as the seas swept past their balcony railing: 45' seas that night...

1. Am I better off booking a stateroom at the rear of the ship, or at the front of the ship (swell / movement etc does not bother me - I am asking in terms of wind).

GG--

IMO, the Vista hulls ride very well in rough seas, although the ride aft is much smoother - and of course the wind is generally not as strongly felt on the indented balconies as it is on the outer balconies.

Hi yourself, Emile... Doesn't Carnival have ashtrays?

Of course Carnival has ashtrays on the Lido Deck. In fact the ashtrays are located right where some passengers just dumped their cigarettes over the railing. How many times have we seen people crush their cigarettes on the ground when there was an ashtray right next to them? How about people who throw their lit cigarettes outside their cars when they have an ashtray? And then there was the Star Princess fire, most likely started from a cigarette dropped from an upper balcony onto a lower verandah. We were on that ship on a Baltic cruise right after the repairs.

Most smokers are pretty considerate people. It is the inconsiderate ones that give smokers the bad rap.

At any rate, that was our last Carnival cruise, hopefully forever!

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of the steel railed balconies. I contacted Cunard, who cheerfully ignored my detailed questions, and chose not to answer at all, but my travel agent has just come back to me today & stated that Cunard had intended to make some A6 balconies with steel & some of the other type (?), but have now decided that all A6 balconies will be with the steel rails.

Does anyone else know any more than this?

So, how much of a problem is this? I could upgrade - would it be worth it?

Opinions please.

Archived