The Case for a Camera Instead of a Smartphone

rjgdjg

That's the one. Now just need to encourage Apple to get that into the iPhone !

I've had mobile phones annually since 1992 and the 6plus has been my favourite so far - but if Apple wants me to stop travelling with my Canon - then it needs to deliver me some serious zoom !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Nikon AW120 (or 130?) that's great for underwater and all-purpose/outdoor/daytime photos. However, the zoom capabilities leave a lot to be desired, and also I can't seem to figure out how to take a decent non-blurry night shot. I recently got the Samsung Galaxy S6 and find the zoom and low-light capabilities to be AMAZING ... used it at a concert and the photos make me feel like I was on stage. Lol.

FWIW came back from a vacation and would say 80% smartphone ( many with waterproof cases ), 15% P&S and 5% DSLR. It's clear the phones have won the image capture business and iPhone was the clear platform winner where I was vacationing.

Edited by chipmaster

I just upgrade my phone to an LG G4. I'm sure most of you have seen the commercials for the LG G4? They really make emphasis on the G4's camera capabilities with the option of full manual control of the camera and the F1.8 aperture lens. Some of the camera review websites have even compared it to DSLR cameras with side by side photo comparison.

When i got the G4 I did my own comparison with my own Nikon D5200 DSLR. I was blown away at the sharpness and quality. Best of all the G4 shoots in RAW file also. RAW picture files you can adjust a lot more of the picture then with just JPG file.

See for your self. And these photos have no post processing other then cropping to make picture sizes approximately the same.

Taken with LG G4

20220307559_bff56e160f_b.jpgG4-sunflower-01 by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

Taken with Nikon D5200 and Sigma 17-50mm lens

20413131831_16a7ee2b0e_b.jpgD5200-Sunflower-01 by Brad Hugo, on

G4

20218965768_6bf2ab0568_b.jpgG4-sunflower-02 by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

Nikon

20408398415_3741b17af5_b.jpgD5200-Sunflower-2 by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

G4

19784315974_0d69b9b4df_b.jpgG4-Front-01 by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

Nikon

20413133291_d0a157484b_b.jpgD5200-front-01 by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

Last 2 photos the G4 did blow out the clouds but just adjusting the cameras contrast or white balance will fix that.