Has Anyone Been to Ronne (Bornholm) Denmark?

If anyone has been to Ronne, I'm curious to find out if there really is a shuttle to the "main street" in Ronne, as someone/some site has suggested, and if so, what that main street might be! It looks like cruise ships dock at the quays that are farthest southeast, but beyond that I'm having a little trouble getting more detail! Thanks to anyone who can help!

If anyone has been to Ronne, I'm curious to find out if there really is a shuttle to the "main street" in Ronne, as someone/some site has suggested, and if so, what that main street might be! It looks like cruise ships dock at the quays that are farthest southeast, but beyond that I'm having a little trouble getting more detail! Thanks to anyone who can help!

I have! But not by a cruise. The reason for why the cruises dock at Ronne is not because of the city, but because of the island that have a beautiful nature. There is not much shops in the main street, but of course that would be some "extra" when a cruiseship is in town! I don't know if the port offers any shuttle to the city center, but you can try to write an e-mail to the port: roennehavn@roennehavn.dk

I will be visiting the island in July 2012 and want to visit the circular churches and other historic sites on the island. I'm looking for a guide or a driver who understands and speaks English. If anyone can share any sites I can contact I would appreciate it.

Have a great next cruise.

Thank you. I'll try emailing the port! And yes, the island looks wonderful, which is why I am trying to figure out just where we'll end up. We have rented a car from Europcar to tour the island, and from the ferry dock it's close, but looks to be quite a bit farther from where the cruise ships dock. (I can walk, but my husband much less so.)

In any case, thanks for the suggestion to email the port. I will do that. Tak (I think!)

I've searched a bit, but can't really find anything about private tours on Bornholm.

You need to visit the "Hammershus" - a castle ruin at the northern point of Bornholm, and the circular churces that where supposed to be used as defence positions with cannons on the roof!. Also the smokehouses need a visit, and try to taste fresh smoked salmon or herrings. Also the lake a few kilometers from the Hammershus is beautiful with it's rocks. It's the small lake besides the "Hammersø" Just copy-past it into Google Maps :)

Yep, I've been fascinated by what I've found on Google Earth. I'm planning to go to Hammerhus, the lake (someone took a picture of a zipline near there - still there?), and hopefully a lighthouse up that way, too. (Well, actually there are two, but one looks more accessible than the other, and better looking, so...) I've researched the churches, the smokehouses, the windmills, and on and on. I'm just wondering how in the world I can fit all this into one day!! (Probably can't, but that doesn't stop me from trying!)

Looks like I also may be renting a car for the day although I would prefer a guide/driver but so far I also can't seem to find one on the Internet. The good news is evidently Denmark allows US citizens to drive with just their regular driver's license.

Would love to hear more from others who may have visited this island.

Have a great next cruise.

If I happen to run across any info, I'll let you know by posting here. I suppose you could always google "Bornholm tourism" or something like that, and ask the tourism folks if anyone offers tours by car. From what I've read, the island of Bornholm has more to see and do than Ronne itself. If you're interested, I found a good article on Trip Advisor about the island, including distances, highlights, etc. - but unfortunately I simply printed it out and didn't bookmark it, so I don't have the exact link.

I rented from Europcar, which has an office about 10 minutes from where we (I think, anyway) dock. There are also rental car companies at the airport, which isn't far, but that seemed like more of a hassle - and a little more expensive, too.

That's great about no international permit. I hate it when companies require one!

I found this website in Danish. However there is a link to theyr email address. They do deliver to he port for $ 30 which may seen high for an American but not for a Dane. mailto:info@auto-centret.dk

Regarding sightseeing we prefer guided tours whenever we go cruising if the first time, but bornholm is so easy to drive and very safe contrary to say Caribbean islands.

There is so much information available on the web that you can print out a great guidebook this way.

My preferred sites are:

Hammershus

A fish smokehouse ( if you like fish)

The little town of Gudhjem. (Other costal towns are also wonderfull in their own way)

Round Church

For a beah visit go to Dueodde which has the finest sand of any beach in Denmark.

Bornholm also have some great art galleries of various kind.

Just a few suggestions and I am certain that Anders (when he wakes up) has many more suggestions.

Have not been to Bornholm for over 40 years I still remember it as wonderful and think this cruisestop if my favorite of those the cruisellines offer in Denmark.

Thanks, Viking. I'm really looking forward to this stop. I'll look into the car rental place that delivers the car to the port. I don't mind walking, and do tons of it, but my husband can't do as much, so delivery might be worth an extra $30.

wwin, I did run across this info about Ronne: In July and August BAT runs special sightseeing buses that take pass-holding passengers around island. Kunsthåndværkerbussen stops at craft studios; Veteranbussen, an antique bus, visits 20th-century historical sights and Havebussen visits gardens. The tours leave from beside Den Røde Pakhus, on Snellmark in Rønne, at 10am and last between five and six hours. You can use daily or weekly pass; refreshments and admission fees (if applicable) are extra.

Unfortunately, I didn't copy the info that told which days the buses runs, since there was nothing listed for the day we're there (Monday). I suppose you could google it if you're interested. At least you wouldn't have to drive!

Found out a little more: Ronne runs a shuttle from cruise ship dock to the Welcome Center up near where the ferries come in. It starts running at 8:50 and runs every 20 minutes. Europcar is right next to the Welcome Center, so it looks like that is an easy option for people on cruises to be able to see the island without spending too much money on ship's excursions! I checked out a couple other car rental options, some with delivery, and all seemed to be around the same price (not too bad). Do NOT, however, use the U.S. Avis site. For some reason, all the cars listed there are $250 a day and up!

Of course, there are also public buses on Bornholm, so if a cruiser is only interested in going to a few towns, and has Danish kroner, that might work as well, and certainly be cheaper!

I just ordered a guidebook, complete with maps of the major towns, on the bornholm.info tourism site. It costs around $6 to ship to the U.S. and you can pay using paypal. I believe it's free if you pick it up at the Welcome Center, or you can also download it from the site or simply view it online. (Be forewarned, however, that it is VERY long, so printing may not be a great idea!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you need info on Copenhagen, Warnemuende/Berlin, Gdansk/Gydnia, Visby, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Riga, or Tallinn, I just might be able to help - but mostly if it's independent travel you're interested in. I can't afford the ship's shore excursions, so I'm planning a lot of travels by other means - and I have a LOT of information at this point (We also go to Stockholm, but the cruise ends there, and we won't see much as we make our way to the airport, so I don't know too much about that beautiful city!)

• 2 weeks later...

Roothy123 -

I'll be in Bornholm in a few weeks on a Baltic cruise..no driver's license, but want to travel to a recommended fishing village, but thought that the local buses might be too slow. Do you know if there are taxis there for hire?

Harry

Then you have to prebook because they are very busy in the summertime, we nearly missed our ferry the last time because no taxis were willing to drive us to the bus terminal in Gudhjem and only when we called for a taxi all the way to Rønne we were able to get one.

Also the price from one end of the island to the other was around 400 DKK so i don't dare to think what a tour around the island will cost.

Don't know but would assume so as it is a fairly large town

The info center is very helpful. My internet is down for a couple days due to big storm and I forget address. Think however it's http://www.bornholminfo.dk. you could email them.

I do know that bus to allinge takes 45 mins. Bus to hammershus castle ruins takes 55 and runs hourly. Bus to dueodde in south...beach area..takes 45 according to my notes. Transportation site for buses is reiseplanen.dk or something like that

Also on certain days they have tours that go out with a theme for example art and antigues. You would have to ask about that. I did not explore more. We will be there Monday and no tours then.

I would like to visit Gudhjem, which I read is about 30 minutes by car from Ronne. I read that there may be more direct buses from Ronne, but the bus website is only in Danish. But I will e-mail the Visitor's Center - grear idea. Thanks!

Harry

I imagine it would be an tops on a bus across the island to Gudhjem. Maybe you could even make a stop at Ostelars to see the round church. Very Bornholmish. I thought I could use google translate on web site but when I used it before but who knows? In any case tourist office is great so. I would just ask them. Also ask if you need Danish kroner on bus ...assume so.

Archived