"Rookie" mistakes?

cgrout78

OK, I totally stole this thread idea from the Carnival board, but they have some REALLY funny stories of things that they did on their first cruise because they didn't know any better. Anyone over here have any they would like to share?

I guess my major ones my first cruise were A)not realizing that the 30spf sunblock that I wear up here in MN is NOT adequate for the Caribbean and B) that my Sign n' Sail (Carnival) can add up REALLY fast when you aren't paying attention. I had like 300 of OBC, and my bill was still over $500 for just me. Had a GREAT time though!!!

I was the first one on the rock climbing wall on the Majesty on our first cruise. I got to the top and wasn't sure what to do, so I started to climb over it onto the catwalk. Everyone below started yelling at me.:o

See? I haven't been on a ship with a rock climbing wall...so I wouldn't know what to do either. Do you just drop back down? Save me from making the same mistake!! LOL

We took the RCCI transfer to the pier on our 1st cruise. It was chaos when we got off the bus! People going in every direction, luggage flying around, porters yelling, taxis unloading... We were guaranteed by a porter who obviously saw "rookie" stamped on our foreheads that our luggage would 1) make it on the ship and 2) be among the first bags delivered if the price was right. We gave him $20 for our 4 pieces of luggage!

Rookie mistake:

At our first dinner on our first cruise, they brought bread . . . so I ate it . . . they brought salad . . . so I ate it . . . they brought an appetizer . . . so I ate it . . . they brought the entree . . . and I sloooooowwwwwly ate it . . . and I didn't have room for dessert! All the portions LOOK small on a ship.

Now I skip the bread and have either a salad OR an appetizer, and I usually have water with my meals. But I don't skip dessert!

My Rookie mistake was not visiting the Ladies Room before attending an evening game show. It was on the first Carnival cruise and the game was like Jeopardy. My friend went on stage as a contestant and I laughed so hard I was in pain trying not to wet myself! :D:D

I didn't bring a hoodie (because we were going to Mexico in summer), but the a/c on the ship in the theater and restaurants almost froze me. I had to buy an ugly, overpriced hoodie from the gift shop.:eek:

Ugh...totally did the same thing!!!

Traveling with sister to Hawaii for a Norwegian cruise. Booked the air travel and transfer through Norwegian. Sister and I live over 1,000 miles apart so we were to meet in Hawaii on the cruise day, ouch :o. I had to pay $100 extra to connect with her in Denver or she would have had to wait at the port for 4 hours for my plane to arrive. We found out they would not allow her inside the terminal without the cruise docs which I had :eek:. Several newbie mistakes, cruising with Norwegian, buying air travel through the cruise line, and not going into Hawaii early. Oh I really wish I had known about CC before that cruise. Live and learn.

Rookie mistake:

At our first dinner on our first cruise, they brought bread . . . so I ate it . . . they brought salad . . . so I ate it . . . they brought an appetizer . . . so I ate it . . . they brought the entree . . . and I sloooooowwwwwly ate it . . . and I didn't have room for dessert! All the portions LOOK small on a ship.

Now I skip the bread and have either a salad OR an appetizer, and I usually have water with my meals. But I don't skip dessert!

I thought you were going to say.. when they brought the entree I finally realized the bread, salad and appetizer were for EVERYONE at the table not just me.. :p

Our first cruise was out of SJ. Being used to the night air on a lake sometimes being cool, after dinner I told DH I wanted to change into jeans and a hoodie because the "sea air at night might be chilly". How surprised was I when the pool doors opened and I walked out to the lovely 80 degree balmy night air of the Caribbean!

The wife and I had a cabin with the window facing the Royal Promenade on the LOS. We decided to take a nap the first night thinking the parade starting would wake us up and we could watch it... didn't realise it was sound proof glass! We still have not seen the first parade on any of our cruises!!

20 years ago on my first cruise I didn't realize that the stuff in the refrigerator in the cabin wasn't free. I just kept drinking the beverages and they kept restocking it. Good thing it was only a five day cruise. lol

On my first cruise last year, after loads of time zone changes along the way, getting it wrong on disembark day. Set the alarm to watch entry into Sydney harbour and woke up as we were docking. Will rectify this next on 7 Nov on the Dawn Princess.

DW and I had our first cruise in 1990 on the Nordic Prince, one of the original RCCL ships, going from NY to Bermuda.

The ship was only 23,000 GRT and 80 ft wide (compare to Radiance class which is 90,000 GRT and 105 ft. wide)

On the way coming home we got caught in gale force winds coming from the tail end. Let's just say the ship was rockin' and rollin'.

I was really amazed at the amount of opportunities to enter drawings, sweepstakes and bingo games on board. So when I was returning from dinner back to our cabin I noticed these little bags hanging from the railings in the hallways. Seeing this I turned to DW and said, "Let's take one and see if we get a lucky number inside".

It was immediately after that another passenger demonstrated what the bags were really intended for.

Archived