Getaway Now

kollegekreed

I'm sure someone is home watching the getaway leave Miami and wondering what's up...so yes indeed, we are sitting in the Atlantic after doing a 180 back towards miami after getting a few miles out. A miami fire rescue boat just showed up but seems to be hesitant to dock with us...not sure why.

Copter just tethered a rescue worker from a few hundred feet in the air to the bow. I did get video...the guy was swinging quite a bit and I was afraid for him watching it. There's probably 300 people watching. Nothing about clearing the decks. They just put out a windsock I guess they may still be trying to land the copter.....

Copter just tethered a rescue worker from a few hundred feet in the air to the bow. I did get video...the guy was swinging quite a bit and I was afraid for him watching it. There's probably 300 people watching. Nothing about clearing the decks. They just put out a windsock I guess they may still be trying to land the copter.....

They never land always a basket lift.

Fireboat will be picking up a family member, and patient is en route to nearby hospital now. Thoughts and prayers for all. Getaway is now turning to port to block the waves, to ensure a smooth transition for the family member.

Thoughts going out to all.

Edited by WaldosPepper

Well wishes for the family. Rescues like these are pretty scary.

I watched one last year when Gem turned around and came back to NY Harbor. Weather was pretty windy and water was very rough. Took about an hour to get ill pax transferred to the fire dept boat.

P.S. Looks like transfer was made for family member and ship is doing over 17kn.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

2014 July Breakaway

Edited by meatball_nyc

Yes, I was watching the departure online as I listened to the port of miami vhf radio online too. The ship's captain called in a medical emergency. They seemed to contemplate a medivac of the patient. I wondered if this occurred as the sail away party got started. I hope that the person is doing well. What a sad way to start of their cruise, especially minutes after departure.

Edited by leah94

They never land always a basket lift.

Not true. Our last night at sea on Navigator of the Seas in February of 2011, there was a lady who had a heart attack, and it took them a couple tries, but the coast guard did indeed land on the helipad on the front of the ship. It was neat to see, but not so for the family of the lady.

We have seen helicopter land on the Epic the first year it set sail... We were out at sea other then the circumstances it was pretty cool.

Where did it land? Epic doesn't have a helipad. I saw a medivac on Epic as well, and they didn't land. Epic's sports court was dismantled to provide a clear area for the basket to be lowered. I'd be surprised to learn that the deck has been reinforced to handle the weight of a helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for keeping us informed yesterday as to what was happening, very much appreciated. I was watching the webcam & heard the fireboat siren, but wasn't sure at first which ship had an issue as the Reflection left right behind her. The Getaway's Facebook page has people reporting that the gentleman had passed away during sailaway, & that a body was airlifted off the ship. Since you did not say anything about his having passed away, I'm assuming that didn't happen or you would've told us. Have you heard anything else as to whether or not that's true? Being that you're actually on the ship, I'm taking your word over those who've "heard" whatever it is they've posted on Facebook!

Edited by fonekween