Final payment and deposit!

jeanlyon

Just booked a cruise for May 2014 through my TA and paid a 20% deposit? Didn't realize until after I had paid it.

got the paperwork today and found they wanted final payment by 1st January? That is 18 weeks before departure. I have complained and they are willing to delay until 2nd Feb.

Anyone else found this? I wonder if this has come about because of the earliness of the Getaway fares. If you have made your final payment, it would be too late to cancel and rebook.

Jean

Edited by jeanlyon

Yes, sorry, didn't make myself clear. The TA takes 20% deposit and wants the money 18 weeks before. It's a massive difference in time.

Then I'd be looking for a new TA I think.

I get a little nervous when they appear to be using your money to reduce their operating expenses rather than just passing it straight on to the cruise line.

Being able to hold on to 5% of the cruise cost for the entire period from booking up to final payment and the entire final payment for over a month must represent a nice boost to their finances even at current interest rates.

I can only hope they are giving you a decent amount of on-board credit and other incentives ...

Edited by Mark_T

Then I'd be looking for a new TA I think.

I get a little nervous when they appear to be using your money to reduce their operating expenses rather than just passing it straight on to the cruise line.

Being able to hold on to 5% of the cruise cost for the entire period from booking up to final payment and the entire final payment for over a month must represent a nice boost to their finances even at current interest rates.

I can only hope they are giving you a decent amount of on-board credit and other incentives ...

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with our TA (a local company) and considering changing. Can anyone recommend a good UK agent who can provide decent service and a good overall package? Thanks

wft

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with our TA (a local company) and considering changing. Can anyone recommend a good UK agent who can provide decent service and a good overall package? Thanks

wft

Unfortunately the rules on this forum do not allow asking for or providing TA recommendations, sorry :(

Fair comment, thanks for putting me right. What about the general principle of TA's v booking direct with FO?

I'd say a good TA is worth using, you'll get whatever FO is offering and usually something on top as well.

On the odd occasion where I've negotiated something extra direct with FO it has been easy to run that through our TA as well.