How feasible to enjoy Cozumel if only on foot?

mamkmm2

To be honest, even on a first visit to Cozumel none of the excursions really jump out at me and make me want to buy anything. And yes, I've looked at non-cruise vendors.

Maybe a museum or something along those lines but hubby and I are the type that like to get out on foot and look around where we are visiting, take pictures, etc.

So my question is for those of you familiar with the area ... we'll be docking at the Puerta Maya but aren't averse to walking to San Miguel ... and are things really worth the walk?

Is walking from Puerta Maya to San Miguel safe ... as in would we share the road with traffic or is there a pedestrian walk way/path/side walk?

I've seen estimates from 2.8 miles to 6 miles between Puerta Maya and San Miguel. Which is closer to the truth?

Is there anything within walking distance of Puerta Maya that really stands out as something to do? Like the "Discover Mexico" attraction?

Thanks. I'm just getting the impression that most people get off the cruise ship and go to a beach resort. We're from Florida and have beaches accessible to us every day of the week. And I don't really want to get off a boat to get on another one. LOL. And we aren't drinkers ... I'm diabetic so it is a major no-no.

Just a little guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and my husband speaks fluent Spanish so there isn't a language barrier if that's an issue.

It's nearly 5 kilometers (3 miles) from PM to the downtown plaza. $7 by taxi. Still in any heat that's a long hot walk. PM is at Km4 Sur on the along the coast road. Discover Mexico is at Km 5.5 along the coast road. That's around a mile. But it's $10 by taxi because it's in the Hotel Zone. There is a sidewalk, but might not be smooth all the way although I think Segways roll along the sidewalk on this portion of the road.

DM has exhibits and slide shows on all of Mexico and Mexican history. Noted for their miniature models of many famous sites. There's a museum shop and a café.

But frankly, you can find plenty of shopping in the Puerta Maya complex and Pancho's Back yard has a nice terrace for dining.

First off, I think if you choose a Caribbean cruise vacation you have to accept it is primarily about beaches and watersports, with a few Mayan ruins and forts thrown in.

My first couple of visits to Cozumel I stayed on the Main Street of San Miguel with hundreds of other cruisers and was not very impressed. Next time I hired a driver for the day,and took a tour around the island and discovered life away from the crowds. We have since returned for several land visits in addition to cruise days. Plenty of photo ops of lighthouse, scenery and wildlife on a private tour and opportunities to get in and out of vehicle as you like. That said we do like to relax, preferably in a quiet area, with the sound of the ocean and enjoy a drink and a snack.

To answer your questions more specifically. You can use Google maps to find the distance and route from San Miguel and even do street view right round the island. It is about 3 miles, one way from Puerta Maya to middle of town. I have walked it, while on a land visit - it is perfectly safe. There is a pedestrian walkway most of the way, until the outskirts of town- would I do it on a cruise day, probably not, it is too hot and is more than I would want to do followed by walking round town. I would taxi to town and then walk the length of the malecon and explore the streets behind the square but if you are fitter maybe walk one-way, explore, then taxi back? There is a small museum and old church in San Miguel, nothing outstanding, but interesting in their own way. Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruisesOnYourOwnWalkingTour.htm

Non- beach activities we have done and enjoyed: photo tour with Tati Biernas (regular and custom tours), excellent cooking class- Cooking with Josefina, Chocolate factory tour (interesting hands-on demonstration, but may be limited if diabetic), take a taxi out to the small ruins at San Gervasio to look around, walk through the jungle, take photos, maybe combine with exploring the town? Taxi rates are posted at the pier, confirm before you leave, - you can get a ride to the ruins, with waiting,and then ask to be dropped off in town on the way back. We haven't done them but there are Segway tours and electric bike tours, mostly on the east side.

None of this is outstanding, "must-do stuff" but we find Cozumel to be a very safe and friendly island to explore.

San Miguel is a fantastic little town with tons to see... take the taxi to town, walk around for a few hours, there is a museum but its small. Then if you still have the energy, walk back down to Puerto Maya... but it is a long way and very hot, on uneven sidewalks with some shade but I would say more sunny that you think. You can duck in some of the little bars and cafes along the way to cool off if you want. Taxis will slow down and ask if you need to ride, so at any point you can grab one. Really... Cozumel is the friendliest and easiest island in the Caribbean.

Is there a reason you don't want to take a cab into town?

It is a long walk (about 5 miles), along a busy road to get from Puerta Maya to San Miguel.

San Miguel is nice to walk around.

Not against a taxi but I was kinda hoping there was something worth seeing along the way.

It's nearly 5 kilometers (3 miles) from PM to the downtown plaza. $7 by taxi. Still in any heat that's a long hot walk. PM is at Km4 Sur on the along the coast road. Discover Mexico is at Km 5.5 along the coast road. That's around a mile. But it's $10 by taxi because it's in the Hotel Zone. There is a sidewalk, but might not be smooth all the way although I think Segways roll along the sidewalk on this portion of the road.

DM has exhibits and slide shows on all of Mexico and Mexican history. Noted for their miniature models of many famous sites. There's a museum shop and a café.

But frankly, you can find plenty of shopping in the Puerta Maya complex and Pancho's Back yard has a nice terrace for dining.

Thanks. From one Floridian to another. As for the heat ... I walk here in the Tampa Bay area all the time all year long. The heat isn't what kills you, it's the humidity. LOL Which brings to mind that I need to be sure and bring our water bottles and a small cooler bag I can tote them in.

First off, I think if you choose a Caribbean cruise vacation you have to accept it is primarily about beaches and watersports, with a few Mayan ruins and forts thrown in.

My first couple of visits to Cozumel I stayed on the Main Street of San Miguel with hundreds of other cruisers and was not very impressed. Next time I hired a driver for the day,and took a tour around the island and discovered life away from the crowds. We have since returned for several land visits in addition to cruise days. Plenty of photo ops of lighthouse, scenery and wildlife on a private tour and opportunities to get in and out of vehicle as you like. That said we do like to relax, preferably in a quiet area, with the sound of the ocean and enjoy a drink and a snack.

To answer your questions more specifically. You can use Google maps to find the distance and route from San Miguel and even do street view right round the island. It is about 3 miles, one way from Puerta Maya to middle of town. I have walked it, while on a land visit - it is perfectly safe. There is a pedestrian walkway most of the way, until the outskirts of town- would I do it on a cruise day, probably not, it is too hot and is more than I would want to do followed by walking round town. I would taxi to town and then walk the length of the malecon and explore the streets behind the square but if you are fitter maybe walk one-way, explore, then taxi back? There is a small museum and old church in San Miguel, nothing outstanding, but interesting in their own way. Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruisesOnYourOwnWalkingTour.htm

Non- beach activities we have done and enjoyed: photo tour with Tati Biernas (regular and custom tours), excellent cooking class- Cooking with Josefina, Chocolate factory tour (interesting hands-on demonstration, but may be limited if diabetic), take a taxi out to the small ruins at San Gervasio to look around, walk through the jungle, take photos, maybe combine with exploring the town? Taxi rates are posted at the pier, confirm before you leave, - you can get a ride to the ruins, with waiting,and then ask to be dropped off in town on the way back. We haven't done them but there are Segway tours and electric bike tours, mostly on the east side.

None of this is outstanding, "must-do stuff" but we find Cozumel to be a very safe and friendly island to explore.

This is a great review and gives me a realistic idea of what is possible. One of the problems we are having is that our ship docks at 1:00 pm and doesn't leave until 10:00 pm. I'm noticing that many attractions/venues close by 4 pm. Some of the other venues (mainly shopping and dining and the bars) run their hours based on when the ships are leaving port so we'll probably do one attraction first thing ... possibly Discover Mexico ... and then shop so we don't have to cart around any potential purchases.

Thanks for the help.

San Miguel is a fantastic little town with tons to see... take the taxi to town, walk around for a few hours, there is a museum but its small. Then if you still have the energy, walk back down to Puerto Maya... but it is a long way and very hot, on uneven sidewalks with some shade but I would say more sunny that you think. You can duck in some of the little bars and cafes along the way to cool off if you want. Taxis will slow down and ask if you need to ride, so at any point you can grab one. Really... Cozumel is the friendliest and easiest island in the Caribbean.

Glad to hear that San Miguel is worth walking around in. We'll check out some of the cafes - hubby can eat anything he wants and at least I'll get to enjoy watching him enjoy it. LOL

One of the reasons we chose Cozumel before the Bahamas or other itineraries is because we'd heard how friendly it is there.

This is a great review and gives me a realistic idea of what is possible. One of the problems we are having is that our ship docks at 1:00 pm and doesn't leave until 10:00 pm. I'm noticing that many attractions/venues close by 4 pm. Some of the other venues (mainly shopping and dining and the bars) run their hours based on when the ships are leaving port so we'll probably do one attraction first thing ... possibly Discover Mexico ... and then shop so we don't have to cart around any potential purchases.

Thanks for the help.

Glad to help out!

One thing to keep in mind if you are leaving from east coast Cozumel is EST not EDT (probably 1 hour behind ship time at the moment), so your 1-10pm is probably noon to 9pm local time, which may make a difference with places you visit. You can catch good sunsets from the west coast, one of our favorite places is the upstairs bar at the Blue Angel between town and the southern piers but lots of other places on that side of island (even the ship!)where you can sit and watch the sunset, if conditions are favorable.

Can't help you with Discover Mexico - it's one thing we haven't done, saving it for a "rainy' day, but it is close to Puerta Maya.

Not sure that I was clear in my description above, the lighthouse I was referring to is at Punta Sur (National Park) and you would certainly need a taxi to get there - we did it on one of our tours of the island. You can climb the lighthouse for the view and small museum on site but the National Park does have an entrance fee.

Another suggestion, which we haven't done, Amazing Race involves walking around town looking for clues and gets good reviews on here.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks for the help.

OMG! You will be there late at night- you get to go to DINNER in Cozumel! There are so many amazing choices for that.

Can I recommend Del Sur Argentina for empanadas? We went 3 times our last vacation and I still dream of how yummy they were. Or if you choose somewhere else for dinner, at least stop by for the dessert empanadas!

And if you plan a late lunch in Cozumel instead of on the ship, I recommend the comida del dia at Casa Cuzumil. That lime soup was to die for. The day we went there were 3 choices, and both that we got between us were fabulous- a multi-course meal for 70 pesos!

Thanks for the help.

I think there is a 3hr sunset "pirate" cruise w/dinner that sounded like fun and gets great reviews, back in port by 9pm. Sounds like it would fit the bill nicely if you are into that sort of thing? Might be worth a look, if you want to occupy the 4pm-10pm lull