Traveling on Norwegian with Food Allergies

My three year old son has severe food allergies. We have been on two Celebrity cruises where the have done a terrific job of making safe food for him. We are considering sailing with Norwegian next summer and I was wondering if anyone can tell me their personal experiences with how Norwegian has handled their allergies. On Celebrity, we would house my din's meals the night before and his food would be waiting for him at each meal. How does this work with Norwegian's freestyle cruising methods?

I am also curious about this topic as well. My three year old has mild food allergies, but enough so that he has an EpiPen. There are foods he needs to avoid, but it is generally pretty easy to do so. My additional question is this: if we bring his epi pen onboard with us, do we need some paperwork done for that? I know what to avoid, and so does he. I was thinking just in case if he happens to eat something out of the ordinary that we don't know he's allergic to and he has a major reaction-- it would be good to have on hand just in case. He's so darn picky, he will probably stick to chicken fingers/nuggets and waffles and fries (unless they have pickled beets- those are his favorite)--typical toddler. I was thinking of calling NCL, but wasn't sure which number to call to ask about it.

I have many food allergies. I always travel with 2 epi-pens and Benadryl

Contact NCL ahead of time here:

Please call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com,

Let them know the allergies and they will mark your reservation. Once you board you can find the maitre d' or manager. They will take the order ahead of time and your room number. When you sit down each night at dinner give your room number and they meal will come out at the same time as everyone else's. Then ask to place the order again for the next night. It's usually a designated person in the MDR who takes care of this.

I avoid the buffet mostly because the risk of cross-contamination is too high.

I have many food allergies. I always travel with 2 epi-pens and Benadryl

Contact NCL ahead of time here:

Please call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com,

Let them know the allergies and they will mark your reservation. Once you board you can find the maitre d' or manager. They will take the order ahead of time and your room number. When you sit down each night at dinner give your room number and they meal will come out at the same time as everyone else's. Then ask to place the order again for the next night. It's usually a designated person in the MDR who takes care of this.

I avoid the buffet mostly because the risk of cross-contamination is too high.

Thank you for the information. Good to know it's ok to bring the Benadryl and EpiPen on board without issue.

My daughter has Celiac Disease. NCL has been fantastic with accomodating us. So, I'm sure just like for her, they can prepare food seperately and be able to make most things to accomodate the food allergy. She has been able to pick most things off the menu, like soup for example and prepare it with out flour, so i'm sure they can make things and avoid putting in egg, mustard or what ever the food allergy may be.

Be sure to fill out the guest special request form and talk to the maitr de in the main dining room once on board.

We also avoid the buffet. Not worth the risk of cross contamination.

Thank you for the information. Good to know it's ok to bring the Benadryl and EpiPen on board without issue.

Your son's Epipens have a prescription label attached, and that's all the paperwork you need for air travel as well. The pharmacy will generally put the label on the box, which isn't convenient for me (the boxes tear up and take up extra space in my purse) so I ask the pharmacist to print up an extra label to put directly on to the plastic case (that's inside the box) and toss the box. For air travel, make sure the name matches exactly - we almost had my daughter's epipens taken from us in Sydney airport because the name spelling did not match - had to phone the doctor in the USa and they faxed a note to Australian officials (glad we had extra time). I never leave the house without mine, and my daughter (now 23) does the same. One mild allergic reaction to exposure can be a deadly one the next time - my allergies get worse with every exposure - so you can never be too careful.

Robin

Definitely contact the access desk. They'll then be aware of your child's allergy.

I just saw a posting on the Norwegian Cruise Line facebook page that said she just got back from the Breakaway and had an amazing experience with her daughter who has food allergies.

I'll quote it here in case you don't have facebook - it may put your fears to rest.

"I just wanted to say a big thank you to Norwegian breakaway for giving my family of 6 the best vacation ever... we just got back from the breakaway. I was nervous going because my daughter has severe food allergies.. well let me tell you they were wonderful.. my daughter was pampered. they explained the process and made us feel completely safe with her food choices.. we would preorder her food each day. We met the executive chef named Charles Fernandes and he asked what kind of food my daughter would eat at home and he made the same stuff for her. also the two asst maître D that helped us were Raluca Udrea and Maureen Donguines..These women would make sure she had whatever she needed at meal time.. thank you so much. also we have to say we loved Jergen Elmido.. He was the best in the sports complex.. he because a good friend of ours and would great us by our names each day.. I would recommend Norwegian to anyone who wants to go on a cruise... thanks for the best vacation ever... "

My wife has severe nuts and shellfish allergies. Carries two epi pens. We have taken over a dozen cruises with them and they have been fantastic. The maître d and restaurant manager on the Epic are now good friends because of our interactions with them surrounding food allergies. Each specialty restaurant we go to they have the chef come out to discuss her food choices.

How good is NCL with allergies. When in the Mediterranean we did a shore excursion in Italy and the restaurant manger packed my wife a box lunch to take just not to risk any confusion with the restaurants onshore. Very cautious. Not all restaurants understand food allergies. Even here in Miami where we live they aren't careful. Even saying that she is allergic to nuts and shellfish in Spanish they still look strangely at her.

Tell NCL up front and when on board you will enjoy the service. She is happy when she can eat Chinese, or sushi, on board

Edited by Ed

Thank you all for your input. The first time we cruised, we were amazed at how well my son's allergies were handled. That is why we took a second cruise. We just returned from Disney which is a destination that we chose based on their claim to handle allergies well. Unfortunately, they gave my son the wrong food which resulted in our first anaphylactic reaction. I have lost some of my confidence in traveling, which is why I was hesitant to try a new cruise line.

Thank you all for responding.

On the Gem this past March they had an assistant waiter who coordinated all special meals for all passengers on board. When my DW, who is Gluten intolerant, arrived at each dining venue for the meal, they would call in the assistant. The assistant then conferred with our waiter to ensure we received the proper pre-planned meal. Later in each meal he would return with the next day's menu for my DW to pick her meal . The assistant also gave us his ship board cell number to call him at anytime we had any questions about what she could and could not eat. Wonderful service.

We were on the Gem last June , I have allergies and I am on a restricted diet. When we booked our cruise we advised of my condition and was noted to my files, approx. 1 month before the cruise I was contacted by my PCC and was informed that a nutritionist would be assigned to me during the cruise. Jeph Augustine was responsible for my diet during the cruise. Every evening I would meet with Jeph and plan my meal for the next day. NCL takes these cases very seriously.

From the Ncl website under site map

Accessibility Assistance

Important Information for Guests with Special Needs

The fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way.

In order to accomplish that goal, Norwegian Cruise Line has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (866-584-9756). Norwegian Cruise Line's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian Cruise Line's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience. You or your travel agent will be contacted so that we can try to meet your needs prior to your cruise as soon as we receive your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form available from our Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line has Access Officers who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs.

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

Special Assistance Level and Type of Assistance

Every person with a challenge or disability is different and you are the best judge of any special assistance you may require. Norwegian Cruise Line has specially trained employees to answer your questions before and during your cruise or to resolve any issue that may arise relating to travel with Norwegian Cruise Line. Norwegian Cruise Line also has a centralized internal corporate resolution staff to assist vessel personnel, available by telephone 24 hours a day. If we are doing more or less than you need, please let us know.

The fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way.

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

Learn how Norwegian Cruise Line has a dedicated team of seasoned travel professionals specifically trained to assist you with your specific requirements from reserving your stateroom through your cruise.

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

Norwegian Cruise Line has a dedicated team of experienced professionals who are available to assist guests with disabilities and other challenges before, during and even after your cruise.

The Access Desk

Within our Reservations Department, an exclusive team of seasoned professionals operate to help facilitate your travel via our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (1-866-584-9756 (voice)). Specially trained in Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures, after receiving your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form, they document your reservation with information concerning your service requests to help prepare our cruise staff for your vacation. A member of the Access Desk will speak with you about each and every aspect of your cruise from transportation to and from the vessel to shore excursions, your stateroom and any other expectation or need that you may have.

Onboard

Once you have boarded, you will be met by staff who will have all of the information that you conveyed to Norwegian Cruise Line either directly or through your travel professional. Staff will be available throughout your cruise to see to your needs. Norwegian Cruise Line has Access Officers who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs. Norwegian Cruise Line also has a centralized internal corporate resolution staff to assist the Access Officer, available by telephone 24 hours a day.

Advance Notice Needed

Whatever your special requirements are, Norwegian Cruise Line will do whatever it reasonably can to accommodate you. But we do need adequate time to prepare for your arrival. Please make every effort to contact our Access Desk well in advance of your cruise - at least 90 days for interpreters and 60 days for all other requirements - if possible. As soon as we receive your information, we will begin working with you to create a cruise vacation specifically for you.

The more information that we have concerning any special requirement you may have, the more prepared we are to meet your needs during your cruise. What works well for others may not meet your requirements. You are the best judge to know what works best for you so rather than assume what you need is the norm, you'll have a much more enjoyable cruise experience if you tell us what you need. We will work with you to try to meet all your reasonable needs for your cruise, but due to the nature of travel on a passenger cruise vessel, if advance notice is not given, Norwegian Cruise Line may not be able to provide you with what you need.

In limited situations (either on board or ashore), we may find it necessary to ask you to make alternative travel arrangements, such as if a disabled guest is unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services. Guests who are unable to care for their basic needs (e.g. dressing, eating, and attending safety drills) MUST have a capable traveling companion. It is essential that we be notified of any special medical, physical, or other requirement you may have as soon as possible, including whether you intend to bring a scooter with you.

Pre-arranging for special assistance helps travel proceed more smoothly. Assistance is arranged for at the time of booking upon identification of your specific service request through our dedicated toll free Access Desk number (1-866-584-9756) or your Travel Agent.

Guests with Mobility Impairments

A wheelchair, scooter or walker may be the primary mobility assistance aid for getting on and off the ship for guests who cannot walk on their own. Norwegian Cruise Line has a limited supply of wheelchairs onboard. In order to accommodate our guests, Norwegian Cruise Line wheelchairs are reserved exclusively for embarkation and disembarkation situations. If you will require regular use of a wheelchair, we strongly recommend that you bring your own wheelchair with you. You may also make rental arrangements onboard from a limited supply of rental wheelchairs which are available onboard on a first come first serve basis.

Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are allowed in our accessible staterooms provided that they are powered by gel-cell batteries and the chargers must be adaptable to 110 volts. Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 21 inches to enter the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Beach wheelchairs can be rented for use on Norwegian Cruise Line's private island.

For additional details on the prearranged rental program, please contact our authorized vendor:

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: (toll-free) 800-513-4515 or 954-585-0575

Fax: 954-585-0577

www.specialneedsatsea.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/index.cfm/about-us/cruise-lines/norwegian-cruise-line/

Ship Transfers and Shore Excursions Facilities

Ship Transfers & Tenders

Guests must be aware that certain vessel transfers, such as tendering and gangways, may not be fully accessible to wheelchairs or scooters at the time that they desire or that they cannot go ashore at all. When a ship is unable to dock, guests are taken ashore on smaller boats called tenders. Some guests with limited mobility may find it difficult to embark or disembark the ship at certain times while at dock or while tendering. Note: scooters and wheelchairs and/or guests that weigh 100lbs or more are not allowed to be transferred from the ship to tender and/or from tender to shore.

Please see a list of all ports with tender operations:

Shore Excursions

Some shore excursion facilities may not be fully accessible to guests with mobility challenges. Although we endeavor to make sure that companies based in the United States provide accessible shore excursions, we cannot guarantee that all are able to provide facilities that are accessible to persons with disabilities. Moreover, shore excursions in foreign ports can present challenges to disabled guests. For detailed, up-to-date information on accessibility issues involving shore excursions, we strongly recommend that you contact the Access Desk (866) 584-9756) prior to travel.

Amenities and Services include:

• Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise
  • A limited number of wheelchair accessible staterooms with grab bars in the bathrooms, raised beds, adjustable hanging rods in the closets, shower seats, extra wide doors for easy access
  • Wheelchair rental available for use on the vessels
  • All Norwegian Cruise Line ships have pool lifts
  • All Norwegian Cruise Line ships have accessible restrooms in a variety of public spaces
  • Accessible transportation to and from the vessel can be arranged in advance for all US destinations with 15 day advance notice provided to the Access Desk
  • The Access Desk can provide specific and up to date information on the accessibility of shore excursions prior to your cruise

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Guests who Are Deaf or Have Low Hearing

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Deaf or Low Hearing guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means making every attempt to make the technology available to assist Deaf and Low Hearing guests during your Freestyle cruise experience. We strongly encourage Deaf or Low Hearing guests to contact the Access Desk prior to cruising so that your specific needs can be discussed prior to your cruise. Many different options are available prior to the cruise and needs vary from guest to guest.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Amenities and Services include:

• Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise
  • The Sky, Sun and Pride of America have staterooms that are hard wired for Deaf and Low Hearing guests which includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection
  • On those vessels where rooms have not been hardwired, a portable kit is available upon request in your stateroom that includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection.
  • Individual and/or group emergency drills for all Deaf or Low Hearing guests upon request
  • Pagers are available upon request on all Norwegian Cruise Line vessels to alert Deaf or Low Hearing Guests to vessel announcements and a manual for same can be provided in advance.
  • Assistive listening devices are available on many vessels in the main theatre through the Guest Service Desk.
  • Closed-captioned televisions are available for your state room.
  • Closed-captioned DVD movies are available upon request prior to sailing.
  • Sign language interpreting services may be provided for Deaf guests if that is their primary means of communication. A request for sign language interpreting should be made with the Access Desk at the time of booking through the Special requirements Information Form that can be obtained from the Access desk, but no later than 90 days prior to sailing. Requests are subject to a number of considerations, including but not limited to, the availability of interpreters and cabin space. Sign language interpreting services may be provided on cruises that depart from and/or return to the U.S.
  • TTY Phones are available onboard all ships except Norwegian Spirit that use handy phones and text messaging.

The guest can request that the phone in their room be replaced with a TTY phone and this will enable them to communicate with the Guest Services Desk staff by teletype.

Guests who are Blind or Have Low Vision

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Blind or Low Vision guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means providing personal, customized service to make your cruise fun, safe and happy.

Amenities and Services Available include:

• A vessel orientation tour is available upon request
  • Service animals allowed onboard and must be arranged through the Access Desk prior to the cruise
  • Braille / tactile signage

Other Needs or Challenges

Norwegian Cruise Line welcomes guests with medical, emotional or any other challenge to Freestyle cruising. If you have a need that has not been discussed, we encourage you to contact us at the Access Desk regarding your special requirements or requests and our policies and procedures. Please call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Children with Disabilities

Children with disabilities are welcome on all Norwegian Cruise Line vessels. Please contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures regarding children with disabilities and how we can assist you in making your child's cruising experience safe, fun and comfortable

Cognitive, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

Guests with cognitive, intellectual and development disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease are encouraged to contact the Access Desk to discuss your cruise. Upon request, every effort will be made to meet your cruising special requirements, including:

• Early boarding
  • Boarding and disembarkation assistance

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guest with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin

Dialysis

Guests requiring continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis are welcome to board all vessels. However, Norwegian Cruise Line does not have the ability to assist or administer hemo-dialysis treatments. Those guests using peritoneal dialysis should have all solutions and equipment needed to perform the dialysis delivered to the vessel on the day of sailing at least two hours prior to sailing. Please contact the Access desk prior to the cruise for more information on Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures.

Oxygen

The ship is not equipped to provide guests with these services other than on an emergency basis in the Ship's Medical Center. For security and safety reasons, we have selected Special Needs at Sea as the only outside vendors that we will permit to deliver oxygen supplies to the ship. We believe they will meet your on board respiratory needs:

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: (toll-free) 800-513-4515 or 954-585-0575

Fax: 954-585-0577

www.specialneedsatsea.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/index.cfm/about-us/cruise-lines/norwegian-cruise-line/

You are also welcome, however, to bring your own oxygen and/or oxygen equipment from your home. Please note that our staff and crew are not permitted to handle your oxygen and/or oxygen equipment during the embarkation and disembarkation process. Thus, you must be able to handle your supplies if you bring your own. Please contact the Access & Compliance Department prior to sailing if you will require oxygen while on your cruise. Please note that liquid oxygen is not permitted on any Norwegian Cruise Line vessel.

For the safety and security of everyone, oxygen and/or oxygen equipment deliveries will not be accepted from any other company other than Special Needs at Sea.

Pregnancy

Norwegian Cruise Line will not accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the time their travel with Norwegian Cruise Line concludes. A statement from the expectant mother's doctor (letter head form required), stating her due date and fitness to travel must be sent to Norwegian Cruise Line's Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line will not be responsible or liable for any complications of pregnancy which arise or occur during the cruise.

Short Stature

Kits are available upon request to all guests of short stature, which include:

• Ultra stable stepstool with innovative handle
  • Fold-up closet rod adapter
  • Universal security latch adapter
  • Easy action reaching and grabbing tool
  • Versatile poke and pull tool
  • Heavy duty nylon tote and storage bag

First off, thank you again, russianmom, for the email address of the access desk. I prefer to get things in writing, so I emailed them. This is part of the response I received via email (within 48 hours, I might add):

" I will email our onboard dining and medical staff to inform them of your special dietary needs. Also you must meet with the group services coordinator upon embarkation to introduce yourself and further discuss the preparation of your meals."

The other parts of the email pertain to my son's specific allergies and that they do not 100% guarantee there will be no cross contamination. It also goes on to say about life threatening situations at sea where you may not have access to basically a hospital for days. These are all given, but I understand their need to cover themselves.

So, who is the group services coordinator and where do I find them?

I have to say, I am not particularly worried about the situation and it seems like NCL has everything down very well. Even on land, we manage to do just fine when we go out to eat, so with the obvious attention NCL gives to allergy management, it should not be a problem for us.

I just wanted to share the response I received.

First off, thank you again, russianmom, for the email address of the access desk. I prefer to get things in writing, so I emailed them. This is part of the response I received via email (within 48 hours, I might add):

" I will email our onboard dining and medical staff to inform them of your special dietary needs. Also you must meet with the group services coordinator upon embarkation to introduce yourself and further discuss the preparation of your meals."

The other parts of the email pertain to my son's specific allergies and that they do not 100% guarantee there will be no cross contamination. It also goes on to say about life threatening situations at sea where you may not have access to basically a hospital for days. These are all given, but I understand their need to cover themselves.

So, who is the group services coordinator and where do I find them?

I have to say, I am not particularly worried about the situation and it seems like NCL has everything down very well. Even on land, we manage to do just fine when we go out to eat, so with the obvious attention NCL gives to allergy management, it should not be a problem for us.

I just wanted to share the response I received.

I have never met w/ a group services coordinator so I'm not sure. We usually stay in suites so I let the concierge know and they usually hook me up with the correct person. Last trip we were not in a suite and the first night when we went to the MDR I asked for a manager and he came right over and introduced me to another gentleman who would be my point of contact for the rest of the trip.

They even arranged it so I could eat in Teppanyaki.

My understanding is that there is a separate kitchen. I have never had a problem on NCL. They have always been wonderful and accommodating.

As I said I am very careful when eating outside of my pre-ordered meals in the MDR.

And I have to echo what Robin said as you can never be too careful. I would hate for myself or anyone for that matter go into full blown anaphylaxis and suffer the consequences. Just bring the epi-pen and some benadryl and you'll have a wonderful time!

My son has a form of food allergies(dairy) but does not require an epi pen because he is not anaphylactic. We normally just monitor and limit what he eats and ask dairy products be left off food if possible so we did not notify NCL for special arrangments.

On the first night of our cruise last spring we had requested no butter on his veggies. A waitress who was helping our normal one asked if there was an allergy issue. She told us she ws the one who handled the special requests and got us a menu for the following nights dinner and took his order. We were able to place his order every night for the following night and would receive it in either dining room or the buffet. She found out he likes apple pie and put in a standing order for his very own mini apple pie.

Her service really made his week pleasant and I can not say enough good things on how it was handled.

On Embarkation day, at lunch in the Haven Restaurant, A charming couple sailing with their daughter that has food allergies were seated at an adjoining table.

They had barely just sat down, when a crew member (dietitian?) immediately came over and introduced herself.

During the whole cruise, this crew member hovered over the sweet young lady like a mother-hen. She was always served "special foods" that were fun and fancy, even her meal in the Cirque Show arrived along with everyone else.

We love NCL, and seeing the TLC for this family will never be forgotten, and made us even bigger NCL fans.

My daughter has Celiac Disease. NCL has been fantastic with accomodating us. So, I'm sure just like for her, they can prepare food seperately and be able to make most things to accomodate the food allergy. She has been able to pick most things off the menu, like soup for example and prepare it with out flour, so i'm sure they can make things and avoid putting in egg, mustard or what ever the food allergy may be.

Be sure to fill out the guest special request form and talk to the maitr de in the main dining room once on board.

We also avoid the buffet. Not worth the risk of cross contamination.

That is so good to know! My daughter is wheat free...she is not celiac but we mainly tell restaurants gluten free as it is easier for them to understand. I was worried about her choices since she is only 6 years old. She will be happy!

I wonder if it is crazy to ask for low sodium meals. The last 2 cruises (gem and jewel) there was so much sodium in the food that my ankles swelled like crazy. this happens nowhere else.

yup,....the post above had this paragraph in it. make sure your reservation lists the person with the special dietary needs ahead of time.

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guest with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin

I took the "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Sun last month. They showed us a specific area of the galley on the ship that handles the special dietary meals. They are handled completely separately from all the other meals to prevent cross contamination. I think the exec. sous chef said it is the same person who handles the meals. He said they have around 150-250 passengers with special dietary needs each week. I was very impressed.

• 1 year later...

We just got off Gem. My Mom is gluten sensitive and dealt with the wonderful Jeph as well (she did last year as well). She no longer needs to advise NCL prior to cruising as it is part of her permanent records with them.

SO here is the problem------ we were told many servers had just been promoted to these positions. There was an extreme amount of disconnect with them. Mom would mention gluten free and we got the deer in headlights look. Breakfast she managed on her own since Jeph told her to only ask for fresh eggs (that is for another whole thread) and she would ask for gluten free bread. EVEN with the special order assigned to her a server gave me her appetizer and she got mine. We did not know this until I had already eaten hers and she had half eaten mine (why they were not all served together I know not why). While not a critical issue for her, someone with Celiac's could be seriously ill from this type of error. This happened in Magenta.

I would suggest this -- if you find a server who is familiar with allergies and you find them extremely attentive to this and very careful to serve what was ordered for you, ask to reserve a table each night that they are assigned to. I would hate to see someone terribly ill for their cruise because of a serving error.

Kathy

• 1 month later...

Hi folks

I am off in March 2015 on the NCL Getaway for my first cruise and will most certainly be contacting the NCL helpline informing them of my issues. I note the concerns of the buffets but was wondering if any of them on board have cooking stations where you select an item of fish or meat and have it cooked as you wait. I am in a party of four and don't want the rest of my party missing out on the buffet.

For me its all about asking the right people , hence when I go out to a hotel or restaurant, I tend to ask for the chef rather than have the waiter as a go between.

So my next question is there a chef on hand whom I can ask?.

On the Gem this past March they had an assistant waiter who coordinated all special meals for all passengers on board. When my DW, who is Gluten intolerant, arrived at each dining venue for the meal, they would call in the assistant. The assistant then conferred with our waiter to ensure we received the proper pre-planned meal. Later in each meal he would return with the next day's menu for my DW to pick her meal . The assistant also gave us his ship board cell number to call him at anytime we had any questions about what she could and could not eat. Wonderful service.

That would be the wonderful Jenipher "Jeph" Augustin who has taken great care of my gluten sensitive Mom for two cruises now

I would like to make one other suggestion. Ask for the same table every evening. It will give you the same server. Our recent Gem cruise in October I saw a lot of disconnect and misunderstanding when my Mom mentioned gluten Free or special menu. No risk of this happening using the same wait staff every evening

Kathy

pS. Sorry for the similar post. Just saw I already said something. Oopsie!

Edited by spacewoman