Port Canaveral

MooNGaTe27

Going on the sunshine & have a few questions.This will be my 1st time driving to the port & was wondering does anyone know what lot the sunshine docks at?Also can I drop off my bags with the dock workers then park my car or do you park you car & carry the bags to the ship .

Also is it easier to just get a hotel the day before the cruise do the park & stay & take a cab or the hotel shuttle to the port.

1. Don't sweat the specific terminal ... there are BIG electronic signs as you approach the port that tell you which ship is where with arrows and such .... and each terminal has its own parking. Carn' is typically at the A side (A is north terminals, B is south) and if only one ship is in they have been using terminal 10 (the terminal previously used by RCL) the terminal nearest the Disney terminal . . .

2. You can do it either way ... drop and park or park and carry .... MOST drop and park as the porters are at the curb ready to take your bags ... you'll next see them at your room/cabin

3. MANY arrive the day b4 ... this is highly recommended for those who fly and not a BAD idea for drivers. On the port's web page is a list of local hotels that will give a coupon for 40% off port parking with a one night stay . . . other hotels offer free parking and a shuttle to the pier (most are free) ... and other folks yet use a hotel and move their car to one of the nearby off site parking places which cost WAY less than the port charges and provide free shuttle service. If there is risk of your not getting to the port on time, arriving early is insurance. Depends on where you are driving from, weather, and a thousand other variables. I never worry about it .. but I live 30 minutes from the port .....

decisions decisions decisions

each and every one of these points received discussion every week ......

BEST is a matter of opinion

Edited by Capt_BJ

thanks for the reply.From what I was reading people were saying that the trafic is backed up in the morning getting to the port so I dont know how hard it is to drop off the bags 1st then park how hard is it to wheel your bags from your parked car to the ship.

Do you have to go over a bridge to get from one side of the road to the other, or is the parking lot on the same side where the porters are that take your bags.

Or does Carnival provide a suttle from the parking lot to the drop off point.

Thanks in advance

I've seen Carnival Sunshine at terminal 6 only. Below is a picture showing someone at A6 - could be the Sunshine?

As you can see the 3 level parking garage is across the road. It will be much better to drop first then park. The traffic moves fast. If you are concerned then plan to arrive before 11am and after 1pm - it will be a breeze then.

TerminalA-6.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe

here's a map of the port

canav%20port%20map_zps2tubmty6.jpg

Carn is currently using terminals 6 and 10. Joe's picture shows Carn at 5 and 6 .... 5 is currently under re-construction. Looking at the map you'll see, as I mentioned, there is parking adjacent to each terminal . . . the bag drop off is typically the road between the terminal and the garage.

"traffic is backed up" .... around here 4 cars at a stop light is considered a traffic jam . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Yes, the new terminal 5 three-level parking garage is almost done - right next to the terminal 6 garage.

Here is Carnival at Terminal 10 with the multi-story parking garage in front. As you can see the same advice applies. Drop luggage and crew first, then park and walk back!

TerminalA-10.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe

We have found we get the best price by booking hotel and parking separately. We usually use hotel loyalty points for a free or reduced rate hotel room and use an offsite parking service. In Canaveral, we use Park N Cruise on Merritt Island. They are roughly half the cost of parking in port and have a free shuttle to and from port. They drop you off right at the entrance, so there's no getting luggage from parking area. They are very well-organized and convenient.