QM2 Activities Question

Sphynxie

Just wondering if certain activities require daily attendance to make them worthwhile. For example, do fencing &/or bridge lessons start with class #1 the first sea day, then build the skills each subsequent morning throughout the voyage...or can I start mid cruise? I soon will be embarking on a TA and noticed both activities take place roughly the same time; yet I'd love to try my hand at both pursuits. Plus, I don't know if I want to awaken so early every day on vacation. :cool:

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sphynxie

Just wondering if certain activities require daily attendance to make them worthwhile. For example, do fencing &/or bridge lessons start with class #1 the first sea day, then build the skills each subsequent morning throughout the voyage...or can I start mid cruise? I soon will be embarking on a TA and noticed both activities take place roughly the same time; yet I'd love to try my hand at both pursuits. Plus, I don't know if I want to awaken so early every day on vacation. :cool:

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sphynxie

Hi Sphynxie,

On our recent voyage on July 1st since it was a short one only the Bridge Lessons were offered.

Looking at the Daily Programme the sessions were offered at Days at Sea at 10:30AM and 2PM in the Atlantic Room on Deck 11 Forward Stairway/Elevator A.

Looking in I can say that it was well attended each morning that it was being offered. Fencing was not being offered but Line Dance Lessons were being offered.

Bon Voyage..

Thank you BklynBoy8! You've been a great help. Maybe they won't conflict because one won't be offered. I probably could do 10:30 am for bridge lessons, rather than the 9:30 am I keep seeing in 2016 Daily Programmes.

Ooh, line dancing: I'd be much more likely to harm someone dancing than fencing. My legs never seem aware of what the rest of me is doing. Hence, I row crew or attend a spin class, as my feet are tied down and cannot endanger others around me. Yes, bridge sounds perfect for me....Thanks again!

We've taken the bridge lessons and DW has done the watercolor lessons, both on QM2. The classes are cumulative - lesson 2 builds on lesson 1, etc. My wife went so far as to attend both the morning and afternoon watercolor sessions, more to have more time to work on technique than expecting different things to be taught in the afternoon.

I think if you were to begin attending either of those classes mid-cruise you might be lost unless you really didn't need the material anyway.

Thank you BklynBoy8! You've been a great help. Maybe they won't conflict because one won't be offered. I probably could do 10:30 am for bridge lessons, rather than the 9:30 am I keep seeing in 2016 Daily Programmes.

Ooh, line dancing: I'd be much more likely to harm someone dancing than fencing. My legs never seem aware of what the rest of me is doing. Hence, I row crew or attend a spin class, as my feet are tied down and cannot endanger others around me. Yes, bridge sounds perfect for me....Thanks again!

Hi Sphynxie,

I know what you mean about two left feet in a different direction.

We had a few of those on our last cruise and admitted caution around us. But we still had fun. Best to hide out in the G32 Disco at nite when everyone let everything Hang Out. (Also dark mood lighting)..

You should have a lot more activities especially on a TA. A lot more activities on TA since you are continuously Days at Sea. The pages of the Daily Programme are filled.

Ditto about stationary bikes. I liked doing it but I don't seem to get any place but where I am. lol... So I do like when they have Screen displays to distract you. You will enjoy the Fitness Center on the QM2. It has three parts, Fitness, bikes, treadmills etc... So Enjoy those in between meal workouts. Lucky I didn't gain anything this past cruise.

Enjoy!

Your response is very helpful, Underwatr. Although it will require more effort on my part, I am glad the classes are cumulative. More to learn that way!

With my dilemma to choose fencing or bridge, I found an online contact regarding bridge lessons in our city. It must be a dying game; as the gentleman who answered my enquiry quickly went to work to locate numerous kind folks near our home to teach me. After my return from London, I will walk two blocks to learn a new skill and meet new neighbors. I never envisioned a decision to travel so far would bring me even closer to my community.

Armed with your answer, I now am free to choose foils as well as I may turn a bucolic watercolor scene into something a five-year-old child will find offensive & juvenile. [emoji6]

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Sphynxie,

I know what you mean about two left feet in a different direction.

We had a few of those on our last cruise and admitted caution around us. But we still had fun. Best to hide out in the G32 Disco at nite when everyone let everything Hang Out. (Also dark mood lighting)..

You should have a lot more activities especially on a TA. A lot more activities on TA since you are continuously Days at Sea. The pages of the Daily Programme are filled.

Ditto about stationary bikes. I liked doing it but I don't seem to get any place but where I am. lol... So I do like when they have Screen displays to distract you. You will enjoy the Fitness Center on the QM2. It has three parts, Fitness, bikes, treadmills etc... So Enjoy those in between meal workouts. Lucky I didn't gain anything this past cruise.

Enjoy!

Dear BklynBoy8,

I promise not to subject my fellow crossers to my unruly left feet on the dance floor; yet I hope I may peacefully sit and vicariously enjoy the braver, more skilled whirlers on a few nights at sea. Being a solo cruiser this time, even that passive moment feels a bit awkward.

No weight gain? I'm envious. Yes, that gym may see me now that I know you were able to stave off the bulge of so many meals.

I commiserate with you regarding the stationary bike. My 10-years-younger :ohusband can exercise anywhere; however I require a task. I cannot end up where I started, such as cycling around a track. If I can ride to the store to buy rice, then I will go. Hence the TA, rather than a round-trip sailing with port excursions. I will have reached another location when I disembark!

Again, your kind words have heightened my enthusiasm for this solo adventure. Less than one week to go!

Many thanks,

Sphynxie

How very perfect it sounds, HelloKittysMum! There is something fulfilling about creating an object with one's hands. I look forward to taking a stab at this medium. As a less talented amateur, I will make sure the room & its supplies are left in perfect working order for your August crossing.

May you have a wonderful time on board!

Sphynxie

How very perfect it sounds, HelloKittysMum! There is something fulfilling about creating an object with one's hands. I look forward to taking a stab at this medium. As a less talented amateur, I will make sure the room & its supplies are left in perfect working order for your August crossing.

May you have a wonderful time on board!

Sphynxie

I am an enthusiastic amateur. I had always wanted to learn watercolours and took the chance on our first TA. Am not very good at all compared to a lot of people but it is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Joining qm2 next week. I hope to try things out of my comfort zone. Would I be out of place at a painting class if I am a beginner?Not too artistic but thought I might give it a go?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

s1244.photobucket.comhttp:20170705_101700_zpsc1cnsare.jpg?t=1500697984

Dear BklynBoy8,

I promise not to subject my fellow crossers to my unruly left feet on the dance floor; yet I hope I may peacefully sit and vicariously enjoy the braver, more skilled whirlers on a few nights at sea. Being a solo cruiser this time, even that passive moment feels a bit awkward.

No weight gain? I'm envious. Yes, that gym may see me now that I know you were able to stave off the bulge of so many meals.

I commiserate with you regarding the stationary bike. My 10-years-younger :ohusband can exercise anywhere; however I require a task. I cannot end up where I started, such as cycling around a track. If I can ride to the store to buy rice, then I will go. Hence the TA, rather than a round-trip sailing with port excursions. I will have reached another location when I disembark!

Again, your kind words have heightened my enthusiasm for this solo adventure. Less than one week to go!

Many thanks,

Sphynxie

Oh BTW, there is also the Romp Around The Promenade Deck. Three times around equals close to 1 mile. How delightful to stroll in the morning those several times with the fresh sea air and those accompanying your around the Deck as encouragement. What a wonderful way to start the day or working off a meal.

Also I too enjoy sitting and watching those energetic participates in the Queen Room or those with those Super Moves in G32 Disco late at Night. Where they get that energy at that time is amazing. G32 is a great place to chill out.....lol...

Joining qm2 next week. I hope to try things out of my comfort zone. Would I be out of place at a painting class if I am a beginner?Not too artistic but thought I might give it a go?

I was a beginner (and still am). The teacher I had (both times in 2015 it was the same teacher by chance) assumed no knowledge and covered mixing colours (from just three primary colours) different strokes, hue, focal points I the picture. I am still not very good bit I find it very relaxing and something different. I will be taking my paints with me (you can buy a starter kit on board which has everything you need but if you have your own stuff (e.g. from a previous cruise) then there is no charge) on 4th August.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Kerry,

I have no artistic ability whatsoever. We can bumble through it together. Now if you wanted to head outside your comfort zone by trying stand-up comedy, I would have to support you from the audience. That's a fear I'd have to overcome after facing all my others first. :eek: Watercolors sound like a good start for either one of us.

Thank you, HelloKittysMum, for the excellent details. We live in a neighborhood filled with famous artists; thus I feel a bit inept expressive any creativity. This class should be not only relaxing, but also may help me try my hand outside of the glare of my permanent peers.

Sphynxie

s1244.photobucket.comhttp:20170705_101700_zpsc1cnsare.jpg?t=1500697984

Oh BTW, there is also the Romp Around The Promenade Deck. Three times around equals close to 1 mile. How delightful to stroll in the morning those several times with the fresh sea air and those accompanying your around the Deck as encouragement. What a wonderful way to start the day or working off a meal.

Also I too enjoy sitting and watching those energetic participates in the Queen Room or those with those Super Moves in G32 Disco late at Night. Where they get that energy at that time is amazing. G32 is a great place to chill out.....lol...

I look very forward to heading counterclockwise around Deck 7...so much so I've been occasionally watching videos in happy anticipation of the actual promenade.

I'm glad I may sit down and enjoy from afar the talents of more advanced $/or daring dancers. I'm looking forward to all the available music on board as well. My flight to NYC on Thursday will begin the adventure!

Thank you for all the wonderful tips!

Sphynxie