Silversea excursions

Solo mi!

I watched some program on the Alhambra before we went. It was on YouTube. It explained how the Alhambra was constructed and based upon a mathematical equation. It was fascinating and made me appreciate the building so much more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Alhambra is amazing, yes. If you have the chance to see it, by all means do so.

We spent a week in Marbella, independently, a few years back. We did some long car trips including Granada and Cordoba, so we toured Alhambra on our own at a nice relaxed pace.

Well worth the trip, we thought. Then we walked down to the city of Granada to see the church with Ferdinand and Isabella's tombs, and grabbed some lunch before heading back to Marbella. It was 2h each way but Malaga is probably 30m closer so you're looking at probably 1h30 minimum bus time. And the route is quite hilly IIRC, so the bus may be slower than the BMW 3-series that we were driving...;)

We actually never got to Malaga from Marbella. We tried one day and could not find parking so we gave up and went to the mountains that day instead.

I watched some program on the Alhambra before we went. It was on YouTube. It explained how the Alhambra was constructed and based upon a mathematical equation. It was fascinating and made me appreciate the building so much more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll check into what YouTube has. Thank you! I am also re-reading Tales of the Alhambra.

The Alhambra is amazing, yes. If you have the chance to see it, by all means do so.

We spent a week in Marbella, independently, a few years back. We did some long car trips including Granada and Cordoba, so we toured Alhambra on our own at a nice relaxed pace.

Well worth the trip, we thought. Then we walked down to the city of Granada to see the church with Ferdinand and Isabella's tombs, and grabbed some lunch before heading back to Marbella. It was 2h each way but Malaga is probably 30m closer so you're looking at probably 1h30 minimum bus time. And the route is quite hilly IIRC, so the bus may be slower than the BMW 3-series that we were driving...;)

We actually never got to Malaga from Marbella. We tried one day and could not find parking so we gave up and went to the mountains that day instead.

Unfortunately, the SS excursion does not allow time to spend in Granada. That will have to be on the bucket list for next time. I would love to visit the church where Ferdinand and Isabella are entombed. Yes, I would imagine your BMW was much faster! Thanks!

Penny

I do recall the bus ride to Alhambra was long.

Bring a book or your Kindle.

We stopped for a terrific lunch on the way back.

I've just been looking at YouTube. Great suggestion! I will be booking the tour on day one for sure.

Again, thank you!

On an Oceania cruise, we booked an excursion to Granada with Spain Day Tours. They included the admission to the Alhambra, as well as a nice walking tour of the city of Granada. They did an excellent job and charged much less than the ship's excursion. You might check them out and see if they have a tour available.

On an Oceania cruise, we booked an excursion to Granada with Spain Day Tours. They included the admission to the Alhambra, as well as a nice walking tour of the city of Granada. They did an excellent job and charged much less than the ship's excursion. You might check them out and see if they have a tour available.

Thank you, I'll look at the site!

I recall we had plenty of time to go through the buildings, keeping in mind that there are strict time and capacity controls of the complex.

We had a very good guide who provided us with lots of information, but there is no substitute for educating oneself beforehand in order to develop an appreciation for that which you are visiting and experiencing.

...there is no substitute for educating oneself beforehand in order to develop an appreciation for that which you are visiting and experiencing.

Wait...what...we have to educate OURSELVES??!!ONE11 :)

Yep Rick.

Or not...each to his or her own.

Purely my opinion, should I have added a disclaimer?

:-)

Actually I'm with you, Spin. Depending on my mood I get either amused or annoyed by folks that don't do anything to help themselves. I've seen a few...

Rick,

I admit to not edumacating myself all the time, it's just a philosophy I have adopted and ascribed to in my dotage.

I used to just "experience", which in my youth was a little sensationalist and titillating. Now those nerve fibers don't fire as well, so I supplant them with a shot of knowledge.

:-)

Edited by spinnaker2

I recall we had plenty of time to go through the buildings, keeping in mind that there are strict time and capacity controls of the complex.

We had a very good guide who provided us with lots of information, but there is no substitute for educating oneself beforehand in order to develop an appreciation for that which you are visiting and experiencing.

Thanks to your YouTube suggestion, I am educating myself beforehand. i would imagine that there will not be as many people touring the site due to the fact that it will be early November. I am also considering the comment that if I am on a SS excursion, the ship won't sail if we are late returning. That, to me, IS a big deal!!