Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So after my computer crashed twice, here is the beautiful Yardley:

30syslt.jpg

Yardley refusing to look at me while I'm trying to take a picture:

hvnk95.jpg

Yardley waiting very patiently for her dinner:

rh8x83.jpg

Yardley trying to convince me to pet her instead of doing school work:

2dmc946.jpg

I have dozens so I hope you will forgive me for showing off my cute doggie. Also sorry they are all rotated! For some reason when I uploaded them they rotated!

I am so frustrated right now. I am in training with my puppy Saxon. Yes, we are both training, as I'm sure you all know. LOL.

I don't know how many times I have had to ask people to either move out of our way (being polite, of course), and especially to not pet Saxon. I understand how cute he is. Trust me. His "I'm the cutest thing in the world" eyes gets me all the time. LOL. But I don't understand why people can't leave him alone. Parents are the worst! They encourage their kids to pet Saxon! He is a puppy and doesn't need any more distractions. He is already a "butterfly" dog at times. LOL

Suggestions please? I'm guessing I can't smack them. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so frustrated right now. I am in training with my puppy Saxon. Yes, we are both training, as I'm sure you all know. LOL.

I don't know how many times I have had to ask people to either move out of our way (being polite, of course), and especially to not pet Saxon. I understand how cute he is. Trust me. His "I'm the cutest thing in the world" eyes gets me all the time. LOL. But I don't understand why people can't leave him alone. Parents are the worst! They encourage their kids to pet Saxon! He is a puppy and doesn't need any more distractions. He is already a "butterfly" dog at times. LOL

Having been there -recently - I have gotten very good at stopping people and saying "No!"

I've actually "barked" it quite forcefully at a few people, as they approach, saying "No! Don't touch the dog! "

Similar problem. Cute young dog. He is a bit too friendly.

People are amazingly stupid. They also mostly don't understand the difference between a service dog and a therapy dog.

Having a red vest has helped some.

Then, if they ask to pet him, say, "I'm sorry, he is working right now." In my case, I generally follow it with, "if you distract him, he could miss a signal from me and cause me to fall" I often follow that with a short bit of info to the kids on why you never pet a service dog withou r permission.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You can order "do not touch" patches from Amazon. Either put them on the vest or if you can't on the vest (I can't on Halo's vest, it is leather with a hard handle) hem a bandana that the collar can go through and put the patch on that. It doesn't stop the petting, but helps.

The biggest problem I have is people trying to be sneaky and petting him on the rear without him seeing them coming. Startles him, seriously the ONLY thing that bothers him, and he is my mobility dog. Some day I am going to land on my a**. Hopefully that idiot that startled Halo will call 911 if I am hurt.

Linda and Halo

Oh! My! What did you all do, wait until MaMa goes away and then come onboard!!!!! WELCOME! To all of you.

I'm so glad that you've come by and that you're going to try cruising with your dogs.

There's just NO WAY to STOP the people who insist on touching your dog from doing it. The best thing you can do is to stop walking; stay calm; ask them to wait until you've given your dog a proper command and then they may commence with the loving. Then ask them to please stop touching, talking or making eye contact with your dog so that you may resume your walk.

I know that the curiosity factor just overwhelms the public [especially the children] so much that they can't hold back. But, if they would just realize how much they might be putting you and your dog in danger maybe they'd STOP and THINK first! [Although, I highly doubt it! ;p]

We can only teach them, one at a time.

I had an amazing road trip with my Grandchildren [over 2200 miles] and my Granddaughter was so beautiful, I teared-up more than a few times. She's just such a lovely child, with such a promising future.....I wish Morey could have seen the moment when she accepted her diploma.......don't we all live for just these moments! And, my car performed like a gem.........Thank you to all who helped me with that decision!

Horton was his usual professional self and even with all the blasting horns and screams he held himself together. There was a point when I thought for sure he was going to crawl upon my lap, but, he just gave me a "Mommy make them stop" look and down he layed.

The weather in Eugene, Oregon was around 48degrees and rainy. We came home to 98degrees and a sweltering heat wave. Horty did get a bit sick yesterday and I let him just rest in the air conditioned house as long as he wanted. We really went from one extreme to another.

Again, welcome everyone......I love the pictures of Yardley and Saxon.

Val, it is scary going on your first cruise with your Service Dog. Remember, to give yourself lots and lots of time going from one venue to another. People will want to ask lots of questions. Be ready to be a great ambassador for all of us. Go to the Hotel Managers [Purser's] Desk, upon entering the ship to find out where the potty box has been placed. If you have a veranda, ask them to move to there [if you'd like.]

Make sure that you place your dog against a wall or pillar when your dining so that no one steps on him/her [the thing that scares SD's the most is being stepped on], it can make them shy if done too often. When you go into a dark lounge or theatre place yourself in a spot where other passengers won't be walking near your dog [they're not expecting to have a dog laying on the floor.] I find a seat near an end of a row and lay him down against a wall and make sure that no one has to step over him, ever!!!!

If you pre-think where you're going to sit and where your dog is going to lay, it just makes everything so much easier. And, it soon becomes a dance!

If you get into an elevator and someone balks about your dog, ignore them, or, just get off and wait for another elevator. Try NOT to get into any confrontations with anyone about your dog, just walk away. There's really nothing you can do about folks who don't like dogs, or who say they're allergic or who just want to argue.

Enjoy your cruise, your way, and I promise if you keep a smile on your face and keep moving forward.......you'll have a wonderful time!!!!! :D

hvnk95.jpg

rh8x83.jpg

Yardley trying to convince me to pet her instead of doing school work:

2dmc946.jpg

I have dozens so I hope you will forgive me for showing off my cute doggie. Also sorry they are all rotated! For some reason when I uploaded them they rotated!

She looks like a sweetie pie.

Dianne

They encourage their kids to pet Saxon! He is a puppy and doesn't need any more distractions. He is already a "butterfly" dog at times. LOL

I agree that a vest with a "do not pet" patch is the best deterrent. I try to anticipate the petting if I seen it coming - some people just can't seem to help themselves. I always tell people I am okay with them petting Henri as long as they ask first. At least that person will know to ask first the next time he or she sees a service dog.

When we were in Seattle, we passed a class of children on a school field trip - the teacher was great - she told the class do not pet the dog or distract her she is working.

Dianne

Oh! My! What did you all do, wait until MaMa goes away and then come onboard!!!!! WELCOME! To all of you.

I'm so glad that you've come by and that you're going to try cruising with your dogs.

Welcome back Roz - glad to hear that you had such a great trip.

Dianne

Roz, what do you mean?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

For instance: I'm standing in an elevator and this man was standing near me and was telling Horton to "sit!" On other occasions I've had folks who insist on telling him to "shake", "sit", "lay down", or they'll purposely drop something and ask him to "get it." The last one are the people who know some of his specific commands.

I find myself rolling my eyes. I try to just hold his leash tightly and move away from them. If I know them, I will ask them to please not give him commands unless they ask me if it's okay.

I realize it's fun to have such a well-trained animal in their midst and to watch Horton immediately respond to their requests is very exciting. It's just not always a convenient thing when he's working!!!!

Roz, have you traveled to cozumel? Any problems with businesses not wanting your service dog in their establishment? Just wanted some advice from someone who's been.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

Yes. And, it was hit and miss. One restaurant was very nice and a shop was very upset to see a dog in it and asked me to please take him out.

I did find some lose dogs roaming about, you have to be very careful! I was with someone and she was always on the look-out for strays.

Yes. And, it was hit and miss. One restaurant was very nice and a shop was very upset to see a dog in it and asked me to please take him out.

I did find some lose dogs roaming about, you have to be very careful! I was with someone and she was always on the look-out for strays.

Thank you for responding. We'll be a group of 8 so we'll definitely be on the lookout. We are just planning on going to Nachi Cocum. It's supposed to be not very busy so hopefully it's a nice relaxing day.

Thank you for responding. We'll be a group of 8 so we'll definitely be on the lookout. We are just planning on going to Nachi Cocum. It's supposed to be not very busy so hopefully it's a nice relaxing day.

Something to think about; Nachi Cocom is a private beach club area and although they're very welcoming please make sure to keep your dog on leash and acting with good manners at all times.

I realize it's fun to have such a well-trained animal in their midst and to watch Horton immediately respond to their requests is very exciting. It's just not always a convenient thing when he's working!!!!

I don't think I have had this happen - whether I knew them or not I would say please don't give Henri any commands. It is confusing for her and she needs to be focused on what I have asked her to do.

Dianne

Something to think about; Nachi Cocom is a private beach club area and although they're very welcoming please make sure to keep your dog on leash and acting with good manners at all times.

Yes that would be a disservice for all other handlers if we exhibited bad behavior. The organization that trained Angel was very thorough when we went in for training about the level of responsibility and etiquette we were to uphold.

Thank you so much for always giving great advice. I always love reading about your adventures.

OMG! I have goose bumps all over for the cuteness of your little grandson..........what's his name? I vote for "Shadow!" One thing is for darn sure.......he made me smile today!!! I love the fat, little tummies!!! And, how the blonde hair shows on them!!!!

You are going to be so happy and have so much fun.....Wexy is going to have to be such a careful big Uncle, so as not to push the little guy around too much!!!!

Thanks for sharing the great photos. :hearteyes:

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered the patches for his vest. I know Saxon is adorable but he is just in his 4th week of training. He already has to deal with all new things and it is frustrating when people interrupt our training. Yesterday I actually had someone try to tell him to sit! Roz, you are right, I honestly didn't think anyone would do that. LOL. This lady told me that service dogs should sit the instant I stop walking. I tried to explain that he cannot sit bc if I begin to fall, how can he brace against me if he is sitting? She then told me he wasn't a REAL service dog since everyone knows those dogs know when to sit.

Wow, good to know! LOL. Yes, he is a REAL service dog. Yes, he is still a "little" puppy. Ok, so he weighs 60lbs already. He is still little. LOL. I know Saxon isn't perfect and will still be nervous or scared at times. But that doesn't mean he isn't a real service dog!

Oh, one other thing, I'm so glad to know your dogs sigh and groan too. Saxon is very vocal, not barking, but he makes all kinds of noises. Glad he isn't alone! [emoji4]

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered the patches for his vest. I know Saxon is adorable but he is just in his 4th week of training. He already has to deal with all new things and it is frustrating when people interrupt our training. Yesterday I actually had someone try to tell him to sit! Roz, you are right, I honestly didn't think anyone would do that. LOL. This lady told me that service dogs should sit the instant I stop walking. I tried to explain that he cannot sit bc if I begin to fall, how can he brace against me if he is sitting? She then told me he wasn't a REAL service dog since everyone knows those dogs know when to sit.

Wow, good to know! LOL. Yes, he is a REAL service dog. Yes, he is still a "little" puppy. Ok, so he weighs 60lbs already. He is still little. LOL. I know Saxon isn't perfect and will still be nervous or scared at times. But that doesn't mean he isn't a real service dog!

Oh, one other thing, I'm so glad to know your dogs sigh and groan too. Saxon is very vocal, not barking, but he makes all kinds of noises. Glad he isn't alone! [emoji4]

No one and I mean NO ONE has the right to make you feel badly about anything you do with your dog. You know your dog and you know what works with him and your dog trusts in your good judgment for him.......It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will put their 2 cents in at every opportunity.

I had a lady grab Horton's leash when she didn't think that he was far enough back in an elevator, while we were going to my accountants office. Talk about nervy!!!! I responded with a quick "jerk" and a loud "stop", she responded very well with this. Very similar to dog training, I must say!!!!! ;p

I swear, one day Horton is going to come out with "words" instead of grunts and groans. I don't mind it at all when he does this, and I never correct him for it. I actually think it's really cute when he expresses himself with sounds.....He has a lot of important stuff to say, I'm quite sure!!!!! :)

Hey DKD, how's your new baby working out?

OMG! I have goose bumps all over for the cuteness of your little grandson..........what's his name? I vote for "Shadow!" One thing is for darn sure.......he made me smile today!!! I love the fat, little tummies!!! And, how the blonde hair shows on them!!!!

You are going to be so happy and have so much fun.....Wexy is going to have to be such a careful big Uncle, so as not to push the little guy around too much!!!!

Thanks for sharing the great photos. :hearteyes:

I'm in love already Roz! ❤️ See him kissing my son? Ugh They are naming him Forrest. I suggested a ton of names but that's what they wanted. I'm going to call him Gumpy. Haha. Wexler is awesome with puppies. They are going to try to use CCI commands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app