Need small Camera - Good in Low Light

CruisermanVA

On my August cruise I took nice photos at the various ports with my Panasonic superzoom (FZ28) but I relied on my cell phone (an LG with a 5mp camera) to take photos on the ship. My FZ28 takes only fair pictures indoors without the flash and I didn't feel like carrying a superzoom around my neck when relaxing on the ship.

Once I arrived home I realized that my cell phone pictures on the ship were mediocre, at best. Clearly I need a new camera for on-ship pictures - one that's good in low light. My next cruise is not happening until August 2015 so I have plenty of time to make the purchase. My upper limit is $250 but I'd like to spend less. I want a camera that I can easily slip into my pocket - about the size of a smartphone.

I prefer Canon but I'm open to others. I'm currently looking at a Canon S110 (though it's kind of chunky), Canon Elph 340 HS, Nikon S6800, Sony WX220 or Sony WX80. Anyone have any experience with these cameras? Others you would recommend?

Thanks.

What you are asking for will cost you alot more than $250. The only small camera that would be considered good in low light would be the Sony RX100 series - there are 3 generations of them. Small cameras means the camera probably have a small sensor which is terrible in low light. The Sony has a much larger sensor in a small body. The Panasonic LX-7 might do o.k., but it is a larger camera (not something you can slip into your shirt pocket).

Low light is the costliest aspect of a camera, because it requires a larger sensor and faster lens.

Sub -$250 compact cameras typically are about equivalent to a good smart phone in the low light department.

The cheapest good low light compact is the rx100-- the original version can now be found for under $400.

Recently, a few even better cameras have come along -- Canon g7x for $700. The new version of the rx100 for $800. The Panasonic lx100, for $900.

The s110 is the best of the cameras you mentioned. A little better than an iPhone. The Elph isn't really any better.

I used the Panasonic TZ40 (ZS30 in USA).

Carried it around the boats and ports in my jeans pocket, no worries.

Many good shots taken inside in the lounges etc.

The Stability Control is excellent, hand held shots at 1/15th very acceptable.

Beauty of this unit is that the grid coordinates are recorded. When loading to iPad via the cameras WiFi, the iPad automatically lists the photos under the place name. Click on the place name, a map opens up showing you where the photo was taken.

As far as using the TZ instead of an SLR, the main inconvenience is that you cannot attach filters. Through Europe and the Suez, a polarising filter would have been magic! Mind you, I did not see one SLR using filters???

I did see several other cruisers on the Dawn and Royal, using the TZ40.

There is a TZ60 out now though I haven't investigated it.

Worth a look, anyway.

Happy hunting.

I found that the current crop of small Canon cameras (Elph model) is pathetic. Canon has cut back, probably because of the competition from smartphones, and now offer only one model with a CMOS sensor (Elph 340 hs) and none with the Digic 5 processor. And the reviews of the Elph 340 hs are not good - they say the previous version, the Elph 330 hs, was much better, especially in low light. The Elph 330 hs is similar but has fewer megapixels, a Digic 5 processor and a CMOS sensor.

I couldn't find an Elph 330 hs new but, fortunately, Canon is selling a refurbished version, which I have ordered. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Beauty of this unit is that the grid coordinates are recorded. When loading to iPad via the cameras WiFi, the iPad automatically lists the photos under the place name. Click on the place name, a map opens up showing you where the photo was taken.

I leave this feature off by default. You don't really want to advertise what your kids or grandkids look like, what cool things you own and exactly how to get to your home.

Great feature but like all things that can end up online, caution is advised.

Dave

The Sony RX100's have a large sensor, a 1.8 lens, 28mm-90mm zoom. Light and fits in a small pocket.

The Panasonic LX7 has a small sensor, a 1.4 (Leica) lens, a 24mm wide angle to a 90mm range.

Can fit into a coat pocket.

I used the LX7 and found it fit my needs when I traveled.

I used the Panasonic TZ40 (ZS30 in USA).

Carried it around the boats and ports in my jeans pocket, no worries.

Many good shots taken inside in the lounges etc.

The Stability Control is excellent, hand held shots at 1/15th very

I did see several other cruisers on the Dawn and Royal, using the TZ40.

There is a TZ60 out now though I haven't investigated it.

Worth a look, anyway.

Happy hunting.

I have a panasonic lumix ZS30 as well and really like it. It is a small camera with a 20x zoom. It got some good reviews and I have been happy with it. it is handy when you don't want to haul around your DSLR. It has been discontinued now for the zs40 , so I got a really good price on it. You could probably get it in $250 range now.

I found that the current crop of small Canon cameras (Elph model) is pathetic. Canon has cut back, probably because of the competition from smartphones, and now offer only one model with a CMOS sensor (Elph 340 hs) and none with the Digic 5 processor. And the reviews of the Elph 340 hs are not good - they say the previous version, the Elph 330 hs, was much better, especially in low light. The Elph 330 hs is similar but has fewer megapixels, a Digic 5 processor and a CMOS sensor.

I couldn't find an Elph 330 hs new but, fortunately, Canon is selling a refurbished version, which I have ordered. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

The camera arrived and it's in perfect condition. It's very small and fits easily in my pocket. I've taken some test shots indoors and it's much better than my cell phone and my Panasonic ultrazoom. It also has 10x optical zoom, which is very useful.

I did the same search - small camera good in low light. In January I purchased the Panasonic GM1. It is superb in low light and small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It surpasses the RX100, which I have also used for travel. Take a look at the reviews for the GM1 on DPReview.

The EOS-M with the 22mm pancake can be purchased for around your price point. With an ef mount to ef-m mount converter (watch for specials and don't pay full price) all your ef and ef-s lenses will work, so the camera can double as a back-up for a Canon dslr.

Hope Dave Pierces in monitoring!

In your article on the Sony A6000, you mentioned tethering your old Minolta lens.

I was looking at various used lenses such as Canon etc and was thinking of possibly getting them to use on my Sony(s).

I have no problems using manual settings but is there a downside in tethering?

Hope Dave Pierces in monitoring!

In your article on the Sony A6000, you mentioned tethering your old Minolta lens.

I was looking at various used lenses such as Canon etc and was thinking of possibly getting them to use on my Sony(s).

I have no problems using manual settings but is there a downside in tethering?

"Adapting". ;)

The tethering I referred to was the ability to monitor and control the camera from a computer screen (or tablet) for studio projects such as product photography.

Besides the Sony adapters that adapt any Sony or Minolta A-mount lens to the E-mount, adapters to the A6000 (or any NEX) are available for almost any lens with a longer lens-to-sensor registration distance than the E-mount. This actually includes almost all legacy and current lenses from most brands. There are many different brands of adapters but you need to check reviews for odd brands before trying them. Novoflex is pretty much the gold standard but can be a bit pricey. Metabones makes excellent adapters and even has one for EOS lenses that allows aperture, focus and stabilization to work. Photodiox seems to be a good budget option but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Even with manual focus, magnification and peaking on the NEX cameras makes rapid, fine adjustment very easy. As I mentioned in my review, setting the custom function button next to the shutter release on the A6000 to control focus assist has made working with the manual lenses like the Rokinon 12mm and the Lensbaby a real pleasure.

Hope you're enjoying the A6000. I know I am!

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 4 weeks later...

Good low light performance in general (and I do mean in general), you will need fast lens and larger sensor size. Fast lens because you want to be able to use relatively fast shutter speed to avoid blurry images, and larger sensor for less noise.

At $250 and pocketable, you will not get a large sensor, only "larger" sensor. Your best bets are second-hand Canon S100/110, Panasonic LX5/LX7, Fuji XF1, or the relatively unknown Samsung EX2F (highly recommended with a f/1.4 at the wide end).

Regarding mirrorless systems mentioned, they are only pocketable if you have a pancake pens and you'll have no zoom. Keep that in mind. Also, a fast lens even in a micro four thirds system with the cost of the body will cost you more than $250.

Not sure what level of photography you're at right now but all of the ones I mentioned above can shoot in RAW format. You should shoot RAW with these cameras so that you can somewhat reduce the noise in post processing.

Edited by Centropolis