Scenic Ports?

Hope someone can help or offer advice. My wife & I are considering a cruise to the British Isles & Ireland. What we're wondering is this: are the ports on the typical itinerary at all "SCENIC", or are they the typical "working" port...full of cranes, container ships, etc. By scenic I can only equate it to our Med cruise and sailing into Venice.

Having been to Ireland on a land vacation I can't imagine any of those ports being very scenic. What we're trying to do is weigh the cost of a balcony vs. inside cabin. The cost of airfare from the west coast is very high and every penny is going to help.

Thanks for letting me ramble....looking forward to some good advice from the always helpful CC family.

"Are we there yet?"

If you are watching the pennies take an inside or ocean view & spend the $$ on tours

The ports areas are not exciting & you can always go up on deck if you want to see the sail away

JMO

Which line / ship are you looking at? In Edinburgh, South Queensferry is really scenic because you're anchored under the famous Forth Rail Bridge and tendered ashore to a very pretty little village. No industry around and having a balcony would be great there as you sail down the Forth estuary. However smaller ships dock at either Leith or Rosyth which are more industrial.

Greenock which is the port used for Glasgow has cruise ships berthing a Princes Pier Container Port which is on the town side fairly industrial but on the opposite side has very scenic views over the Clyde and to the mountains beyond, And sail up the Clyde estuary is very attractive especially when you sail between Arran,Bute and the Cumbraes

The time of year may also dictate whether to opt for a balcony or not

We cruised in June one year ..we were upgraded to a balcony but I can say we rarely used it

We would check before heading ashore how cool it was & whether to take the fleece jacket as well as the rain jacket

I would save the $$ & get the ocean view .... but that is just me

Enjoy whatever you decide to do

for the feedback thus far.

As far as cruise line, we are considering Princess and it would be late May. I wonder if the time of year would make much difference in the weather. We spent 2 weeks in Ireland in April/May a few years ago and while it was cool it was certainly pleasant.

Does anyone think; and I realize it's just an opinion; that it would justify springing for a balcony for 1 port if all the others are "working" ports? As far as oceanview, this particular ship doesn't offer any oceanview cabins....it's either interior, balcony or better.

I want you all to know that my bride and I really appreciate the input/feedback!

Thank you

"Are we there yet?"

Edited by ElkGroveCruiser
Update

We're doing the British Isles cruise on Royal Princess next July and for the first time ever have booked an inside cabin. With a port intensive schedule, I don't think there will be a lot of time to use the balcony as there are only two sea days, and I think it will likely be too cool as well. So, we're opting to save the money to use for shore excursions.

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra $$

It may be nice weather in the southern ports but once you hit Scotland it can be wet, cool & cloudy ;)

I would take the inside but that is just me

I can go up on deck to see the sail in or sail out of the scenic ports

Enjoy