Public Transportation From NoVA to Baltimore

dcwalker

Has anyone ever figured out how to take public transportation from Northern Virginia to the Baltimore cruise port? First Pride cruise coming up in a couple of months, well more like a few months, um, more than 1/2 a year. But anyway . . .

Where in NoVA? You can Metro to Union Station and take MARC to Baltimore Penn and cab to the cruise port. You can Metro to Greenbelt and take the bus from Greenbelt to BWI and cab it the rest of the way. You can take VRE to Union Station and MARC to Baltimore.

I doubt that any of those options are any faster than driving from most places in NoVA...

Thanks so much, markeb, for your feedback. Not looking at this option to save time, but to save the cost of parking at the port, and a little for the adventure of getting to port in a very different way! But I'm wondering how much of a savings it would be, once we paid metro and marc and cabs for two. Any idea what the cost for all this is? Have you ever done this? I know I know you're thinking WHY would anyone bother!!

Thanks so much, markeb, for your feedback. Not looking at this option to save time, but to save the cost of parking at the port, and a little for the adventure of getting to port in a very different way! But I'm wondering how much of a savings it would be, once we paid metro and marc and cabs for two. Any idea what the cost for all this is? Have you ever done this? I know I know you're thinking WHY would anyone bother!!

If you check the Metro planner, from Franconia-Springfield Metro to BWI via Greenbelt is $12.40 per person by Smartrip Card, and takes approximately 112 minutes. Figure another $25 and 20 minutes from BWI to the cruise port. Parking at the Metro is $4.85/day, IF you can get one of the 15-17 multi-day spots (first come/first served). Not to mention dragging your bags at least three times and praying Metro doesn't break down...

You could probably take VRE to Union Station and connect to MARC. VRE on the same route is $7.40 per person, only runs in the mornings, and really has little or no room for luggage.

Amtrak would get you there from Alexandria for $29-38 per person. No long term parking in Alexandria.

No, haven't done it. Basically wouldn't...

Has anyone ever figured out how to take public transportation from Northern Virginia to the Baltimore cruise port? First Pride cruise coming up in a couple of months, well more like a few months, um, more than 1/2 a year. But anyway . . .

First question is - where in Northern Virginia? Are you near the Silver or Orange lines? Both will take you to Metro Center, where you can change to the Red line to Union Station. From Union Station you can take Amtrak north toward Baltimore. Get off at Baltimore BWI Airport and either cab or uber to the port of Baltimore. Not sure the cost. You could also take MARC from Union Station. I know nothing about MARC service so someone else will need to weigh in.

I've taken public transportation many times to Union Station (I live in northern VA and take Amtrak to NY every couple of months). From the end of the silver line (Reston) to Metro Center takes a minimum of 90 minutes (I always allow at least 2 hours travel).

To be perfectly honest I would never attempt this - just not worth the effort.

markeb, yes, you did tell me $12.50. I read that post and promptly forgot, thus my repetitive questions. Yeesh. jpcello, yup, I don't think this is worth it. Taking Amtrak from Union Station would certainly defeat the purpose of saving money on parking, and I have a feeling taking Marc is not possible. It's a Sunday cruise, and I don't think Marc runs on Sunday. When I try wmata trip planner with a Sunday date it says no service available for my destination. Oh, well, it was a fun exercise. Thanks, all, for joining in. I may explore the possibilities further once the cruise gets closer. If I approach something feasible, I'll report.