Is it safe?

travellovers2

Do you mean a golf cart?

Haven't seen any horse drawn buggies in GT, not to say there aren't any, as there are horses on the island.

But a golf cart can be worth it. Just enough power to get you around, but no drag racing:D. Safety of the cart though is in the hands of the driver.

Traffic past the airport is fairly light, especially on the road up to the lighthouse. For 2-4 people it might be worth it if you want to take your time. A jeep might be a more powerful way to go and more comfortable for 4 adults. Otherwise, hire a taxi. You can negotiate the fare for a tour to some extent. Although fares are zoned. Drivers are often proud of their island and love showing folks things you might miss in your own.

Edited by crewsweeper

Do you mean a golf cart?

Haven't seen any horse drawn buggies in GT, not to say there aren't any, as there are horses on the island.

But a golf cart can be worth it. Just enough power to get you around, but no drag racing:D. Safety of the cart though is in the hands of the driver.

Traffic past the airport is fairly light, especially on the road up to the lighthouse. For 2-4 people it might be worth it if you want to take your time. A jeep might be a more powerful way to go and more comfortable for 4 adults. Otherwise, hire a taxi. You can negotiate the fare for a tour to some extent. Although fares are zoned. Drivers are often proud of their island and love showing folks things you might miss in your own.

They don't have a horse in front, but the website called them a buggy. We're only 2 adults. We read that there is only one road that takes you to the lighthouse so I guess it's safe. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a golf cart in 2009 when there. Wife and I along with 2 friends toured the entire island. Traffic is not a problem at all and it was safe. We did have a run in with a few stray dogs that kinda chased us but the power of the golf cart took us away without issue. On the way up to the lighthouse, I took a right and went down a somewhat paved path that turned sand/dirt. It was a very isolated part of the beach. Not the cleanest beach but no one around. It was very cool.

There are a couple of "buggy" rental places it seems. Looks like fun to me, but are they "road legal"? They appear to be a little more off road, but if they are road legal they might be a really fun option.

Yes, it's very safe to travel around Grand Turk on your own. Keep your wits and pay attention to the animals in the road, sort of thing, but generally safe to be out and about on your own.

Let us know how the buggy goes if you go that route. My husband is a bigger guy and he would much rather do something like this than a golf cart. :)