Cave tubing question

Peace2U

HI! My family and I will be going to Belize in March and I want to go cave tubing. My issue is that I get sunburned really easily and I didn't know how much of the tubing is in the shaded caves and how much is out in the sun. I need to plan accordingly.

For the most part, you are in the shade, even when walking to the caves along the path (because of all the trees). If you wear sunscreen, you should be fine for those few areas that the sun shines through. :)

Sounds great! Thanks!

The bug situation is highly variable. We've been there several times, and had no problems with bugs except one time. That one time the mosquitoes were unrelenting and you REALLY needed to have some bug spray. You should definitely have some with you, but you often will not need to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
For the most part, you are in the shade, even when walking to the caves along the path (because of all the trees). If you wear sunscreen, you should be fine for those few areas that the sun shines through. :)

We're thinking about cave tubing, but we're concerned about my mom being able to participate. She's 78 years old, and in OK shape. Does anybody know:

How long is the walk?

Is the path very rough?

Are tubers required to propel themselves?

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We're thinking about cave tubing, but we're concerned about my mom being able to participate. She's 78 years old, and in OK shape. Does anybody know:

How long is the walk?

Is the path very rough?

Are tubers required to propel themselves?

TIA!

The walk is as long as you need it to be. They will take their time if there are people with mobility issues. It's a fairly slow walk because you stop frequently and they tell you about things along the way (like the trees there they use to make the ink for money, tasting various plants that are a source of water...and even eating termites). There's just a lot of great information as you walk and for someone who might have mobility problems or can't walk fast, this can be nice.

When we went on one of our trips there, we had an older couple, probably in their 70's and I remember the man had a knee replacement prior to that cruise and he was fine.

The terrain is rocks, sometimes bigger rocks, but there were places each time we went to walk along the side of those rocks if needed. For the most part I didn't find it a hard walk (but then again I'm not 78).

There are 2 entrances to the water. You can decide you want to enter at the first place and not go all the way if she doesn't want to continue.

Some companies (such as .bz) will carry the tubes for you and have them waiting for you were you get in the water. Then once in the water you have a guide that pulls you in the water. All you have to do is relax and they do all the water...sometimes riding in a tube and using their arms to paddle and other times they'll jump out and pull you or walk on the bottom pulling you. It's very relaxing and you don't have to do a thing.

Some companies (such as .bz) will carry the tubes for you and have them waiting for you were you get in the water. Then once in the water you have a guide that pulls you in the water. All you have to do is relax and they do all the water...sometimes riding in a tube and using their arms to paddle and other times they'll jump out and pull you or walk on the bottom pulling you. It's very relaxing and you don't have to do a thing.

What company is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The walk is as long as you need it to be. They will take their time if there are people with mobility issues. It's a fairly slow walk because you stop frequently and they tell you about things along the way (like the trees there they use to make the ink for money, tasting various plants that are a source of water...and even eating termites). There's just a lot of great information as you walk and for someone who might have mobility problems or can't walk fast, this can be nice...

Thank you, Mitsugirly. I really should've asked, "what is the distance of the walk?" :) I think I read elsewhere it's about a mile, true?

Thank you for the tips!

Thank you, Mitsugirly. I really should've asked, "what is the distance of the walk?" :) I think I read elsewhere it's about a mile, true?

Thank you for the tips!

I personally don't know. I would never be able to figure this out by walking it. I'm not good with measurements of any kind. LOL Hopefully someone else will be able to answer you. :)

A word of caution while booking the cave tubing excursions. Make sure that you book with a company that has head rests and that will tie you together with your party with ropes!

We went on this tour back in 2012 with cavetubing.bz and they had us hold onto each other by holding onto other people's feet! They put people's feet underneath our arms and you had to hold onto them (even people that were strangers to us after we hiked a mile to get to the tubing area and had super dirty feet uck!). It got uncomfortable VERY quickly!! We saw other groups that had head rests and were tied together with ropes and wished that we had gone with that company (don't know who they were). We were so uncomfortable during our tour that we didn't really get to enjoy it that much. And then towards the end of the tour my arms were so sore from holding onto my husband's feet the whole time, that I tried to adjusted them and I lost him! Without being attached to the group he started floating away from us all and a guide from a different company went after him and pulled him back! It was honestly a terrible experience for us, BUT I think that if you go with the right company it might be very enjoyable. Just make sure that you look for pictures of the tours before you book.

Edited by melnemac32

• 3 months later...
A word of caution while booking the cave tubing excursions. Make sure that you book with a company that has head rests and that will tie you together with your party with ropes!

We went on this tour back in 2012 with cavetubing.bz and they had us hold onto each other by holding onto other people's feet! They put people's feet underneath our arms and you had to hold onto them (even people that were strangers to us after we hiked a mile to get to the tubing area and had super dirty feet uck!). It got uncomfortable VERY quickly!! We saw other groups that had head rests and were tied together with ropes and wished that we had gone with that company (don't know who they were). We were so uncomfortable during our tour that we didn't really get to enjoy it that much. And then towards the end of the tour my arms were so sore from holding onto my husband's feet the whole time, that I tried to adjusted them and I lost him! Without being attached to the group he started floating away from us all and a guide from a different company went after him and pulled him back! It was honestly a terrible experience for us, BUT I think that if you go with the right company it might be very enjoyable. Just make sure that you look for pictures of the tours before you book.

We went with cavetubing.bz on May 4, and I can confirm: the tubes have headrests, they are tied together with rope (not holding somebody else's feet), you don't have to carry your tube for the 1 mile hike (but you must carry it for the last 0.37 miles if they take you to the "extra" cave, and it was fun! Make sure you wear shoes that are in good shape; it's 0.25 mi walk back to the bus.

You should be fine.. in the cave there will be no sun at all.. the short walk was mostly under trees.. with sun block you will be fine.. we didn't encounter any bugs at all in April.. but it is always good to be safe We booked our tour with cavetubing.bz.. great guides.. great lunch included too...

We used cavetubing.bz in March and also 4 years ago. They have always had headrests and arm rests. The tubes have been always tied together and the 2 guilds are in the water making sure you don't hit the walls or other groups. You do not have to carry your tubes, always available when you enter the river. The tour 4 years ago included 3 Caves which was an extra 1/2 mile walk, The tour in March only included the main cave that all tour companies go through. cavetubing. bz said the trail going to the 2 other caves was washed out by floods they had in Oct 16. cavetubbing.bz is the largest of the cavetubing companies and there is no set time to meet. Once their van is filled by 10 people, they head to the caves. You have a small group of 10 people Max. Another van is waiting for the next group. I have seen the cruise tours with 80 people ties together, taking up 80% of the cave.

We used cavetubing.bz in March and also 4 years ago. They have always had headrests and arm rests. The tubes have been always tied together and the 2 guilds are in the water making sure you don't hit the walls or other groups. You do not have to carry your tubes, always available when you enter the river. The tour 4 years ago included 3 Caves which was an extra 1/2 mile walk, The tour in March only included the main cave that all tour companies go through. cavetubing. bz said the trail going to the 2 other caves was washed out by floods they had in Oct 16. cavetubbing.bz is the largest of the cavetubing companies and there is no set time to meet. Once their van is filled by 10 people, they head to the caves. You have a small group of 10 people Max. Another van is waiting for the next group. I have seen the cruise tours with 80 people ties together, taking up 80% of the cave.

I might add that the cost is $45PP and includes lunch. go to cavetubing.bz for reviews and more information.

we didnt have headrests and werent tied together when we went and had a great time. being tied together does do anything that I can see. head rests? really?