How is mid-August for last minute deals, cruising itself

HowardK

I typically go off-season but due to August being 23 work days, if I take a week off middle of the month I will still have 18 days to get everything I need done.

Has anyone found in the past good last minute deals in August in the NE, and how does it compare - are the generally more children, families in that time frame?

I haven't cruised in August, but I would guess that there would be more kids, as it's still summer vacation time. And as for how the cruising is, depends on where you're going. That's when "hurricane season" is busiest in the Caribbean, not to mention way hotter than I would like. Alaska would be fantastic at that time, though!

I do love last minute deals :)

I think in the northeast most of the kids don't start school until the end of August or even after Labor Day, so it would probably not be so easy to find a bargain rate in mid-August for cruises sailing from the northeast.

But my birthday is the 24th of August and I've taken cruises out of Florida a couple years recently right around my birthday. Especially if you can go later in the month, when even more kids are back in school, you can find excellent last-minute prices. Schools start earlier the further south you go, which I think helps make those bargain weeks.

Though there sure seem to be great last-minute deals popping up all the time, if you are not picky about which ship or itinerary you book. So I'd guess you'd be able to find something!

I got a great "no single supplement" rate on the NCL Gem last August. I booked it in June. It was a little rainy in the Bahamas but smooth waters. There were kids on board but not an overwhelming number of them. I had a really good time!

• 3 weeks later...