What activities did you do with your kids/grandkids while in Bermuda?

lolavix

We'll be going on our first cruise next week, and visiting Bermuda for the first time. (Lots of firsts for us ;)). I've been mainly lurking here for a few months, so I have read a bit about what there is to see in Bermuda. What I haven't seen a lot of, though, is real stories of what people with youngish kids have done while in Bermuda.

I know that if this trip were just my DH and I, it might be different and mirror much of what I've read. However, I am looking for advice/stories from people who have visited Bermuda with their kids. What did the kids really enjoy? What could you have passed on? Is there anything you wished you had done with the kids that you regret not doing? Which beaches were best for you with the kids?

My kids are almost 11 (DD), 8 (DS) and 6 (DS). We'll have almost three days in Bermuda, so it's not a rush, although I know that we won't be able to fit everything in.

Thanks!

Hi there.

We were in Bermuda a few weeks ago and had a great time at Horseshoe Beach and the adjoining coves next door. Even though my son is 18 and my niece is 14, we all had a blast. The swimming is great. Spent almost 8 hours there relaxing. We saw a ton of younger kids playing in the beach.

We also took a Catamaran excursion that all of us enjoyed very much. Rising Son Swim and Snorkel. The crew was awesome. They provide snorkel gear, swim noodles, kayaks and paddle boards.

Also at the Dockyard is a new Mini Golf place and a new playground.

We didn't go there but heard that some did enjoy them very much.

We also took the Fast Ferry to St. George which was a very nice 45 minute ride with great views of Bermuda.

There's a lot to do in Bermuda.

Have fun!!!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We'll be going on our first cruise next week, and visiting Bermuda for the first time. (Lots of firsts for us ;)). I've been mainly lurking here for a few months, so I have read a bit about what there is to see in Bermuda. What I haven't seen a lot of, though, is real stories of what people with youngish kids have done while in Bermuda.

I know that if this trip were just my DH and I, it might be different and mirror much of what I've read. However, I am looking for advice/stories from people who have visited Bermuda with their kids. What did the kids really enjoy? What could you have passed on? Is there anything you wished you had done with the kids that you regret not doing? Which beaches were best for you with the kids?

My kids are almost 11 (DD), 8 (DS) and 6 (DS). We'll have almost three days in Bermuda, so it's not a rush, although I know that we won't be able to fit everything in.

Thanks!

We have been to the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo twice. Two years ago we were there with our grandchildren and they enjoyed this attraction very much. It's a small zoo and you probably will need to spend only two hours or so there. It's in a lovely section of Bermuda, Flatts Village, and the views from the zoo overlooks are great. Have a wonderful cruise. Carol

Hi there.

We were in Bermuda a few weeks ago and had a great time at Horseshoe Beach and the adjoining coves next door. Even though my son is 18 and my niece is 14, we all had a blast. The swimming is great. Spent almost 8 hours there relaxing. We saw a ton of younger kids playing in the beach.

We also took a Catamaran excursion that all of us enjoyed very much. Rising Son Swim and Snorkel. The crew was awesome. They provide snorkel gear, swim noodles, kayaks and paddle boards.

Also at the Dockyard is a new Mini Golf place and a new playground.

We didn't go there but heard that some did enjoy them very much.

We also took the Fast Ferry to St. George which was a very nice 45 minute ride with great views of Bermuda.

There's a lot to do in Bermuda.

Have fun!!!

I can see us spending a lot of time on the beach one day. I've heard a lot of people mention the coves.

I am going to have to talk with my DH and see if he wants to do a Catamaran cruise. I wasn't initially thinking of doing one, but it comes up a bit so it might be worth looking into.

We'll probably get on the ferry as well. I'm thinking that we'll probably want to go to Tobacco Bay beach as well.

We have been to the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo twice. Two years ago we were there with our grandchildren and they enjoyed this attraction very much. It's a small zoo and you probably will need to spend only two hours or so there. It's in a lovely section of Bermuda, Flatts Village, and the views from the zoo overlooks are great. Have a wonderful cruise. Carol

I have this in the back of my mind. We have gone to zoos and aquariums in several cities when we've traveled, so it might be fun to add Bermuda's to our list.

Thanks for your replies!

I highly recommend Horseshoe and Tobacco Bays also! We went to Bermuda last year with our son, who was 3 at the time. He loved the ferry rides and the beaches. I'd also recommend the Crystal/Fantasy Caves. What's nice about Bermuda is the ability to move around easily by bus or ferry. You will love Bermuda! Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you going to be on the Breakaway or the Summit? My family is going on the Summit next week. I have a DD (11) and DS (8) too!

This will be our third time taking the kids to Bermuda. They love it. In the past, we've gone to the Zoo/Aquarium, Crystal Caves and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. They enjoyed those. They loved stopping for ice cream at Bailey's near the caves. Horseshoe Bay was, of course, a big hit. But their favorite thing was our Boston Whaler rental last year. We all had a blast.

Next week, since my parents will also be with us, we've rented a pontoon boat Friday morning. Everyone is looking forward to it. We've also booked a private tour on Wednesday which will take us to Admiralty Park, Botanical Gardens, Tom Moore's Jungle, St. David's Lighthouse and Clearwater Beach.

On Thursday, we'll probably take the ferry to Hamilton, where there's a fort we want to see, then take the bus to Warwick Long Bay and perhaps make our way back toward Horseshoe using the footpaths. It depends on how much walking my parents are up to.

Another really big hit for my daughter was my husband taking her off the ship late at night. She's getting into photography, so hanging out with her dad and learning how to do night shots was a big deal to her. It was very cool to see the ships all lit up.

You're definitely right about not fitting everything in. This is our third trip and we still won't have everything crossed off our Bermuda to-do list. When planning your days, expect that the transportation takes a lot longer than you think it will and is more tiring for the kids. Mine were very excited to ride the buses and ferries at first, but by the second day, they were over it.

While on the ship, look for family activities in the daily programs. My kids aren't big kid's club fans. They might go for an hour here and there. But they are all in for the family activities! We loved Harry Potter and music trivia, but their favorite is running around the ship with us on scavenger hunts.

Have a great time!

Are you going to be on the Breakaway or the Summit? My family is going on the Summit next week. I have a DD (11) and DS (8) too!

This will be our third time taking the kids to Bermuda. They love it. In the past, we've gone to the Zoo/Aquarium, Crystal Caves and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. They enjoyed those. They loved stopping for ice cream at Bailey's near the caves. Horseshoe Bay was, of course, a big hit. But their favorite thing was our Boston Whaler rental last year. We all had a blast.

Next week, since my parents will also be with us, we've rented a pontoon boat Friday morning. Everyone is looking forward to it. We've also booked a private tour on Wednesday which will take us to Admiralty Park, Botanical Gardens, Tom Moore's Jungle, St. David's Lighthouse and Clearwater Beach.

On Thursday, we'll probably take the ferry to Hamilton, where there's a fort we want to see, then take the bus to Warwick Long Bay and perhaps make our way back toward Horseshoe using the footpaths. It depends on how much walking my parents are up to.

Another really big hit for my daughter was my husband taking her off the ship late at night. She's getting into photography, so hanging out with her dad and learning how to do night shots was a big deal to her. It was very cool to see the ships all lit up.

You're definitely right about not fitting everything in. This is our third trip and we still won't have everything crossed off our Bermuda to-do list. When planning your days, expect that the transportation takes a lot longer than you think it will and is more tiring for the kids. Mine were very excited to ride the buses and ferries at first, but by the second day, they were over it.

While on the ship, look for family activities in the daily programs. My kids aren't big kid's club fans. They might go for an hour here and there. But they are all in for the family activities! We loved Harry Potter and music trivia, but their favorite is running around the ship with us on scavenger hunts.

Have a great time!

We're going on the Dawn next Friday.

My DH loves boats, and I've thought about renting a Boston Whaler. It's good to have feedback about how much fun you had.

My son broke his leg a month ago and he just got out of his brace (cast) yesterday, so mobility might be a little bit of an issue for us as well.

We've never cruised, so I have no idea if they'll love the kids' club, but they already love the idea of it, so we'll see.

Thank you so much for feedback on so many attractions.

Enjoy your trip as well!

With a broken leg you can rule our the caves but the aquarium is still feasible. My family thought it was much nicer than the New England Aquarium, yes its small but as a family of 5 we paid less than 1 person would in Boston. Snorkel Park beach near the terminal is doable with a broken leg as well, there is solid flat ground right till about 50-100ft from the water.

With a broken leg you can rule our the caves but the aquarium is still feasible. My family thought it was much nicer than the New England Aquarium, yes its small but as a family of 5 we paid less than 1 person would in Boston. Snorkel Park beach near the terminal is doable with a broken leg as well, there is solid flat ground right till about 50-100ft from the water.

I'm hoping that in another 12 days (when we actually get to Bermuda), he'll be almost as good as new. I am just keeping in mind that we might need to slow down a little bit. He was pretty darn agile on the crutches, though. We did caves two years ago (Ruby Falls in Tennessee), so if we miss them this time, it won't be a big deal. Oddly enough, we've never been to the New England aquarium, but have visited others elsewhere.

Is there anything else interesting to do near the Aquarium/Zoo? I know the road right outside is pretty busy, but I'm wondering if it's worth exploring the area?

I highly recommend Horseshoe and Tobacco Bays also! We went to Bermuda last year with our son, who was 3 at the time. He loved the ferry rides and the beaches. I'd also recommend the Crystal/Fantasy Caves. What's nice about Bermuda is the ability to move around easily by bus or ferry. You will love Bermuda! Enjoy your trip!

How was it doing the cave with your son? We went to Crystal last time we were in Bermuda. They've since opened Fantasy Cave, which I thought could be fun to do, but I don't know how it would be with a small child?