First time to Canada/New England, need a little help

fl gal

This will be our first time on a cruise to Canada and New England. We are planning to go in October 2015 and I think I have decided on a Princess cruise that visits the ports of Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Boston, and Newport...in that order, leaving out of New York.

I was wondering if it matters to have port side or starboard side. My initial thinking was to get the starboard since we start in Halifax and then work our way south. But I previously read that it really doesn't matter which side you get because you really don't see anything either way, because you are too far out at sea. So I guess I'm just trying to decide between the two, is there a side that would let me see more, even if the ship is docked. Or when we're getting close to land, would the starboard side be best? When the ship is actually docked, which side would be best if we were going to be on our balcony for a bit after returning to the ship from a day of excursions?

Also, I have a choice of October 3rd, 10th, or 17th. I noticed that the 3rd is the most expensive, the 10th $50 cheaper, and the 17th $50 cheaper than that. Which would be the best time to go? We are from Florida so we were really hoping to see some fall colors. I read on this site previously that some places close after Columbus Day. Is this true with any excursions? Would I be best to go on the 3rd? Would the crowds be any different with these dates?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion.

Port vs. Starboard makes no difference as you surmised. Ships can dock facing either way, no way to know in advance.

Since you're doing a range of ports, you're most likely to see some color on the earliest date. If fall is 'late', then you'll see colors further north. But if it's early, you'll only see colors up north. If you wait until 10/17, you might miss the colors everywhere

• 5 weeks later...

Starboard. You can in fact see the shoreline (after your first day at sea) as your cruise. You don't see much but it's there and you can see some of the lighthouse lights at night. Also starboard offers the best views of the Port Headlight during sail away.

Unless you are taking an excursion inland there are not a lot of colors to be seen. Lots of rocky shores and pine trees.