Barcelona Excursions

We are on the Epic 7-day Mediterranean round trip from Rome in August. There are only 4 excursions listed in Barcelona, yet we are docked from 5am-7pm. I know its also when folks will embark and disembark but surely there has to be more to do than the 4 excursions listed as we are there so long. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to see, excursions to do?

Some background info - its a group of 7 of us, 4 in our 20-30's, parents in their 50's and our 1 year old daughter (who will go along with whatever we do). We aren't necessarily museum people but would love to see castles, cathedrals, etc. We'd also love to try the local food. Never been to Barcelona, or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Thanks!

The thing is with Barcelona you do not need 'excursions'. There is plenty to see and do on your own. The main things to see are ...

- La Sagrada Familia

- Casa Batlló

- Casa Milà

- Park Güell

- Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia

- Gothic Quarter

- Las Ramblas

- La Boqueria Market

- Montjuic

Search this forum for details of any or all of these or visit this site for more information

All of these are doable by public transport or taxi (although with 7 in your group taxis would be a problem)

An alternative is to take a HoHo tourist bus for an overview of the city

We are on the Epic 7-day Mediterranean round trip from Rome in August. There are only 4 excursions listed in Barcelona, yet we are docked from 5am-7pm. I know its also when folks will embark and disembark but surely there has to be more to do than the 4 excursions listed as we are there so long. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to see, excursions to do?

Some background info - its a group of 7 of us, 4 in our 20-30's, parents in their 50's and our 1 year old daughter (who will go along with whatever we do). We aren't necessarily museum people but would love to see castles, cathedrals, etc. We'd also love to try the local food. Never been to Barcelona, or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Thanks!

There is a fantastic seafood / fish bar in La Bouqueria market just off Ramblas. just go into the market from ramblas entrance and walk past all the stalls until you come to the area selling fish The bar is immediately behind .

You will probably have a problem getting all your group seating so I would also suggest heading to port olympico , great restaurants there

Since there are seven of you, you may also want to considering doing a private tour especially since you'll have a baby with you. Private tour guides usually can provide something more customized so you'd have more flexibility and choices. I'd look look on review sites like Trip Advisor and this site to get an idea of things that you'd like to do and see, and you can probably find reviews for tour guides too.

We used Barcelona Day Tours and the tour was excellent. We saw pretty much all the main sites, except we didn't have time to go inside Sagrada Familia. Since the tour was about four hours, we had time after the tour to go back and go inside. Definitely go inside.

Thanks everyone! I have contacted Barcelona Day Tours and will likely set up a private tour with them :)

We used them last fall and they were terrific. While Barcelona is not difficult to do on your own (on our first trip there, we spent several days on our own), given the size of your group, having your own van with a guide is a very good way to go.

I want to underscore the advice above to make sure to visit the inside of La Sagrada Familia, which is simply magnificent.

Have a great trip!