Newark vs. LGA? Also, hotel recommendations?

Hi There!

My husband and I are looking to book a 7 day Carnival cruise leaving September 10th from the Port of Manhattan. We want to fly in the day before into Newark. Any recommendations on where to stay? We aren't really interested in sightseeing. It would be nice to be near some food choices for dinner though. We are not very eclectic eaters, so something like a pizza place or an American restaurant (like a Chili's or Outback or something) nearby would be fine. We would love to stay somewhere that does a shuttle to the cruise port. We would like to stay somewhere clean and price is a priority. Basically, the less expensive the better.

For the flight home, I am unsure about whether we should fly from Newark or LGA. We are planning on catching the soonest flight we can after the cruise docks on September 17th. It seems like flying to and from Newark is cheaper. I did a few Google maps searches, and it seems like it takes about the same amount of time to get from either airport to the port of Manhattan. Is there any reason to do LGA? How many hours do you think we should allot for when the ship docks to when our flight is? We are supposed to dock at 8AM. Is a 12:35 flight cutting it too close?

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

Hi There!

My husband and I are looking to book a 7 day Carnival cruise leaving September 10th from the Port of Manhattan. We want to fly in the day before into Newark. Any recommendations on where to stay? We aren't really interested in sightseeing. It would be nice to be near some food choices for dinner though. We are not very eclectic eaters, so something like a pizza place or an American restaurant (like a Chili's or Outback or something) nearby would be fine. We would love to stay somewhere that does a shuttle to the cruise port. We would like to stay somewhere clean and price is a priority. Basically, the less expensive the better.

For the flight home, I am unsure about whether we should fly from Newark or LGA. We are planning on catching the soonest flight we can after the cruise docks on September 17th. It seems like flying to and from Newark is cheaper. I did a few Google maps searches, and it seems like it takes about the same amount of time to get from either airport to the port of Manhattan. Is there any reason to do LGA? How many hours do you think we should allot for when the ship docks to when our flight is? We are supposed to dock at 8AM. Is a 12:35 flight cutting it too close?

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

The best overall deal I am seeing for your date at EWR is on last minute travel for Country Inns at $105 plus tax for a total of $126. This gives you free breakfast and access to IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, and the Jersey Gardens Mall with Johnny Rockets, Applebee's, and a food court. There are some slightly cheaper places without the free breakfast and no food options other than hotel itself, which means the overall cost will be much higher.

No shuttles from either EWR or LGA other than possible cruiseline transfers. Other options are train plus cab, airport express bus plus cab, or private car service in order of increasing expense. A 12:35 flight should be OK from either airport.

A couple of things to keep in mind for the choice of airports for your return flight:

LGA is closer than EWR to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, but more important than the difference in distance and travel time is the difference in taxi or ar service fare from the port to the airport. It will cost about $ 35-40 plus tip from the cruise terminal to LGA, but about twice that to EWR because of the increased distance and tolls. In making your decision you should consider not just the airfare, but the ground transportation costs to get a complete picture of your transportation expenses.

While in the past I would have said a 12:30 flight is OK, particularly from LGA, I'm now inclined to recommend you book a flight no earlier than 1 pm because of long TSA lines at the airports, and the rebuilding of LGA that is just getting under way, which i suspect will increase traffic congestion in the airport area as well as congestion in the terminals themselves. Also, if you're considering taking cruise lines transfers rather than a taxi or car service to the airport at least in the past the cruise lines would not provide transfers for flights departing earlier than 1 pm. I'd recommend you check with your cruise line for their current flight departure time requirements if you're at all considering using their transfers.

For your hotel, it sounds like you aren't interested in sightseeing and plan to stay near Newark. I don't have any suggestions over there since I don't stay in New Jersey hotels. Just be careful to make sure you are at a reputable hotel in a decent area. Newark is not an area you want to go walking around at night looking for a restaurant.

As for getting to the airport, LGA doesn't involve the tunnel crossing that Newark does, so if you take a taxi it will be cheaper. Fortunately traffic leaving the city is not bad in the morning, so you shouldn't have too much trouble if you choose to fly from Newark. Just be warned the tolls and trip to New Jersey is more expensive and can take a bit longer in a taxi.

Newark does have good train service. You can take a train from Penn Station to and From Newark Airport. It's a predictable way to go. Personally I prefer Newark using the train over LaGuardia and taxis since the train is relatively predictable. During commuting hours there is one every 20 minutes and although NJ transit can be delayed, it is relatively consistent that you will be at the airport terminal in 45 minutes from leaving the station. LaGuardia with the construction traffic can be 20 minutes or over an hour. Again the good news is that morning traffic leaving the city is not as bad. I'd book after 1pm.