What to do in NYC in January

Misty_Que

What do you all recommend for a group of 10 to do in NY in January? Most of us have been before so have done all the touristy stuff. There will just be my parents who have never been.

I definitely want them to experience Times Square. I would also like to find an enclosed bus/group tour to go on just to experience the highlights and sights all while keeping us warm. Can anyone recommend a tour like this? I only recall seeing the HOHO buses.

Any other recommendations of things we can do? Not really much of a museum group and my Mom is terrified of heights. We are all from Canada so the cold does not bother us. We will all be bundled up in our winter gear and are prepared. I do think my DH and I want to go back and visit 9/11 as it wasn't fully completed last time we were there.

We did the 9/11 museum last year and the top of the world trade center a few weeks ago, I recommend both but I would not pre-buy tickets for top , you want a clear day. Trinity church is a few blocks away, also wall St and Frances tavern

January is cold, so outdoor places like Times Square, Central Park etc will only be interesting for very short periods of time. The 9/11 museum, Met, Natural History Museum are all the most popular. Smaller museums like the Tenement museum, transit museum (Brooklyn) & frick collection can be interesting depending on what you like. If you like architecture then the library and grand central.

Broadway is always a fun experience and most shows have 50% off tickets at the TKTS booth day of in January. A free option can be TV shows. I just went to a taping of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. She's a Canadian comedian/political commentator. That was fun. There are a few shows you can see a taping of, which is much cheaper than trying to get everyone to agree on what to see and how much to spend on broadway.

The hop on and hop off tours are impossible to get away from. They are a good deal if you don't like using the subway since they take you everywhere you could want to go. I don't know of many private tours. The problem with a private bus/van is that you will spend a lot of time coordinating with a driver every time you want to get out. With such a good subway system, traveling by road everywhere can be unpleasant although with 10 people a private van might not be too bad.

Edited by Roseflyer