Sydney to Hobart in Dec (RC cruise )

tngtng

Hi

We are thinking to have a short 4 nights Royal Carbiaan cruise trip from Sydney to Hobart Tasmania in Dec. We never been Tasmania before.

1. How is the condition of the sea ? Is that rough and high wind in Dec?

2. To prevent motion sickness, is that right the bottom middle cabin ate better ?

3. Do we need to buy travel insurance for Cruise within Australia?

4. How is the ship of Radiance of the sea? Is that ship good and fun for a couple ? How is the stateroom condition of this ship ?

Thanks for your help !

Hi

We are thinking to have a short 4 nights Royal Carbiaan cruise trip from Sydney to Hobart Tasmania in Dec. We never been Tasmania before.

2. To prevent motion sickness, is that right the bottom middle cabin ate better ?

4. How is the ship of Radiance of the sea? Is that ship good and fun for a couple ? How is the stateroom condition of this ship ?

Thanks for your help !

i can answer a couple of questions

with going across to Hobart no one can predict what the sea is going to be like, we have had a smooth sailing and another time a bit rough

you def need to buy travel insurance whilst on the ship as you are not covered by medicare and make sure you get one for Australian Waters.....i've never used this company but they seem ok

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/travel-insurance.html

Edited by rkmw

Hi

It CAN be rough crossing Bass Straight.

Mid ship YES, lower most say yes, but I am not 100% convinced, it seems to depend on what is the cause of your sea sickness, being low CAN make the seas look bigger (perspective) and that can make things worse. I know DW who does get a bit crook at times prefers higher around 8 or 9.

YES!!! Medicare doesn't cover any treatment on board or air lift if needed.

Thanks for your help !

We are booked on this cruise. We also take our eldest grandson on a short cruise in December as an end of school year treat.

Last year, same time, we were all on Diamond Princess and the worst weather/ seas were actually in Port Phillip Bay. Storm blew up and we had to anchor in the rough seas in the bay as we couldn't dock. But it passed reasonably quickly.

We have been in Bass Strait cruising to Melbourne or Hobart from WA or NSW between Nov - Feb, 6 times. Luckily the seas have been very tolerable.

Sometimes a little choppy sometimes calm.

Middle of a lower deck is supposedly good for movement. A relative was on Deck 4, just behind the bar area on the Radiance and felt little movement. It is a handy deck to Centrum, main Dining room, guest relations etc.

You still should get travel insurance. Some insurance companies do quotes for a Domestic Cruise but other can classify this as South East Asia and Pacific - just be careful to get the right policy.

We were last on Radiance, nov '14. The interior was fine, it is due for refurbishing in the next year or so. It is one of our favourite ships because it is very airy and spacious. And has a great crew.

The shorter cruises usually have a lot packed into them, entertainment wise and a mixed age group.

Hobart is great to visit and I'm sure you would enjoy should you decide to go.

We are booked on this cruise. We also take our eldest grandson on a short cruise in December as an end of school year treat.

Last year, same time, we were all on Diamond Princess and the worst weather/ seas were actually in Port Phillip Bay. Storm blew up and we had to anchor in the rough seas in the bay as we couldn't dock. But it passed reasonably quickly.

We have been in Bass Strait cruising to Melbourne or Hobart from WA or NSW between Nov - Feb, 6 times. Luckily the seas have been very tolerable.

Sometimes a little choppy sometimes calm.

Middle of a lower deck is supposedly good for movement. A relative was on Deck 4, just behind the bar area on the Radiance and felt little movement. It is a handy deck to Centrum, main Dining room, guest relations etc.

You still should get travel insurance. Some insurance companies do quotes for a Domestic Cruise but other can classify this as South East Asia and Pacific - just be careful to get the right policy.

We were last on Radiance, nov '14. The interior was fine, it is due for refurbishing in the next year or so. It is one of our favourite ships because it is very airy and spacious. And has a great crew.

The shorter cruises usually have a lot packed into them, entertainment wise and a mixed age group.

Hobart is great to visit and I'm sure you would enjoy should you decide to go.

I suspect the day you are referring to was about 16 Dec, when they made us go to Burnie as Diamond had the dock. That was a pretty hairy crossing, not the worst I've ever had but bad enough.

Funny enough the other 3 crossings that trip were pretty calm.

I suspect the day you are referring to was about 16 Dec, when they made us go to Burnie as Diamond had the dock. That was a pretty hairy crossing, not the worst I've ever had but bad enough.

Funny enough the other 3 crossings that trip were pretty calm.

It certainly was the 16th Dec (had to look up ipad photos). The Captain said he had never had to anchor in such seas ever. I think the Dawn Princess was docked and couldn't leave so we anchored and waited. We overnighted in Melbourne that night and a lovely sunny day followed and pleasant seas back to Sydney.

image.jpg.212c9b0bfd20accf9140a96056b61962.jpg

We were docked in Sydney during the Martin Place siege, there were worries about the possibility of PAX not being able to get to OPT due to the lock down, Police presence everywhere.

Then planned to be n Melb 16th but got detoured to Burnie instead (should have been 17th at Burnie) it cost an arm and leg to make a phone call as out DD was to meet us in Melb traveling a few hours by train, so we had to get a message to her to leave it to the next day.

We crossed Bas 4 times that cruise, that night, the 16th, was the worst crossing we've ever had and easily as bad as when he ran Cyclone Monica off Qld coast

But back in '99 we had what was described as the smoothest crossing ever, it was like glass.