Our St Thomas rental car experience 5/13/15

savannah2117

We were on the Getaway and decided to get a rental car to go to the beaches, our first choice being Coki beach. I had a difficult time finding a rental car place near the cruise ship port, Avis was the only one that answered the phone and was within walking distance. (i would absolutely recommend them.)

My thought was with 5 people, the taxi fees would add up fast. We ended up spending about $90 for a SUV (Ford Escape). My hubby brought our GPS from home.
Okay, two important things to think about with getting a rental car on the island.
1. They drive on the LEFT side of the road, this may freak some people out.
2. Their roads are NOT like roads in the states. Think like comparing a luxury car to a complete piece of junk. These roads, (and drivers!!) are narrow, windy, no center line. Did I say narrow?????

Our GPS apparently wanted to take the shortest route and we ended up getting lost somewhere in the middle of the island, it was crazy. When mom, the non-tech person in the family, suggested we look at a PAPER MAP, we figured out where we were and were fine. For us, this was part of the adventure and memory of St. Thomas. I would assess how patient and flexible your driver is. If the driver gets easily frustrated or anxious and annoyed about things, I would skip driving in St Thomas. It might cause a big fight on vacation. My husband did fine and thought it was rather humorous; however, I can see where some people would not enjoy this and would be better off getting a taxi. We also never ended up going to another beach. We like Coki Beach and it just didn't seem to make sense to pack up and pay money for another beach, for new chairs, ect.

St. Thomas was beautiful... go explore it in a way your family would enjoy. :) Edited by savannah2117

Thanks for your amusing post.:D
Yes driving on the left side takes a little getting used to, "shoulder to the shoulder" is a good way to help remember, although at intersections and in parking lots you have to be careful as a first-timer. I had a hard time getting used to driving on the left with the driver seat in the right seat in GCM, just didn't feel right at first but after awhile it becomes more comfortable.

The roads on STT are winding in many areas but are very nice and easy to drive. A GPS can be more a hindrance than a help as you mentioned, a map from the rental agency and asking for directions is a tried and true navigation system.
But a great way to experience the island with the utmost flexibility and if going to multiple destinations cheaper than a taxi. In your case a taxi to Coki would have been about out the same price, but you saw more of the island in the rental and had fun doing that so a great choice!

You definitely saved money that way. For our family of five, we paid $100 rt in the taxi to go to Coki, not including a tip. I almost had a heart attack when they said $10 pp one way. Good grief. However, I might have to take a Xanax or something to rent a car. My husband would drive and not get flustered, but I don't think I'd do well.:eek: Edited by momof3cruisers

[quote name='momof3cruisers']You definitely saved money that way. For our family of five, we paid $100 rt in the taxi to go to Coki, not including a tip. I almost had a heart attack when they said $10 pp one way. Good grief. However, I might have to take a Xanax or something to rent a car. My husband would drive and not get flustered, but I don't think I'd do well.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Actually the rental car option saved just $10 + tip in this case so not a big savings, but a nice way to get around the island! We don't feel that $20pp round trip is an extravagant fee for a taxi each way to the East End, but it certainly can be expensive for a family of 5 so a rental can be more economical if you all fit. More an adventure with a rental for sure! :)