Arthur's Car Rental

Codfish

Has any one used Arthur's Car Rental in Phillipsburg? Any good? What kind of car did you get? How much did you pay.

Thanks

Just Posting To See My Clock Tick Away!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'Til My First Cruise With The TRIUMPH'S CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW

We've been visiting the island since 1981, and have never heard of the firm.

Not necessairly a problem, but ---

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

We have been going to SXM for 10 years and have never heard of Arthurs.

If you are on a cruise for the day, Best Deal, right at the pier is good.

If you need it for more than a day, Tropicana Car Rental in Simpson Bay is the best.

They all have jeep type vehicles-mostly rav 4s.

Well, even though I was completely unaware of his existance, and can't make any comments on his service, here's the website for Arthur's Car Rental.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thank you for the link. This is how I heard of them to begin with as well. I have made a reservation for a jeep for $40. this is the cheapest I've found. That in itself has me a little worried about their quality and why I posted in the first place. The good thing is they didn't need my credit card to reserve, so if the vehicle is a P.O.S. I can still walk away.

What will You be doing in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'll be on my First Cruise With The TRIUMPH'S CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW

Please follow up with any comments regarding their service, etc. to keep all of us better informed.

_____

I'm also looking for a car for 5 of us late August for the day we're in port. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what agency was good and not too expensive?

I've looked at the Arthur's site and the prices are better than the rest. Please post if you have used these guys and let us know if they are any good.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from St. Maarten aboard the Triumph. Arthur's car rental worked out well for us. He didn't have a jeep available, so we rented a Toyota Corola. It wasn't brand new, but it was in good condition and got us around the island. as instructed, we called him on his cell phone at 8am, as soon as the little shops opened up at the cruise ship pier. (50 cents for a local call to a cell phone the pay phones take quarters) Within 10 minutes, he picked us up outside the pier entrance. We rode with him to his office on front street and filled out the paperwork, he gave us a map and directions to Orient Beach, and we were off. We were charged $35 for the day. We didn't have to worry about filling it up with gas or anything. When we were done, we called him again and he came to pick it up.

If you are looking for a fancy car to drive while in St. Maarten, I'd look elsewhere, but if you want reliable transportation at a reasonable price, I'd recomend Arthur's. For the more adventureous, he also rents scooters.

• 2 weeks later...

Our bill was $35 for the car for the day, plus 8%tax for a total of $37.80. There was optional insurance available for $11. We didn't take that because we we had insurance through our credit card.

No longer a Newbie

since my first cruise with The TRIUMPH'S CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW

Codfish - It sounds like the "optional insurance" fees were something like:

$5 - Comprehensive

$6 - Liability

It's VERY important to check with your credit card company to determine IF coverage is provided. Almost all premium credit cards include Comprehensive, but almost NONE provide Liability coverage.

The vast majority of auto renters use their credit card for Comprehensive coverage and ACCEPT the rental agency's Liability coverage.

Having no Liability coverage in St. Maarten is extremely unwise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

I suggest that you rent elsewhere. We just rented from this operation and it seemed shady. We were driven to a different location, where he told us there were cars we could "choose from, but instead we were given a junker, clunker jeep which was uncomfortable and a piece of crap, really. Instead of the car lot where we were supposed to "choose" this car was parked there on the street, like it was his personal vehicle, or his wife's car, whatever. There was no rental car lot and then he asked me if I had valuables in my bags, which was creepy. Supposedly it was so we would not try to leave anything in the definitely not secure piece of junk we were driving, but who knows? The guy even wanted us to repark it on the street when we were done, but when I asked how would we get back to the port, he said we could leave it at his office because he didn't plan to be there. Although he drove a fancy car, this so called rental was one step from a junkyard. I would NEVER rent here again and if I was you, I wouldn't consider it either.

I suggest that you rent elsewhere. We just rented from this operation and it seemed shady. We were driven to a different location, where he told us there were cars we could "choose from, but instead we were given a junker, clunker jeep which was uncomfortable and a piece of crap, really. Instead of the car lot where we were supposed to "choose" this car was parked there on the street, like it was his personal vehicle, or his wife's car, whatever. There was no rental car lot and then he asked me if I had valuables in my bags, which was creepy. Supposedly it was so we would not try to leave anything in the definitely not secure piece of junk we were driving, but who knows? The guy even wanted us to repark it on the street when we were done, but when I asked how would we get back to the port, he said we could leave it at his office because he didn't plan to be there. Although he drove a fancy car, this so called rental was one step from a junkyard. I would NEVER rent here again and if I was you, I wouldn't consider it either.

We were stood up by Arthur's a couple of years ago. An elaborate lie followed. Read later on cc the exact same story so I can not recommend Arthur's either.

• 9 months later...
We were stood up by Arthur's a couple of years ago. An elaborate lie followed. Read later on cc the exact same story so I can not recommend Arthur's either.

Three years ago I rented (or attempted to rent) from Arthur's after reading good things here. I had a reservation with Hertz, who I had used in the past, but they were charging holiday rates even though it was still mid-December. Arthur's took my reservation and when I asked if their cars were automatics, I was told that all of their cars had automatic transmission. When we got there, they did not have my reservation on the list (he ended up finding it scribbled on a piece of paper). Then he found a car, but he asked if I could drive a stick shift. I pointed out that he told me that all of his cars were automatics. He then tried to take me to another place across the street but I didn't like the vibe I was getting so I went to Hertz and paid the high price. Fortunately I had not cancelled my reservation there.

Alberto gave me his card and said he would give me a free rental the next time I was there (at least I think that is what he offered, I have the card here). We will be back in SXM in March but I'm thinking maybe I don't want to take a chance on him again.

Three years ago I rented (or attempted to rent) from Arthur's after reading good things here. I had a reservation with Hertz, who I had used in the past, but they were charging holiday rates even though it was still mid-December. Arthur's took my reservation and when I asked if their cars were automatics, I was told that all of their cars had automatic transmission. When we got there, they did not have my reservation on the list (he ended up finding it scribbled on a piece of paper). Then he found a car, but he asked if I could drive a stick shift. I pointed out that he told me that all of his cars were automatics. He then tried to take me to another place across the street but I didn't like the vibe I was getting so I went to Hertz and paid the high price. Fortunately I had not cancelled my reservation there.

Alberto gave me his card and said he would give me a free rental the next time I was there (at least I think that is what he offered, I have the card here). We will be back in SXM in March but I'm thinking maybe I don't want to take a chance on him again.

So let me get this straight. Three years ago you reserved a car from this man and he scrambled to find it and found it scribbled down somewhere and you were going to pay for the rental but he didn't have any automatic cars like promised so you walked. Now 3 plus years later you think that he is going to give you a free rental because you think that's what he meant when he gave you his business card. Did I get this right? The stories you read here about this guy are really something.:D

So let me get this straight. Three years ago you reserved a car from this man and he scrambled to find it and found it scribbled down somewhere and you were going to pay for the rental but he didn't have any automatic cars like promised so you walked. Now 3 plus years later you think that he is going to give you a free rental because you think that's what he meant when he gave you his business card. Did I get this right? The stories you read here about this guy are really something.:D

Actually, I found the email from him after I followed up with email after my cruise: "HOPE THAT WE CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU ON YOUR NEXT VISIT ON THE SHIP.= FREE CAR FOR YOU NEXT TIME.OK"

In any event, given that I had read very good things about him when I tried to rent from him 3 years ago, I had hoped that mine was an isolated incident. If I do decide to take him up on it next time, maybe I'll make a backup reservation with Hertz just in case.

Actually, I found the email from him after I followed up with email after my cruise: "HOPE THAT WE CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU ON YOUR NEXT VISIT ON THE SHIP.= FREE CAR FOR YOU NEXT TIME.OK"

In any event, given that I had read very good things about him when I tried to rent from him 3 years ago, I had hoped that mine was an isolated incident. If I do decide to take him up on it next time, maybe I'll make a backup reservation with Hertz just in case.

Give it a try but reserving and standing up Hertz doesnt seem like a very nice thing o do to me. Just a pet peeve I have I guess. I have read and heard from private tour guides of folks doing this as well and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Good Luck with Arthur's and let us know if he came through.:)

Give it a try but reserving and standing up Hertz doesnt seem like a very nice thing o do to me. Just a pet peeve I have I guess. I have read and heard from private tour guides of folks doing this as well and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Good Luck with Arthur's and let us know if he came through.:)

I would go back to Hertz and tell them that I didn't need the car (as was my plan last time -- unfortunately I ended up going back to rent the car!). They have enough walk-ups that they would be able to rent my unused car, I'm sure.

Not showing up for a private tour guide is very wrong since they've committed their time to you. At what point do they assume you're not showing up and try to get another customer?

Interestingly, the note from Arthur pointed out that many people don't show up for their reservations and he tried to justify his not having a car for me by saying that others do it to him. He then ended by saying it's not a big deal and just let it go. Maybe it's an island thing. I should say that I emailed him a link to the Seinfeld clip where Jerry shows up for his car rental and they don't have it.

I would go back to Hertz and tell them that I didn't need the car (as was my plan last time -- unfortunately I ended up going back to rent the car!). They have enough walk-ups that they would be able to rent my unused car, I'm sure.

Not showing up for a private tour guide is very wrong since they've committed their time to you. At what point do they assume you're not showing up and try to get another customer?

Interestingly, the note from Arthur pointed out that many people don't show up for their reservations and he tried to justify his not having a car for me by saying that others do it to him. He then ended by saying it's not a big deal and just let it go. Maybe it's an island thing. I should say that I emailed him a link to the Seinfeld clip where Jerry shows up for his car rental and they don't have it.

That sounds like a good plan. Hertz will have walk ups if you cancel early enough. You read stories here on cc where their tour started 45 plus minutes late because the tour guide waited 30 minutes for the no-shows then spent 15 minutes finding someone to take their place.

Arthur's owner came over to Hertz ( they must have called him) he told us about a death in the family ( this is the story that I later read he gave someone else on another occasion). Anyways he also told me that he emailed me. No email was on m computer when I got home and on top of that he said that we were his only customers and he has many no-shows. Wow! Why would he say that after the "I had a death in the family" line.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Perhaps he will follow this thread and decide that he needs some good PR:)

Archived