NCL SKY to Cuba Review

CRUIS4ME

Just back from our Cuba adventure. Thought I would compile a few notes here if it helps someone's planning. In short, had a very good private tour on Day One in Cuba and excellent DIY tour walk around on Day Two. Managed to get to the private island and that was a good time too.Visa, embarkation, money exchange: we elected to pay NCL the $75 per person to take care of the paperwork and visa. This worked well. We printed the forms, filled them out, scanned them and then emailed them back to NCL. I telephoned NCL later to ensure documents were received and they were. Upon checking in at the port in Miami, our passports were checked and visas given to each of us along with the normal cabin card. We got to the port about 10:30, instant checkin at the desk, and were called on board about 11:30. The Latitude program levels were not recognized (no perks) on a four day cruise....but they did call Latitude levels to get on board which helped as we were in Group 7.

As for money exchange, we ordered Euros at our bank and took that to Cuba instead of dollars as we knew we were going to need CUCs for the private tour, lunch, taxi, and a few souvenirs. It just seemed like the easy thing for us to do rather than take the 10 percent hit to use dollars to exchange.

Cuba entry. Easy peasy. We did not have an NCL tour and therefore had to get disembarkation tickets the morning we were to get into Havana. DH got in line about 6:30 am for the 7am ticket give out. We got Group 2 or three. At 8:00 we were ready to stand around to be called. They called folks starting about 8:30 even though the itinerary says 10:00. They called Groups 1, 2, and 3 all at the same time. We were off the ship, through passport control, and exchanged money by 9:15! Very orderly process, about 12 passport window lines, was easily directed to a line, produced the passport and visa...they took the visa and stamped the passport and we were in the terminal. At the end of the terminal was the money exchange window...again...easy and polite. We went down the staircase...about thirty or so steps, to get to the street level, I did not see an elevator. On the street level, there were plenty of taxis, guys wanting us to take tours, horse and buggy rides...etc. we met our tour guide as planned at ten o'clock right across the street in the square. Getting on and off the ship was just a matter of producing the passport that was stamped.

Weather. Oh my...there are no water wicking clothes that can repel the sweat! It was hot and humid. Sweaty day...took two bottles of water each and drank every bit. We did not have rain....sun was shining the two days. Beware...if you want to ride for two hours or longer in a convertible....it will be sweltering! We had a 59 chevy all day and was glad not to have the direct sun on us while we were riding. I saw more than one person that were red as lobsters after sitting in the convertible for two hours.

Tours. We opted to arrange for our party of three, a one day tour with Fertours. Found them online, emailed, arranged the tour and link up time. Closer to the date, confirmed again. Fernando answered immediately every time I emailed. Was very very pleased. No deposit required. We meet our guide, David, as planned. He is a teacher and doing the guide gig as it paid better than the government pay. His English was perfect and rather than just tour and spout facts, he talked and conversed with us about all aspects of life in Cuba throughout the day. We toured from 10:00 until 4:00. Took a break back at the ship to shower, rest and have dinner and then met him and our driver again for our evening program of going to view a ceremony at the fort and a night club. We were back on ship by 11:00 pm. We paid 100CUC each.

Day 2 took a motorcycle converted coconut looking taxi..what a hoot...to the Revolutionary Museum, walked the streets of Old Havana, went to a brewery, and did our photo touring on our own. We purchased rum, cigars, and ground coffee at a government store David took us to on day one and some inexpensive souvenirs at the market also on day one.

Great Stirrup Cay. I posted a review on the ports page under Caribbean and private island tab. We had a successful day, took the stingray tour, and nabbed three loungers in the shade rather than keep the clamshell we paid for. We did not get to GSC until 11:00 so that made for a short day on the island....which was enough sun and water for us.

Ship. The Sky is a small ship. It is well cared for, clean, and crew for the most part responsive. The cabin was small...we had a large window on deck 8. The food was okay. We are not foodies and usually give kudos to the main dining fare. Out of three meals, we had one good meal, one okay meal, and one night just horrible. We had three different entrees and all three were wierd incarnations of what we thought it would be. Le Bistro was excellent. I was taken back by the alcohol freely flowing as alcohol and beverages were included in the fare. I was astonished at the presence of alcohol everywhere all the time. Those who indulged....indulged! The pool deck was something out of a spring break movie...loads of people, sunning, drinking, and just not appealing.

This was the first cruise I ever took where I did not have one memorable crew encounter to be able to fill out one of those cards at the end of the cruise. So, in the end, I summarize our Sky experience as it was good transportation and hotel to get us to Cuba which is why we took the cruise....a success. The crew worked very hard, the waiters in the dining rooms were overwhelmed with food and drink service...the crew did a good job. I don't think I will take this size ship again unless it has a fabulous itinerary.....I like the bigger ship experiences.

Well I hope this helps in someone's planning.

Yes, Fertours arranged a good private place for lunch. The place had "88" in its name. A nice place and food was delicious. When I booked, I wasn't sure about dinner and a show.....but decided to get freshened and dinner on the ship before going out In the evening. Was glad we made that decision. So we ended up at a club with drinks included which was fine.

thank you for our information.

FYI to others: we just called NCL and had them add visa ($75) to our reservation and the Travel Affidavit is available online at NCL to fill out and submit, no need to print and scan. All went through. Just thought this may be an easier way for others to do this.

thank you for our information.

FYI to others: we just called NCL and had them add visa ($75) to our reservation and the Travel Affidavit is available online at NCL to fill out and submit, no need to print and scan. All went through. Just thought this may be an easier way for others to do this.

Ahh...good for NCL to make it just a little easier to get the paperwork done! thanks for the update.

Cigars were priced all sorts of prices depending on brand and box size. We bought individual assortment of about ten dollars a piece. Only bought a quart of rum so price was inconsequential.

There IS an elevator at cruise port in Cuba from Immigration / Money Exchange area to street level. Around on the side. Also restrooms to Left of Money exchange - good to use there before start touring.