Two questions regarding Ecstasy and Parking in Charleston

mel7350

Does anyone know what shows are currently on the Ecstasy right now?

Also, has anyone parked in Charleston? I have heard awful things about it so just trying to get tips to getting in faster to park and get on the ship.

Does anyone know what shows are currently on the Ecstasy right now?

Also, has anyone parked in Charleston? I have heard awful things about it so just trying to get tips to getting in faster to park and get on the ship.

No idea about the shows...

As far as parking, when we go out of Charleston we usually get there the day before and get a hotel. Then we leave the car at the hotel for the week while we're gone. We always stay in Mt. Pleasant, last year at the Mainstay Suite which is just at the end of the bridge from downtown Charleston. It was around $150 a night for a 2bd/2ba/kitchen suite and they let us keep our car there for the week for free. It cost $15 to take an Uber to port. Skipped the long parking line and the $117 parking fee for the terminal. Very good area, safe to the leave vehicle. Highly recommended.

Another option is to park at the airport and take an Uber to port as well. Not sure of the cost there though.

No idea about the shows...

As far as parking, when we go out of Charleston we usually get there the day before and get a hotel. Then we leave the car at the hotel for the week while we're gone. We always stay in Mt. Pleasant, last year at the Mainstay Suite which is just at the end of the bridge from downtown Charleston. It was around $150 a night for a 2bd/2ba/kitchen suite and they let us keep our car there for the week for free. It cost $15 to take an Uber to port. Skipped the long parking line and the $117 parking fee for the terminal. Very good area, safe to the leave vehicle. Highly recommended.

Another option is to park at the airport and take an Uber to port as well. Not sure of the cost there though.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply :)

But we have 4 families going and we're staying at someone's house (3 hours away) the night before. I know everyone won't want to pay for a hotel so I was hoping someone who had parked there would reply. Plus we already paid for the parking online :(

Thank you. I appreciate your reply :)

But we have 4 families going and we're staying at someone's house (3 hours away) the night before. I know everyone won't want to pay for a hotel so I was hoping someone who had parked there would reply. Plus we already paid for the parking online :(

No, I understand. No point in getting a hotel if you're 3 hours away.

Not sure if you can get a refund on your parking but I just looked up both. It looks like the cruise terminal charges $17 a day, compared to the airport, charges $10 a day.

For a 7 day cruise that's $119 vs $70. So, a $50 savings per vehicle to park at the airport and it looks like an Uber would be $18. So $30 savings all together to park at the airport plus you wouldn't have to worry about the traffic and waiting in the long lines to park.

Anyway just wanted to throw those options out there for you. I am sure someone will respond who has actually parked there though. Good luck and enjoy the Ecstasy, we enjoyed her last year. Love the old small ships. They're fun!

Where is the online parking?? I didn't realize it would be that expensive to park!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I got an email from my carnival rep showing me where to go....let me see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Port of Charleston

Union Pier Terminal

32 Washington Street

Charleston, South Carolina 29401

The Cruise Ship Passenger Terminal is located in downtown Charleston in the heart of the historic district. It is easily reached via several major routes into the City. The major routes into Charleston are via Interstate 26, Highway 17-South, Highway 17-North and I-526.

There are permanent highway signs posted along the travel route that will help direct you to Union Pier and the cruise ship facilities. Some signs are the standard green highway signs posted along major routes and exit ramps. Others are smaller sized brown signs with the international cruise ship symbol and arrows showing the direction to travel in the downtown area. Please note there are yellow A-frame signs also referred to in the directions. Those yellow A-frame signs are temporary units displayed at approximately 11:30am on embarkation days.

Union Pier Entry Gate #2 is at the intersection of Concord and Laurens and is designated as the entry point for all general cruise traffic.

Union Pier Main Gate is at 32 Washington Street and is designated as the entry point for taxis, hotel limos/vans, oversized campers, and charter bus groups only.

Directions to the Cruise Ship Passenger Terminal

Coming into Charleston via I-26 East

Once you are in the Charleston area

· Take Exit 219 – B (Morrison Drive and East Bay Street)

· Turn left at the foot of the exit ramp

· Cross over King Street, then cross over Meeting Street

· Once you cross over Meeting Street, you are on Morrison Drive

· Stay on Morrison Drive

· The street name will change from Morrison Drive to East Bay Street after you go under an overpass

· Follow the large green highway signs and the smaller brown highway signs to Union Pier Terminal

· Stay on East Bay Street, until you pass a U.S. Post Office on the right

· From East Bay Street, turn left on to Chapel Street at the traffic light

· Continue to follow the green highway signs and the brown highway signs to the Cruise Ship Terminal / Union Pier Terminal

· Chapel Street will change name to Washington Street along the route

· Turn left and Chapel/Washington Street onto Charlotte Street

· At the intersection of Chapel/Washington and Charlotte Streets, there will be yellow A-frame signs in the roadway with directions for ‘Cruise Traffic’

· Follow the yellow signs. These will be in addition to the permanent street signs already noted

· The yellow A-frame signs will direct you to Union Pier Entry Gate #2

· Union Pier Entry Gate #2 is at the intersection of Concord and Laurens

· The Passenger Terminal is part of Union Pier

· All general cruise traffic enters the area via Union Pier Entry Gate #2

Coming into Charleston from 17-South (North Carolina side of South Carolina)

Enter the Charleston area via the City of Mt. Pleasant

· Follow 17-South signs to Ravenel Bridge (across Cooper River)

· Go across the bridge

· Take Morrison Drive / East Bay Street exit from bridge (first exit)

· Turn left on to East Bay Street from the exit ramp at the foot of the bridge

· Follow the large green highway signs and the smaller brown highway signs to Union Pier Terminal

· Continue to follow the green highway signs and the brown highway signs to the Cruise Ship Terminal / Union Pier Terminal

· At the intersection of Chapel/Washington and Charlotte Streets, there will be yellow A-frame signs in the roadway with directions for ‘Cruise Traffic’

· Follow the yellow signs. These will be in addition to the permanent street signs already noted

Coming into Charleston from 17-North (Georgia side of South Carolina)

· Enter the Charleston area via Highway 17-North

· Follow signs to East I-526

· Once on E-I-526, take #17 to I-26 East – towards Charleston

· From I-26, take exit 219–B (Morrison Drive and East Bay Street ramp)

· Turn left at the foot of the exit ramp

· Cross over King Street and Meeting Street

· After the crossovers, you will be on Morrison Drive / East Bay Street route

· Stay on Morrison Drive / East Bay Street

Parking Information

Rates are subject to change

· $17.00 USD per day - for standard vehicles up to 20 feet in length

· $50.00 USD per day – for oversized vehicles over 20 feet in length (RV’s, Campers and busses)

The Port of Charleston features both covered and non-covered parking in a safe and secure location. A complimentary shuttle bus is provided between the vehicle parking area and the cruise terminal on both departure and return dates of the cruise. Shuttles accessible for special needs and wheelchair assistance are also available. Please note, guests have the option to walk as well.

· Vehicle parking is available on port property, in a controlled access area available to cruise passengers – not the general public

· The site is secured and patrolled by the Port Police during the cruise

· Pre-pay parking is a simple and convenient way to take care of your parking arrangements in advance. To pre-pay your parking now, simply follow this link http://www.scspa.com/cruise-parking/ or click here.

· If you prefer to pay for your parking on the day of your cruise, full payment is due upon entering the parking area. The following forms of payment are accepted: Credit Card, Debit Card, Traveler's Check, Personal Check or Money Order (made payable to S.C. State Ports Authority). Checks written on non-U.S banks and financial institutions are not accepted

· A color-coded claim ticket and permit is given to the driver upon entering the parking area. The larger permit should be displayed in the front window of the vehicle. The smaller claim ticket should be kept by the driver. It will help identify the parking area on the return date

· Advance reservations are not required

· Parking for handicap accessible vehicles with valid permits, license plates and placards

For more information, visit www.port-of-charleston.com and click on 'Cruises'.

Thanks so much for looking all of that up. I'll definitely consider it :)

You're welcome, I figure if I can help save a family $30 (x 4 vehicles = $120) it's a win!

Enjoy Charleston, it's a beautiful city. Love it.

Can't answer the question about shows either. We are scheduled to sail on the Ecstasy on 11/05 for 10 days ... would be curious to know though.

As for parking - we are born/raised in Charleston. The port is small compared to most. The parking area is off to the side of the port. We don't usually have a parking issue b/c we get family to drop our car off & take it back to their house/pick us up.

The easiest route is to drop your luggage, park your car and then take the shuttle from the parking garage back to the port (carry-ons are all that are allowed on the shuttle). Unfortunately, downtown Charleston is also small and crowded. The port parking is quite expensive, but you would pay almost as much for a much less convenient parking in another garage in downtown by the time you paid to park & got a cab back to/from the port. Outside of a hotel that offers a park/cruise there really just aren't a lot of options for parking like some of the larger terminals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump! We'll be on the Ecstasy is October with our one year old twins and am really wondering the best way to handle parking and getting to the terminal.

Can the guys drop the ladies and babies off at the terminal with the bags, then go park and walk back to the terminal?

Bump! We'll be on the Ecstasy is October with our one year old twins and am really wondering the best way to handle parking and getting to the terminal.

Can the guys drop the ladies and babies off at the terminal with the bags, then go park and walk back to the terminal?

Unless something has changed you can't do that. They can drop you off with your bags but you have to take a shuttle to the terminal from that location. I don't think cars were allowed to drive up to the entrance of the terminal. They can then park the cars and take the parking shuttle back. I don't think you can walk.

We just cruised on the Sunshine out of Charleston this past weekend (5/25/17-5/29/17). I will say parking was horrible. There was an extremely long wait to get in to the port and then it fanned out to three long lines to get through lines to check documents and pay (or check prepaid). Once you park, they make it look like you have to take the shuttle which is another line. The shuttle will take you literally a block and a half so you might as well walk it. We self carried our bags off the boat and walk back to our car with no issues. I was warned by a friend of mine ahead of time to not let the Port of Charleston ruin the trip because it is a horrible way to start. If you want on the boat early, plan to get there very early. Our boat was delayed leaving by over an hour because they couldn't get people through quick enough. FTTF is well worth it as you get to skip the huge cluster to get checked in at this small port.

• 3 weeks later...

Passengers with handicap placards or tags park free if the handicapped person is a passenger. That may be worth the line and problems with the parking at Charleston. I always park at the port because of that very reason and it makes putting up with the parking lines and process a little easier to swallow. Having said that, were it not for the free parking, parking at the port would be my last option.