relaxing activity to do with my wife?

weebobby

Hi

We will be visiting on the June 27th sailing of Getaway.

We are from Northern Ireland and on our first cruise.

We are usually very active types but my wife will be 20 weeks pregnant so I am wondering what will be a nice relaxing idea to do the day we land there ?

I am thinking something like a quiet beach with a bar somewhere for lunch that sums up nicely what the island is all about and we can just relax there before returning to the boat

Cheers

Weebobby

Agree with the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort in Lindbergh Bay for a nice spot to relax. Nice setting with good food and drinks at a beach bar or open-air restaurant and nicer restrooms.

The RCCL Oasis of the Seas is docked at Crown Bay which is quite close to Lindgergh Bay so it may be somewhat crowded there that day but shouldn't be too bad. You are docking at Havensight (WICO) along with Carnival Glory which is a longer taxi ride to Lindbergh but just 20 min or so with the traffic in town.

Actually the Marriott at Morningstar is very close to your port and also offers amenities, that may be a better choice but both are good options. The nicest beaches are on the East End and we'd head to Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbor, but Morningstar is a 10 min taxi versus 20 - 25 for the other beaches mentioned.

If you visit Brewers when you are on Tortola you'll find that to me a quieter bay and a nice relaxing day.

Congratulations on your new family member! :)

Edited by blue_water

I'm sorry but there are much nicer places to relax than the Best Western. OP I would recommend going to the Marriott at Morning Side, or Secret Harbor, or Sapphire Beach. They are a little further, but they are not right next to the airport.

No need to be sorry, but the BW in Lindbergh Bay is a favorite to many on this forum. I've never been big fan because we much prefer Sapphire and Lindqvist. But for a property where the OP and his wife can relax in comfort and enjoy a nice beach with amenities, Lindbergh works. You can also rent a room for the day if you'd like to have access to a changing room, shower, and their nice little pool behind the restaurant.

Morningstar is closer to Havensight, and that's why I recommend that. But can't agree with you on the BW.

Former St Thomas resident & Irish harper here:D

Emerald beach is a little too close to the airport & may be crowded because of Oasis being docked at Crown point. Morningstar is a short walk from the ship. Sapphire is my favorite beach on St Thomas.

For another very quiet choice, take a quick boat ride to Water Island & stroll to Honeymoon beach. ZQVOL & Blue, what do you think of that idea?

Best Western Carib Beach is next to the airport and has no beach. Best Western Emerald Beach is about a mile from the airport, but few, if any, planes fly directly overhead upsetiing the tranquility of the beach.

Water Island has gotten very commercial last 4 years so more crowded and gets quite a few boat excursions. Not as relaxing as it was 5 years ago.

Former St Thomas resident & Irish harper here:D

Emerald beach is a little too close to the airport & may be crowded because of Oasis being docked at Crown point. Morningstar is a short walk from the ship. Sapphire is my favorite beach on St Thomas.

For another very quiet choice, take a quick boat ride to Water Island & stroll to Honeymoon beach. ZQVOL & Blue, what do you think of that idea?

Lindbergh could be a bit crowded with the Oasis in Crown but will not be that bad and is still a good choice IMHO. Actually we also like the Island Beachcomber in Lindbergh Bay. The Beachcomber is a nice, less touristy resort where we meet more locals that other tourists. The planes aren't a big deal there at all, and the OP can daydream about flying in on ne of them in a couple years for a nice vacation with a new family member!

For the closest beach to relax at Morningstar would be our recommendation. For the nicest beach to relax at with just enough amenities we'd choose Sapphire.

[EDIT] I would not consider Morningstar a short walk from the ship at all, especially for the OP's wife!

Weebobby for a gorgeous beach with nice island views and pretty sapphire-colored water just hop a taxi to Sapphire. Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties and has abundant natural shade along the shore which makes your day much more comfortable and there is a lot of room to spread out. We rent there and rarely see it crowded there, nothing like Magens and other popular beaches. Dive In rents lounges, floating mats, snorkel gear and kayaks, there are decent restrooms, and there are a few food and drink choices. $20pp roundtrip taxi to one of the most beautiful beaches on the island that oozes character.

Water Island is not a good choice for the OP, too much work and travel time from Havensight, and Honeymoon Beach will be very crowded because the ferry is so close to the Oasis. Way too mant people there even with no ships docked at Crown because excursion operators drop folks there as part of their day.

Edited by blue_water

Sapphire was always my first choice for a beach day when I lived on St Thomas. Even this winter when I would check the web cam in despair over this horrid winter, it never looked crowded.

Yeah the walk to Morninstar is probably longer than I remember, since we always managed to stop for a daquiri at one of the bars or brunch at the resort.;)

I loved Water Island but with ships docking at Crown Point I think I 'll scratch that off the list for my cruise.

Yes, totally agree with you on Sapphire, the only beach we consider nicer is LIndqvist. And it is too bad that WI is getting so crowded as Heidi's and Dinghy's are great spots to relax...

Cruising introduced us to the beautiful islands of the Caribbean, and we still cruise occasionally between land vacations. We love staying on Tortola for the beauty, people, restaurants and music, followed by a stay at Sapphire to enjoy the beautiful beach there and evenings in Red Hook. I'm concerned about Tortola getting much busier with the expanded cruise ship dock though, cruising is a huge industry today!

Hi everyone

thanks so much for so much information !!!!!!!!!!! I will read through it all again now and start having a look. Sapphire sounds like a good idea for us ! ! Magens Bay looks lovely but with three ships in port it will be like the beach equivalent of the cruise ship i'm sure !!

blue_water what is your beach recommendation for Tortola ???? as the Getaway docks there the next day !!!!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers

Weebobby

Hi everyone

thanks so much for so much information !!!!!!!!!!! I will read through it all again now and start having a look. Sapphire sounds like a good idea for us ! ! Magens Bay looks lovely but with three ships in port it will be like the beach equivalent of the cruise ship i'm sure !!

blue_water what is your beach recommendation for Tortola ???? as the Getaway docks there the next day !!!!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers

Weebobby

I replied on the Tortola forum and recommended Brewers Bay based on your requests. But take a look at this thread, I provided some info on the beaches of Tortola and there are many great posts and recommendations from others as well. Note that there are currently no vendors or facilities at Smuggler's Cove, so for amenities BB and CGB are the primary choices. But the Long Bay Resort also rents lounges and there is a restaurant on the beach. Nice walking beach and we like relaxing there and watching the pelicans dive. So I'd probably taxi there, taxi is a little more than to BB, perhaps $8pp more round trip. But a very nice spot away from the crowds, you can email them with questions on their web site and they will reply promptly. Enjoy your cruise! :)

http://www.longbay.com

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info !! much appreciated !!!

Think I am going to go for Brewers Bay on Tortola and Sapphire Beach on St.Thomas !

What a nice couple of beach days! On Tortola you will find several small shops near the cruise dock (Sunny Caribbee is a great spice and rub shop) as well as Pusser's Pub, an English-style pub with great Shepherd's Pie and bangers & mash dishes and unique clothing. But you can also enjoy a great burger or fish burger at Nicole's beach bar right at Brewers.

http://sunnycaribbee.com/

https://www.pussers.com/t-road-town-pub.aspx

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/to_nicoles_beach_bar.html

Enjoy! :)

Edited by blue_water