Lodging

dondiane

Hello UK cruisers, hopeful one of you would be able to answer a few questions about London area for us. We are 4 seniors living in Central Florida who are planning a transatlantic next year. We plan on staying in London for 5 days prior to flying back. I currently am looking for a B&B to stay at and have been in contact on a site called ATHOMEINLONDON. They've offered a stay in a two bedroom flat, the problem we have it's not in the central London area. It's in FULHAM zone 2. A two minute walk to the West Brampton tube station. How difficult is the transport for ones not at all familiar. Also, are there any reasons we should not stay in or around that area in general. My hubby and I have spent a few days in London from time to time but always in a hotel in the touristy area. The other couple have not been to U.K. At all.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, (you could reply here or directly to dianedon1945 at Yahoo dot com )

Regards,

Diane

If you like the look of the accommodation and are happy with the cost of it then the district should not be a problem. You can travel virtually all over London on the Underground. Lots of buses as well. You can purchase Oyster cards which can be topped up and are the most cost economic way to travel around. Before booking this accommodation I suggest you look at the Premier Inn, County Hall. This is on the South Bank next to Waterloo and the LondonEye. You can get some great rates if you book way in advance. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The London UNDERGROUND as it is signposted has got to be the easiest system to use in the world. The map shows all the lines in vivid colour giving each a name and stations where you can get off and reboard onto a different line are clearly marked. Most platforms only have the one line using it but where this is not so audible announcements are made and an illuminated sign on platform and front of train will also confirm. You can choose your own route and change trains where you like if no single direct connection exists. Checking you are going in the correct direction once on a train is easy because the trains have maps of the line they serve so you just check first stop is correct. Timetables are not required as trains normally run every few minutes. If a train looks packed wait for the next and they often fill up more mid-train so reposition along the platform for the next one. Signage to each line is clear, easy to understand and walk through access has been improved for people who wish to avoid the automatic barriers. The moving stairs down to the platforms are called Escalators this is not a word used much by Americans but signs will show this word if appropriate. The infamous MIND THE GAP announcement is generally only given at stations with curved platforms!

Regards John