Pre-Alaska cruise accomdation

oftencruiser

We are sailing Aug. 26 God willing.

We fly from Toronto and have to get to Whittier. Prices for airfare to here are expensive so can we fly into Anchorage and then find transportation to Whittier?

Also we need 1 night accommodation. Any suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Not knowing when you're arriving and when you need to leave for Whittier, I would suggest a hotel near the airport for easy access to the Princess bus transfer. In June we stayed at the Fairfield Inn-Midtown. Very clean, free airport shuttle, very nice breakfast, close to a couple restaurants.

We arrived back at the airport early the next day and went to the Alaska Airlines baggage claim area where Princess has their representatives for transfers to/from the airport.

We were given a 'pass' to be on the 1st bus to the ship which left at 12 noon and took approximately 90 minutes (although only 60 miles from Anchorage, vehicles have to wait for the Whittier tunnel to open for the direction they are headed). While waiting in the airport for our bus, we went upstairs by the airline counters and used the free internet.

If you have more time available the day you arrive in Anchorage, others on the board may suggest hotels in the downtown area that are within walking distance to many activities and eating establishments.

Others have suggested to take the Alaskan RR train from Anchorage to Whittier (very scenic ride - be sure to sit on the RIGHT side of the bus or train for the best views).

If you arrive at the ship in the early afternoon, you may even have time to catch a local glacier boat tour that leaves right next to the ships.

Be prepared to be amazed at the grandeur and beauty of Alaska! Have a wonderful trip!

We stayed at the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage. Great hotel transfer from airport, checked in with Princess Cruises right at the hotel on arrival. We then took the train down to Whittier also had a bus transfer from the hotel. Met a lovely couple on the way down to Whittier made the already wonderful trip go even faster. Got to the ship and was in our room and then to lunch in the dining room in less than 30 minutes. Hope this helps.

As a local, I highly recommend using Princess transfers to get from Anchorage to Whittier because they're responsible for getting you to the ship. The Seward HWY is a gorgeous drive, but if there's an accident, it can be shut down for hours. This just happened last Friday, and Royal Caribbean had to sail late in order to allow all of its stuck pax to reach the ship. The most scenic transfer would be the train, but if you'd rather not splurge on that, the coach will still offer a very scenic drive.

For an Anchorage hotel, I recommend staying downtown, so you're within walking now distance of restaurants, museums, etc. The Captain Cook has the most character, And then we have the usual good chain hotels of Hilton and Marriott. The Sheraton is on the edge of downtown but nice.

Have a fantastic cruise! [emoji568]

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express, coming in two days early and taking Alaska Railway to Whittier. We have done this before and the train ride is beautiful. The cost for 2 is $158.62 and leaves 9:45 a.m. And gets you to Whittier a little after noon so you have most of the day on board your ship.

We also travelled on the railroad to Whittier - a lovely trip through beautiful scenery. And if your cruise starts on a Saturday you will have chance to look round the market in Anchorage after you have checked in your luggage at the station. Lots of local crafts for sale - well worth a visit.

I don't agree to take a Princess transfer, there are several others to also consider. Listings http://www.anchorage.net

I also highly recommend you may want to look into a Prince William Sound boat tour, since you are only arriving the day before, and are very limited with touring options. Especially if you would like to take advantage of being in Alaska? I never recommend anyone rush on to a ship leaving Alaska. :) The Alaska RR is a great transfer, transfers your bags to the ship and allows you to go on a PWS boat tour. :)

I don't agree to take a Princess transfer, there are several others to also consider. Listings http://www.anchorage.net

I also highly recommend you may want to look into a Prince William Sound boat tour, since you are only arriving the day before, and are very limited with touring options. Especially if you would like to take advantage of being in Alaska? I never recommend anyone rush on to a ship leaving Alaska. :) The Alaska RR is a great transfer, transfers your bags to the ship and allows you to go on a PWS boat tour. :)

Hi BudgetQueen

When booking the Alaska RR to Whitter, where do you request that they transfer your bags to the ship ?

Also where do we collect the bags from before we checkin with Princess at the cruise terminal, I presuming that the Alaska RR don't check in our bags for us with Princess ?

Edited by kazda

Hi BudgetQueen

When booking the Alaska RR to Whitter, where do you request that they transfer your bags to the ship ?

Also where do we collect the bags from before we checkin with Princess at the cruise terminal, I presuming that the Alaska RR don't check in our bags for us with Princess ?

You have your cruise ship tags on your bags, when you check them in at the Anchorage depot- yes they are transferred direct to your ship. You do not collect them, from the train.

Just two weeks ago we finished our DIY land tour by staying one night at the Anchorage Marriott and taking the Alaska RR to Whittier to board the Coral Princess. As others mention, as long as you have your cruise luggage tags on your bags when you check in for the train, they will be transferred to the ship for you. The train ride was very scenic.

We took a cab from the Marriott to the train station for about $10. The Marriott was nice and in a good location for walking to restaurants. We went to Humpy's and experienced our first earthquake ever while eating dinner there. Quite a strange sensation.