Favorite Glacier Experience

jormot

There are way too many options for cruising Alaska. We can only do a one way, either via Seattle or Vancouver. My husband wants to see Hubbard Glacier which leaves us with Celebrity R/T Vancouver. I would prefer Glacier Bay. However, if we do Glacier Bay it leaves us less money for excursions. If we chance Hubbard we can do the Glacier Trek in Juneau which will still give us a glacier experience. I know everyone feels differently about their experiences but based on yours which would be the most value and leave you with the most memories?

Jormot,

I am a little confused when you state that you can only do a one way via Seattle or Vancouver and then discuss a round trip on Celebrity. Maybe you felt this was the only option, not sure.

In any case, if you want to see both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on the same cruise take a look at a southbound "Voyage of the Glaciers" on Princess. There are several ships doing this itinerary. They leave from Whittier (near Anchorage), and end in Vancouver. They are 7 day itineraries.

I have done this cruise several times and the glacier experiences are superb.

So you can only do a round trip?

You and your husband, FIRST have to come to some kind of agreement. That will narrow your choices significantly.

As for your "glacier trek", mention. Which one?

These are two good glacier options if you have a priority for glaciers.

My favorite glacier experience was not on one of the "big" glaciers but on the 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier earlier this spring. Watched the Harbour seals give birth on the icebergs.....It was an amazing experience...and I just happened to be at the right spot at the right time.....

I think you're far more likely to get close to the glaciers in GB than you are to get to Hubbard. I'm not sure how close cruises normally get to Hubbard, but I know the one I just did we were still quite some distance away when we turned around (massive fog that day, plus a pretty good ice berm in the water preventing going further). I'm sure there's trips that don't get close to the glaciers in GB, but I don't think that's real common, and I know every trip I've made we've been pretty close.