Elephant abuse

katiestan1

By now most of us are aware of the "elephant treks" and "baby elephant shows" that are all over Asia ( and other places). There is no way to get a baby elephant to perform unless they are subjected to disgusting CRUELTY. If you insist on riding on an elephant then please research this topic before committing to such a thing.

There are humane camps here and there, but they do not involve SHOWS or ELEPHANT RIDES. Google "training baby elephants" and it will sicken you. Elephant rides aren't any better.

If you visit one of these elephant camps, you are part of the abuse. The camp will always say they treat their elephants well but this only occurs in elephant refuges where they are allowed to be free and not shackled up and beaten mercilessly. Once you read about this, I guarantee you will not go on an elephant trek. Go to the humane places...easily found with an internet search.

By now most of us are aware of the "elephant treks" and "baby elephant shows" that are all over Asia ( and other places). There is no way to get a baby elephant to perform unless they are subjected to disgusting CRUELTY. If you insist on riding on an elephant then please research this topic before committing to such a thing.

There are humane camps here and there, but they do not involve SHOWS or ELEPHANT RIDES. Google "training baby elephants" and it will sicken you. Elephant rides aren't any better.

If you visit one of these elephant camps, you are part of the abuse. The camp will always say they treat their elephants well but this only occurs in elephant refuges where they are allowed to be free and not shackled up and beaten mercilessly. Once you read about this, I guarantee you will not go on an elephant trek. Go to the humane places...easily found with an internet search.

When i visited Thailand in 1981, I did a ride on an elephant.

A few years ago, I read an article warning about how dangerous it can be. Percentage wise, chances of injury are probably not high, but my sense is that if something goes wrong, you will be seriously injured at a minimum.

I am referring to the abuse of the elephants, not danger to humans! Sigh.

No need to be snarky when someone misunderstood your post.

People may understand your point better if you posted evidence and links rather than an unsupported comment.

Edited by 3littlepigs
Spelling

No need to be snarky when someone misunderstood your post.

People may understand your point better if you posted evidence and links rather than an unsupported comment.

I was somewhat off subject, but just adding a reason not to ride elephants.

I have worked on a farm and working with animals sometimes requires the use of force not allowed vs. humans. Example, using electric cattle prods.

We really don't know how the specific elephants are treated, but it is likely that their training too some use of force?

Should people not go to a circus because of the way animals are trained?

My statements are well supported by just a little research on the Internet. As for,being snarky, I was not. Only that the first reply was off topic ( but I see this is another reason to add to the list for not riding elephants). Why would I chime in with lies about this issue? If you don't want to know about the rampant abuse then ignore it. I find myself in the position of someone who went to a tourist attraction without knowledge of what was really going on and I would have been grateful for this information beforehand.

And, yes,many are now enlightened about animal acts at the circus and are faced with the moral decision of supporting this type of entertainment.

Edited by katiestan1
Needed a D at end of FACE

I am sure there is abuse of elephants as with many other animals, however, it is pointless making generalisations without providing evidence to support your case. Suggesting readers do an internet search is not at all helpful. Providing links supporting your argument supports your statements and validates your generalisations.

Not being snarky...what was the "sigh" comment about then?

• 3 weeks later...
I was somewhat off subject, but just adding a reason not to ride elephants.

I have worked on a farm and working with animals sometimes requires the use of force not allowed vs. humans. Example, using electric cattle prods.

We really don't know how the specific elephants are treated, but it is likely that their training too some use of force?

Should people not go to a circus because of the way animals are trained?

That is why circuses these days do not usually have animal acts, at least not here in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Marylizcat,

Thank you for your response. That is good to hear. Cruise Critic isn't the place to talk about elephant abuse apparently. However, we cruisers are also tourists. The elephant / animal camps are set up for tourists (ignorant tourists). So, as long as we remain ignorant in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary...evils are allowed to flourish!