train to ship question in Seward

GeorgiaPeach51

Can anyone tell me how passengers on the train from Anchorage to Seward get to the ship from the train station?

We did this cruise the other way around previously and I have not been able to find an answer with the search function.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Depends which train?

Are you booking the cruise contracted train? That uses the spur track right up to the dock. If booking the regular run through Alaska RR- then you may be able to get the shuttle bus- could be some longer waits, since the train unloads all at once and loading the people and luggage on the school buses- is time consuming. You could take a short cab ride, or walk.

Sorry, meant to say we are on the Alaska RR train and there are seven of us. I imagine the train will be completely full, unlike our last trip, which was in May. I guess we will see if the shuttle is a possibility, and then look at the cab option. Thanks, again.

If you are on a cruise line transfer, and not the regular train it will take you directly to the ship, it doesn't go to the regular station, and it is a very short walk to the gangway.

If you ride down on the scheduled train that arrives around noon, you should grab a cab to help with the luggage, though it is only about a 10 minute walk from the train station to the dock. The issue would be the luggage not the distance.

Sorry, meant to say we are on the Alaska RR train and there are seven of us. I imagine the train will be completely full, unlike our last trip, which was in May. I guess we will see if the shuttle is a possibility, and then look at the cab option. Thanks, again.

Last year- numerous sold out trains on cruise days.

Thanks, ZQVOL and Budget Queen. We will be anxious to see Seward again, wanting to head to Exit Glacier, so will probably choose what is most expedient. Want to make the most of every second! Getting excited for our kids to see Alaska...and to see them see it!

• 2 months later...

So it sounds like there are two train options from Anchorage to Seward -- one that you would purchase tickets from Celebrity (that goes right to the port); or one that you purchase on your own that uses a different track that is a cab ride away from the port? Any opinions of which to use - cost, scenery, etc?

So it sounds like there are two train options from Anchorage to Seward -- one that you would purchase tickets from Celebrity (that goes right to the port); or one that you purchase on your own that uses a different track that is a cab ride away from the port? Any opinions of which to use - cost, scenery, etc?

In Seward there is also a shuttle bus (school bus) that does a loop run from the train depot to the cruise ship. You can see the ship from the depot, a 15 minute walk- if you want to.

The cruise contracted train, is more costly and has what I think is poor timing. It leaves Anchorage too early and arrives Seward too late for much of any touring in either city. If you wish to take advantage of being in Seward- with the multiple excellent touring opportunities, then take the regular Alaska RR run.