Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Thanks for the info Gigglewolf. BTW ... was on RCL Navigator last December and really loved the spa arrangement there. You're right...it's the best at sea! :)

NCL Navigator Mens facilities:

sauna:

web.jpg?ver=12551136150001

steam:

web.jpg?ver=12551136170001

showers:

web.jpg?ver=12551136220001

community facilities:

salt water hot tub in gym (Love it!)

DSC00015.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12551136090001

adult pool no roof "solarium":

web.jpg?ver=12551136070001

Edited by chongkwang

Hi. I'm going on the Oosterdam out of San Diego in December. Anybody familiar with the men's facilities onboard. Want to know if there is a sauna or spa separate from women's facilities. What's the workout equipment like? Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Here are some Pics Of HAL Oosterdam facilities:

Mens sauna is on opposite side of ship from nice mens locker room, very small, never used it seems.

HALoosterSauna.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12551136310001

mens locker room:

web.jpg?ver=12551136280001

Co-ed extra cost facilities (Around $12 a day for entire cruise)

Thalassotherapy pool:

web.jpg?ver=12551136330001

heated loungers.... fell asleep a few times on these

web.jpg?ver=12551136290001

Being an avid user of spa facilities (fitness equipment, steamroom, sauna, etc) and having traveled on a just a few lines (RCI, Celebrity, NCL), I was wondering what other cruise lines or ships have the best facilities.

Describe facility configurations (amount of equipment, access, co-ed vs. men's only) and service-level (clean, well-attended, etc.)

Thanks!;)

I put pictures of cruise spa facilities at http://gallery.me.com/carfree#100243

there is a link where you can add your pictures to that site also, hopefully we can get a good idea of the cool facilities available

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a list of ships with male only spa facilities instead of co-ed???

NCL Navigator Mens facilities:

sauna:

web.jpg?ver=12551136150001

steam:

web.jpg?ver=12551136170001

showers:

web.jpg?ver=12551136220001

community facilities:

salt water hot tub in gym (Love it!)

DSC00015.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12551136090001

adult pool no roof "solarium":

web.jpg?ver=12551136070001

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered a pretty good "FL resident" deal on RCI's Navigator of the Seas for February 4, 2010 (4-night to Cozumel): Inside staterooms start at $199 pp double occ.

HOWEVER, the awesome part is that if you're looking to travel single-occupancy, the single-supplement appears to be greatly reduced from the usual 200%: an inside "Q" guarantee is going for only $274, plus port & tax (total $337).

While the sole-port of the itinerary leaves much to be desired, I very much enjoy the Navigator and the fact that it's a short cruise leaving on Thursday & gets me back to work on Monday.

And as described above, the spa facilities on this ship are quite nice...NAVIGATOR GIVES GREAT SPA!! (lol) ;)

Cheers!!

Gigglewolf

:p

• 2 weeks later...

well, the best thing to that is it is everything is free. what i love most on Men's Spa Facilities while on cruise is their Sauna bath. It feels very relaxing for me... Then a nice massage after the long tiring day on the cruise... How very relaxing even when i am reminiscing it....:D

Some additional informations about the spa facilities onboard other cruise ships not mentioned before (if I'm not wrong):

-Costa Pacifica, Serena, Concordia, Luminosa & the new Costa Deliziosa: thermal suite (parte of the so called Samsara Spa). Co-ed and extra charge (you need to buy a daily pass or a full cruise pass). Two small saunas, free of charge, close to the gym, onboard Pacifica, Serena and Concordia.

-Costa Magica, Fortuna: separeted large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Celebrity Century: separeted small saunas. Free of charge. Thermal suite, co-ed, extra charge.

-Grandeur of the Seas & Vision of the Seas: separeted quite large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Splendour of the Seas & Legend of the Seas: separeted good size sauna and steam baths. Free of charge.

I'm still quite confused about the Enchantment of the Seas. I have read that the former saunas and steam baths were removed after the lenghtening (the original configuration was probably pretty much the same of the sister ship Grandeur of the Seas), but a lot of sources on the web mention a sauna, including the Royal Caribbean International web site. Who have been onboard this ship recently to tell the truth ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just did the transatlantic on the Solstice in Aquaclass (their 'spa' class). The spa set up on this ship is TERRIBLE. It is so wrong on so many counts that I find it extraordinary that they use this 'Persian Garden' as a concept by which they market this ship. Let me start 1.) The door to the Persian Garden was never locked, so it quickly became obvious that it was open to anyone ship wide. I feel sorry for those who had to actually pay to use this facility, when it wasn't necessary to do so. No member of staff ever asked to to see the so called 'spa pass'. 2). In the Persian Garden itself, there are only 8 heated beds, which were quickly claimed by people who wanted to lie there all day reading their books. That's fine- but if you then have a steam, and come out for a break - there is absolutely nowehere else to sit. What do you do ? Stand up against the wall for 10 minutes, or leave.

3). The Persian Garden is a 'relaxation' area and as such there are signs all over the place requesting quiet. However, in the European tradition, the sauna is the place to go when you want to meet and talk with people. As any conversation in the steam sauna/steam was clearly audible to those book readers on their heated beds outside (and who rarely, if ever, went into the steam/sauna), you often received disapproving looks from them when you left the steam/sauna. There is a 'relaxation room' located on another deck - surely this should be the only 'no conversation' area. 3). If you wanted to move from one part of the spa to another, it was always a matter of having to get dressed. If you wanted to use a hot tub, you had to leave the spa altogether. 4). There is a TINY sauna in the men's locker room, which was where I preferred to go, because at least you could have some conversation with other users. However, again NOWHERE to sit in this area if you have a rest between sweats. 5). In the mens locker room, there were perhaps about 20 lockers for which the keys were NEVER available. Guys just ended up leaving their clothes on the floor. 6). No drinking fountain in the mens locker room.

The problems with this spa area go on and on. If you are a fan of a spa at sea, I'm afraid I would have to say avoid this ship completely - which is a pity, because the rest of the ship is impressive.

If you insist on sailing on Solstice, and are not Aquaclass - whatever you do, don't PAY to use the Persian Garden. You can get in for free.

Some additional informations about the spa facilities onboard other cruise ships not mentioned before (if I'm not wrong):

-Costa Pacifica, Serena, Concordia, Luminosa & the new Costa Deliziosa: thermal suite (parte of the so called Samsara Spa). Co-ed and extra charge (you need to buy a daily pass or a full cruise pass). Two small saunas, free of charge, close to the gym, onboard Pacifica, Serena and Concordia.

-Costa Magica, Fortuna: separeted large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Celebrity Century: separeted small saunas. Free of charge. Thermal suite, co-ed, extra charge.

-Grandeur of the Seas & Vision of the Seas: separeted quite large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Splendour of the Seas & Legend of the Seas: separeted good size sauna and steam baths. Free of charge.

I'm still quite confused about the Enchantment of the Seas. I have read that the former saunas and steam baths were removed after the lenghtening (the original configuration was probably pretty much the same of the sister ship Grandeur of the Seas), but a lot of sources on the web mention a sauna, including the Royal Caribbean International web site. Who have been onboard this ship recently to tell the truth ?

Just off Grandeur of the Sea Dec 3 cruise your above info is correct about her mens spa.

Edited by forecastle
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Spent Christmas & New Year on Explorer & had a great time.

The Mens spa layout is the same as Navigators in the above pics.

I love using the sauna & steam when cruising & used this one at least twice a day - once in the morning for 30 mins or so & again late afternoon/early evening for approx 2.5 hours. I usually shave, shower etc. there rather than in my stateroom. The whole area was very busy every evening, all like minded guys looking for an escape from their travelling companions, at times it was too busy I have to say.

On leaving the changing/locker area there are 3 showers & a water fountain, to the left of the changing area are the sauna & steam rooms, plus 3 more showers. The water in the showers was always too warm & was never cold enough for a proper cool down.

The sauna is a great size & steam room too, both with subtle lighting effects. The area however was a little grubby & could have done with a decent clean. The cleaner/attendant spent most of his time just sitting on a bench, while used towels littered benches & floor space, on 4/5 days of the second week there were no fresh towels to be had for most of the afternoon - I did complain, but to no avail.

I was amazed to see men using the sauna/steam clothed! Jog suits, T shirts, hats & trainers were all spotted. What's that about?

I can't wait to strip off & sit naked on my towel in the heat - a great feeling. I think that a "Sauna Rules" notice board would help cure this problem.

Thanks for the info on Explorer of the Seas, BillyBeachBoy!! I'm also a fan of this class of ships' facilities and, from what I've gathered, the facilities of the Freedom/Liberty/Independence-of-the-Seas are QUITE similar to the Explorer/Navigator/Voyager (etc), even though the Freedom & such are a tad larger.

I'm sailing on the Navigator-of-the-Seas during the first week of February and very much looking forward to a lot of time relaxing at the spa. ;)

Now to report on my recent (first) Princess cruise...

Sailed aboard the CROWN Princess the week after Thanksgiving '09. Having never sailed Princess before, I tried to keep a very open mind as to the onboard experience. I've posted my general opinions on Princess in other threads, so won't re-hash here; I'll just focus on the Men's spa facilities (I presume the women's facilities are identical, for those who are interested).

The locker room entry door is right-off a main hallway leading to the rest of the public spa area, with no turn or partition to shield the view into the locker room. Not a very good design, from a privacy perspective (attendants kept giving me locker keys for lockers just inside this door and gave me attitude when I tried to explain these lockers were in full-view of the hallway [not a prude here, but do have some level of modesty/privacy, lol]).

The locker/changing area was very cramped, but seemed to have an adequate number of lockers for the number of people on our cruise. The locks on the lockers, however, were QUITE EASY to release, so not very safe.

There were two toilet rooms and a sink just off the changing area. Opposite the toilet area was the entry into the shower/sauna/steam room area. There were 3 showers, with only one having any semblance of adequated water pressure. Temperature control on all the showers was shotty at-best & impossible at-worst. There was also one water fountain in this area, also with dismal water pressure.

The sauna room temperature was very good & consistant throughout the cruise. My best guess is that it could seat 6 rather comfortably and up to 8 very tightly. Guests are able to pour water over the sauna stones to increase heat/humidity in the sauna.

The steam room temperature and conditions were also very good & consistent throughout the cruise. My best guess is that it could seat 7 rather comfortably (with one seat right over the steam entry point [REAL HOT SEAT :o] ) and perhaps two more very tightly. The steam room was one of those pre-fabbed, plastic-walled steam rooms (not like the nice tiled rooms on the Voyager, Freedom and Radiance class ships in RCI's fleet).

Generally, these facilities were occupied throughout the day with anywhere from 2 to 12 people, with the busiest time being in the afternoon on sea-days. The locker room attendants were polite & attentive and visited the area often throughout the day to replenish towels.

IMPORTANT: The spa staff (likely Steiner employees, or whatever) were generally impatient & borderline discourteous. Seems like none of them like to man the spa desk. Also, they have signs in the locker room indicating that lockers are for the sole use of guests with scheduled spa treatments. However, if one asks nicely enough (geez, who's supposed to be nice to who, lol), they will provide locker keys to non-spa guests once you provide your boarding pass (pass is returned when you return with the locker key). Finally, access to these facilities was free-of-charge (but not free of spa desk attitude, ha).

Hope folks find this review helpful. Please let me know if there's something about these facilities you'd like to know, but which I may have excluded from my report.

I still look forward to reading everyone else's reviews on men's spa facilities for vessels which have not been already described.

Bon voyage to ALL,

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

This is a good information you have given. On the Star Princess next February and look forward to it. You cannot beat a good old sauna/steam.

On the P&O Oceana next Friday 22nd January, so hope the facilities on there are good. I will report back here when off the cruise.

Once again thanks for the information.

This is a good information you have given. On the Star Princess next February and look forward to it. You cannot beat a good old sauna/steam.

On the P&O Oceana next Friday 22nd January, so hope the facilities on there are good. I will report back here when off the cruise.

Once again thanks for the information.

Happytraveller,

You will find the P&O Oceana facilities rather small. There is a sauna and steam room, one for ladies and one for gents. Small area with lockers in, small sink and toilet then through to the sauna and steam room area with 2 showers and a few chairs to sit on.

The number of people wjo use it varies at different times throughout the day.

If you require further info let me know.

Thanks for the information appreciated. I do prefer it when there are single sex sauna/steamroom, feels more comfortable to be honest. If like other ships i have been on, at times busier than others. Days at sea tend to be the busiest and I tend to go in afternoons usually round t time. I also like to use gym before finishing off in sauna/steam.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info on Explorer of the Seas, BillyBeachBoy!! I'm also a fan of this class of ships' facilities and, from what I've gathered, the facilities of the Freedom/Liberty/Independence-of-the-Seas are QUITE similar to the Explorer/Navigator/Voyager (etc), even though the Freedom & such are a tad larger.

I'm sailing on the Navigator-of-the-Seas during the first week of February and very much looking forward to a lot of time relaxing at the spa. ;)

Now to report on my recent (first) Princess cruise...

Sailed aboard the CROWN Princess the week after Thanksgiving '09. Having never sailed Princess before, I tried to keep a very open mind as to the onboard experience. I've posted my general opinions on Princess in other threads, so won't re-hash here; I'll just focus on the Men's spa facilities (I presume the women's facilities are identical, for those who are interested).

The locker room entry door is right-off a main hallway leading to the rest of the public spa area, with no turn or partition to shield the view into the locker room. Not a very good design, from a privacy perspective (attendants kept giving me locker keys for lockers just inside this door and gave me attitude when I tried to explain these lockers were in full-view of the hallway [not a prude here, but do have some level of modesty/privacy, lol]).

The locker/changing area was very cramped, but seemed to have an adequate number of lockers for the number of people on our cruise. The locks on the lockers, however, were QUITE EASY to release, so not very safe.

There were two toilet rooms and a sink just off the changing area. Opposite the toilet area was the entry into the shower/sauna/steam room area. There were 3 showers, with only one having any semblance of adequated water pressure. Temperature control on all the showers was shotty at-best & impossible at-worst. There was also one water fountain in this area, also with dismal water pressure.

The sauna room temperature was very good & consistant throughout the cruise. My best guess is that it could seat 6 rather comfortably and up to 8 very tightly. Guests are able to pour water over the sauna stones to increase heat/humidity in the sauna.

The steam room temperature and conditions were also very good & consistent throughout the cruise. My best guess is that it could seat 7 rather comfortably (with one seat right over the steam entry point [REAL HOT SEAT :o] ) and perhaps two more very tightly. The steam room was one of those pre-fabbed, plastic-walled steam rooms (not like the nice tiled rooms on the Voyager, Freedom and Radiance class ships in RCI's fleet).

Generally, these facilities were occupied throughout the day with anywhere from 2 to 12 people, with the busiest time being in the afternoon on sea-days. The locker room attendants were polite & attentive and visited the area often throughout the day to replenish towels.

IMPORTANT: The spa staff (likely Steiner employees, or whatever) were generally impatient & borderline discourteous. Seems like none of them like to man the spa desk. Also, they have signs in the locker room indicating that lockers are for the sole use of guests with scheduled spa treatments. However, if one asks nicely enough (geez, who's supposed to be nice to who, lol), they will provide locker keys to non-spa guests once you provide your boarding pass (pass is returned when you return with the locker key). Finally, access to these facilities was free-of-charge (but not free of spa desk attitude, ha).

Hope folks find this review helpful. Please let me know if there's something about these facilities you'd like to know, but which I may have excluded from my report.

I still look forward to reading everyone else's reviews on men's spa facilities for vessels which have not been already described.

Bon voyage to ALL,

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

Giggleworth - please be sure to give us a review of the Navigator spa. We're going on March 13, 2010.

Please see my review of the Navigator of the Seas (or any of the of Voyager-class ships) earlier in this thread, as well as excellent info & pics posted by 'chongkwang'.

As for the current condition of the Navigator's spa facilities:

Generally the men's spa facolities are in GREAT condition and VERY CLEAN, with just a light scattering of a few rusty edges on certain door frames & ceiling panels. Controlling the shower water temperature is still difficult; I found the best one to control was the disabled access shower (just outside the steam room, although the water pressure wasn't all that strong).

Some men found the heat of the sauna a bit light, until they threw some water on the rocks (the sauna bucket was missing, though) and sat on the top bench. The steam room heat was consistent, yet still a bit light for some (just sit there long enough and you WILL feel it).

Otherwise, I was impressed that the spa facilities were still in generally good shape, considering the age of the vessel & the 'wear-and-tear' she experiences on a weekly basis.

Cheers!

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

;)

BEST OVERALL SPA

Princess Cruises, Caribbean and Sapphire Princess

Why: Princess’ spa on these two ships genuinely feels like a destination spa – once inside you’ll forget you’re on a cruise ship. We especially love the way the facility is wrapped around its outdoor thalassotherapy pool (which gives it a peaceful, away-from-the-party-crowd ambience all its own). The Lotus Spa concept (seen across the fleet but especially successful here) is quite zen-like and relaxing.

• 1 month later...

While the locker room set-up on this ship is less than ideal....the steam room makes up for it. The room is completely tiled in mosaic, very bright and colorful. The seating, also tiled is on curved benches, on two levels.

There is a sauna as well, just a basic sauna....and at that time there was no charge for either the steam or sauna. This policy may be different on the newer, larger ships..

• 2 weeks later...

We're looking at a 14 day TA from Harwich to Boston in September 2011 (stops in Iceland, Ireland, Newfoundland).

I read one poster's comment that the thermal suite wasn't worth the $15 a day. Any other feedback? I am wondering if the thermal suite is similar to Celebrity's Persian Garden? This is the same cost, co-ed and has steam, dry, aroma showers and warm tiled bench.

Thanks!

On the Jewel of the Seas there are two areas for the spa. One is not Co-Ed and the other is.

We never used the one you pay for becvause we thought it was not worth the money, yes they do have tiled beds etc, a little like the Persian Garden on Celebrity.

The other Male and Female steam and sauna has two cabins and about 4 shower areas is quite a large area complete with lockers etc.

LEESRE: Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. So the Male and Female steam and sauna (with two cabins, four showers and lockers) those are not co-ed, right? Guess not with lockers, lol. I assume the pay area is co-ed then.

Sounds like the same amenities in both, sans the tiled benches. Wonder why they would charge then.

When we use the Persian Gardens on Celebrity, note that it is usually pretty quiet and seldom used. This can be good...

Sailed on Jewel a few years ago, the set up is very similar to Brilliance. There are four showers (one a disabled shower) two next to each other.

The sauna is quite big and good, the steam is smaller, circular and comfortably will fit about 5-6 people.

The area is sinle sex, never used the pais area, no need.

One of our favourite spa areas!