How to download photos by date taken

vegs1

Currently, when I take photos, they all pile into one folder. Is there a way to get them to download by the date they were taken?

I have a Canon S3IS and a Canon SD880 (although I'm not sure if this matters when downloading).

Also, a friend is lending me her Canon XSI to take to Alaska. It only has a telephone lens (the regular lens broke) so I'm wondering would I use that for my whale trip or use both that and my regular camera?

Thank you.

Currently, when I take photos, they all pile into one folder. Is there a way to get them to download by the date they were taken?

I have a Canon S3IS and a Canon SD880 (although I'm not sure if this matters when downloading).

Also, a friend is lending me her Canon XSI to take to Alaska. It only has a telephone lens (the regular lens broke) so I'm wondering would I use that for my whale trip or use both that and my regular camera?

Thank you.

Hmmmmm.. Is it a 3G Telephone lens with a decent web browser?

Your camera stores them in one folder on the flash card until that folder is full and it creates another. How your photos are offloaded from the camera depends on the program you use. Many programs will allow you to download them based on file name, date or let you pick where/how they go. I download my files sorting by date and then all the pictures taken on that date are in order by their file name. Some programs will also allow you to apply "tags" to the files when you offload them so you can "tag" your pictures "Alaska 2009" or something else to make them easy to find in the future.

I would take your friends Xsi with telephoto lens and your camera. I am a minimalist but I still keep an SD camera in by pocket as back-up in case my main camera decides to take a nap.

Your camera stores them in one folder on the flash card until that folder is full and it creates another. How your photos are offloaded from the camera depends on the program you use. Many programs will allow you to download them based on file name, date or let you pick where/how they go. I download my files sorting by date and then all the pictures taken on that date are in order by their file name. Some programs will also allow you to apply "tags" to the files when you offload them so you can "tag" your pictures "Alaska 2009" or something else to make them easy to find in the future.

I would take your friends Xsi with telephoto lens and your camera. I am a minimalist but I still keep an SD camera in by pocket as back-up in case my main camera decides to take a nap.

Thanks pilotdane! I shall look to see if I can download my photos in a different way. Maybe I've just been missing something all along.

I will also take both cameras. I'm hoping to have a few days to try out the telephoto as I've never used one. I'm not even sure what size of telephoto it is so I'm sure a little practise will help a lot.

Thank you.

Take your friend DSLR and telephoto. it will get far better pictures the either your S3IS or SD880. Hopefully the telephoto is the 70-300 IS, if so ever better for while pictures.

As to your ? about downloading time. It really shouldn't matter the order, why do you care? If you are interested in seeing the pictures filed in order they were taken go into window explore and open the file storing all the pictures.

If you are using Vista at the top where there is the icon select "details". Then move your mouse to the "names" label and right click and select date taken. You should now see all the files with a column with "date taken." Click the date taken will sort either ascending or descending. You can also help group your pictures by larger date order by creating new folder by date or events to help you order your pictures

If you are using XP the process is similar but you click the tab "view" to select details. Do the same thing afterwards right clicking on the name tab to find "date picture taken"

As Pilot mentioned most photoprocessing programs allow the option to select to sort files by name or date taken that should disply them in the order you like.

Enjoy Alaska

Take your friend DSLR and telephoto. it will get far better pictures the either your S3IS or SD880. Hopefully the telephoto is the 70-300 IS, if so ever better for while pictures.

As to your ? about downloading time. It really shouldn't matter the order, why do you care? If you are interested in seeing the pictures filed in order they were taken go into window explore and open the file storing all the pictures.

If you are using Vista at the top where there is the icon select "details". Then move your mouse to the "names" label and right click and select date taken. You should now see all the files with a column with "date taken." Click the date taken will sort either ascending or descending. You can also help group your pictures by larger date order by creating new folder by date or events to help you order your pictures

If you are using XP the process is similar but you click the tab "view" to select details. Do the same thing afterwards right clicking on the name tab to find "date picture taken"

As Pilot mentioned most photoprocessing programs allow the option to select to sort files by name or date taken that should disply them in the order you like.

Enjoy Alaska

Thanks for the response Chipmaster. I shall look in to the tab "view" folder and see if that does the trick.

I do a daily download from my camera cards to my laptop. This ensures that I have my pictures sorted by date and also serves as a backup. I also back up all my stuff on a daily basis to a portable hard drive.

DON

Thank you.

On your Canon SD880IS (I have an SD800 and remembered this :eek:), take a look on page 135 of the manual. It describes how to change the folder format to create a new forlder every day and start saving any new images to it. It is in the setup menu (little wrench and hammer) under "Create Folder":

p804972228-5.jpg

It should be the same or similar for the S3IS.

Sorry this took so long to answer, I've been a bit swamped and missed it.

Dave

Edited by pierces

On your Canon SD880IS (I have an SD800 and remembered this :eek:), take a look on page 135 of the manual. It describes how to change the folder format to create a new forlder every day and start saving any new images to it. It is in the setup menu (little wrench and hammer) under "Create Folder":

Dave

This is a great idea. I have to see if my Nikons can do it.

If you do it and travel several time zones away from your home base, make sure that you change the date and time in the camera so that the pictures end up in the correct folder.

This is also useful if you travel w several cameras and you need to keep your photos synched.

DON

p804972228-5.jpg

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I found it and have set it so hopefully, it works!;)

• 5 years later...

Thank you.

Does anyone know how I can download a group picture taken at our "meet & greet"?