Capri From Naples.. May 2015

Debzee

My husband & I will be flying to Rome & staying a few days then boarding our cruise ship on May 21, 2015 ( Allure Of The Seas-Western Mediterannian). Our first port stop is Naples; however, we are possibly thinking of going to Capri for the day. We are thinking of a tour & using the hydrofoil boat but it's quite expensive. Would it be wise to board the hydrofoil on our own then once in Capri, tour around on our own?? Are there stabilizers on the boat? Has anyone recently purchased tickets for the boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert & Debra

My husband & I will be flying to Rome & staying a few days then boarding our cruise ship on May 21, 2015 ( Allure Of The Seas-Western Mediterannian). Our first port stop is Naples; however, we are possibly thinking of going to Capri for the day. We are thinking of a tour & using the hydrofoil boat but it's quite expensive. Would it be wise to board the hydrofoil on our own then once in Capri, tour around on our own?? Are there stabilizers on the boat? Has anyone recently purchased tickets for the boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert & Debra

Read some of the posts on this board re Capri. You poste re Naples..it would be best for you to do some reading here and on Trip Advisor to get a feel for where you are going. A little homework can go a long way for a cruise/trip to Euope.

Lots of people go over to Capri on their own every day, I don't see a need for a tour or a guide personally.

I don't know about stabilizers, these are smaller boats and they can bounce around a bit. It doesn't bother me but one of my cousins was a little green.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Robert & Debra

We did it a few weeks ago. Very easy. Tips we picked up here helped. We got the catamaran, about 10min walk from where the ship docked ( NCL Spirit), I think it was 9.30am and cost about 20 Euro each way and takes just under an hour. As you can only buy single tickets, best buy for the return Journey as soon as you arrive in Capri. Then straight to the Finicular to avoid the rush. Then just chill and enjoy. Not all the resturants are mega expensive, but a good few are. Ditto shops.

Plenty of boat trips from the harbour, if your still in need of even more sea air. If you leave enough time when you get back to Naples, a walk around the town is.............interesting

We took the hydrofoil also... unfortunately the weather was terrible when we were there. The sea was very rough and many many people were sick. The weather on Capri was horrible...40 mph wind and pouring rain.. we were there in the last week of April.

• 3 weeks later...

Our hydrofoil trip was great in April. Once we disembarked we took a trip on a small wooden boat that went all around the island. We booked this online prior to the trip with Whales by Wendy. The views were incredible. We were dropped off near a bus stop so we could head to Anacapri. Later we went on the funicular. It was an incredible day, using information that we'd picked up on cruise critic and trip advisor.

The trip is 20 Euros per person one way. Buy your return ticket once you get to Capri. If you want to see the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra), take the bus over and walk down the stairs to the Blue Grotto, it will be quicker and cheaper than taking the tour. Take the bus up to Anacapri and take the chairlift up to Mount Solar. Walk back from Anacapri to the marina using the Phoenician Steps. Eat in Anacapri as it is much cheaper than Capri. Walk around the small town in Anacapri, not just where the chairlift is. The local bus is only 1.80 per person to get around. Very easy DIY island to do yourself. The first time we took the cruise tour, it was VERY EXPENSIVE and you really do not get to see the island. We were amazed at how much we missed when we returned on our own. If it is raining, take the train to Sorrento and skip Capri. We did this on our last cruise and were so glad we did. It rained in Capri but not in Sorrento. This is a very pretty town, you can check out my blog on Sorrento with pictures at

winenchocolate dot com

My blog posts just started on my two week trip to Italy. Evidently my write up on Capri will be posted as we spent two nights there this time. Capri is one of my favorite islands.