La Goulette Tunisia

Wotan758

We went to La Goulette last summer while on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

A group of us from Cruise Critic booked a private tour and really enjoyed it.

I am going to be on the Noordam in July and we are supposed to stop in La Goulette. I would like to book a private tour. Could you please let me know who you booked the tour through and where you visitied on the tour?

Thanks,

Robin

We were with Dale on the trip to Tunis and it was fab. Thoroughly recommend them.

I'm sure Dale can tell you who it was with.

Hi Dale,

How are you and your daughter?and flat pack Sam?

Happy 2012 and happy Cruising

Susan

Chives:

We used Ben Jebara M.Tahar and I highly recommend him. He is very knowledgeable and flexible to accomodate your interests. He also was very responsive during our planning process.

His website is http://www.expertraveltunisia.webs.com and you can reach him at either travelexpertunisia@gmail.com or mtb.trvlconsulting@gmail.com.

Note: Since he is a private guide, he can not pick you up in the port area, but his assistant was waiting for us outside the port gates.

Dale,

Could tell me about what it cost per person for your tour in Tunisia? We are stopping there for one day on our cruise and with a family of 5 cost is a factor- if we can do a private tour or an on our own tour (I'd prefer a private). Thanks!

Dale,

Could tell me about what it cost per person for your tour in Tunisia? We are stopping there for one day on our cruise and with a family of 5 cost is a factor- if we can do a private tour or an on our own tour (I'd prefer a private). Thanks!

His prices were extremely reasonable compared to the ship, but did require a minimum of 6 people.

Minimum 6 persons : 70 USD or equivalent in Euros.

From 08 to 10 persons: 60 USD " "" " "

From 1O to 15 persons : 55 USD " "" " "

A complementary seat for the tour leader if the group is over 16 participants.

We put together a group of 14 from our roll call.

• 1 year later...

Just returned from visiting La Goulette last week on the MSC Preziosa. Hired Ben Jebara M.Tahar http://www.expertraveltunisia.webs.com/, for our party of six. His assistant met us just outside the gate, the rest described as previous. Ben is knowledgeable, fluent and is committed to making your visit a quality experience. We arrived in Carthage before the tour buses and had a little private time there before it got loud. I recommend him without reservation.

We are booked on the MSC Preziosa departing September 27th, 2013 from Barcelona. I have serious concerns about Tunisia as a port.

Is there something in particular that concerns you? I've been to Tunisia twice on cruises (in 2012 and 2011) and have liked it so much that I'm going for two weeks in October (mainly to visit some of the Roman sites there). If I can set your mind at ease about anything, feel free to ask.

We are booked on the MSC Preziosa departing September 27th, 2013 from Barcelona. I have serious concerns about Tunisia as a port.

If you are concerned, book a ship excursion. We did our first ship excursion last year when we were on the MSC Splendida to Tunisia. It turned out to be a fine excursion and didn't cost that much. I believe it was something like $70pp. Some people stayed on the ship but that's a shame when you have a chance to visit a country that you may not come back to.

• 7 months later...

We booked Ben Jebara M.Tahar after reading about him on CC. I emailed him 11 months before our arrival and confirmed a private tour in a micro bus which fits from 9 to 12 seats. Ben was prompt to reply and professional via email. We were SO Excited to tour with Ben in Tunisia.

A few months out I noticed someone else on CC mentioned they were booking Ben for the same day. I IMMEDIATELY emailed him to ask if he was OUR private guide or this other groups'. He assured me he was OUR private guide and that he was hiring a different guide for the other group (travel agents).

We arrived in port and after a long walk to where his driver was waiting (he didnt speak English and Ben was not there) - we were 5 older women and were not sure IF we should get in the van (no micro bus) with this strange man or not. We finally did after he called Ben on a cell phone and Ben assured us it was safe. The van was not 12 seats as promised. It was a regular van and smelled of smoke. It was older and not at all what we expected for $400 US. Another comment about safety from Ben.

** It's a pity that nobody in your van felt comfortable,I can understand your fear since you're in a different country.But I know that you where in good hands and safe beyond the lack of communication with the driver.

We drove away from the ship and stopped in town to pick Ben up. He joined us in our van with water for everyone - he said it was the gift of life and we thought all was going to be great.

We arrived in Carthage and that is where we realized Ben was handling two groups - the other group was much younger and could move at a quicker pace than us (the reason why we booked a private guide and told him in advance of our physical limitations). There was a second guide and they took turns telling us about what we were seeing in Carthage. Ben was very knowlegeable but knowledge doesnt make up for not getting the tour I reserved a year before. Why didnt we just do our own trip? Probably Ben was hoping for business from the travel agents in the other group.

At some point they lost my group and the two guides went ahead with the travel agent group. We did find them before we went into a museum there.

When we left Carthage for the American War Cemetary, Ben was NOT in our vehicle and never came back in our vehicle for the entire duration of our PRIVATE TOUR. I pulled him aside and said we felt left out with no guide in a van with a driver who didnt speak English. Nothing changed.

The American War Cemetary was closed and we looked through a fence and saw nothing. Why didnt Ben know this was closed? Good question.

We stopped to see the ancient aqueduct and a mosque from a distance and went to Sidi Bou Saïd. one of my friends wanted to sit down so Ben took her to the coffee shop we would meet at after we walked around town on our own. We walked around and then returned to the coffee shop for a tea Ben bought us - very tasty. Here the two groups were mixed and there was only the one guide - Ben.

We stopped at a cemetary for babies and Ben explained the history to us all - this was not part of our tour but probably part of the other groups tour. It was interesting.

Next we headed to the medina. En route I noticed we passed Gammarth Beach (where we were promised a camel ride but with Ben in the other van we had nobody to tell). We were now doing the other groups itinerary and NOT OURS that we booked a year prior. The van dropped us off a few blocks away and Ben kept saying we are almost there as we walked to the medina. He knew in advance one in my group couldnt make the walk but didnt think to have the van drop her at the door. By the time she got there she had to sit in a coffee shop.

Ben led 3 of us into the medina and kept telling us not to shop now but on the way out. At some point we looked around and Ben was gone. Where? He went to look for his other group and never told us he was leaving us. We found out way out and waited more than an hour for him to show up.

This is what he wrote me about this incident

** I usually give my clients a free time for shopping,I give them the directions and show them the meeting time

I also tell them that I'll be around if needed.

He told us to walk back to where we were dropped off and I asked him to have the van pick us up - everyone was exhausted from standing around for an hour. He complied. here is his comment.

** I was taking in consideration that you where much older and slower than the other party,so I was walking in front of you then stop and wait for you,I do recognize the walking challenges,it's not my first experience with persons who have a walking problem especially they can't figure out the distance. If you where in a regular tour,the bus will remain at the parking and never come to pick you up as I did when I noticed that one of the ladies was tired.

I asked about the 2 synagogues he promised to show us and the camel ride. He told the driver to take us to a synagogue and then to the beach for the camel ride. He never came with us and we weren't sure if we would make it back to the ship on time. We stopped at the synagogue and then it started to rain when we found the camel location. We rode the camels in the rain on the beach.

One of my friends legs came too close to a wood pole and she was bleeding the entire camel ride. She had to visit the infirmary on the ship when we got back. Did Ben know this? No. He was nowhere to be found. I'm sure he was with his other group.

I emailed him about my disappointment when I got home. he replied that the camel ride was NOT included even though his email to me said

Yes you'll have the opportunity to experience a camel ride in the resort of Gammarth

Each of his comments to my questions was vague and non committal. He may have been a good guide 25-30 years ago. I personally could NEVER recommend Ben as a private guide. he just doesnt understand people.

Good morning dear Deb,

Thank you for your e-mail,my apology for the slight delay.

Yes your small party of 5 persons is still confirmed for the day tour planned for Sunday,Marsh the 9th 2014.

Actually I had a request from another group of 6 persons,also from 2 persons ( Travel Agents ).boarding the N.C.L Jade.

I informed both of them that I have already a confirmed booking of 5 persons ( your party ) and mentionned to them that as you have among the group a old person with some walking difficulties and you wish to be on your own.

So the alternative option if the wish to confirm the day tour is that my colleague Radhi who's a professional Tour Guide with over 35 years of experience will assist me and I'll allocate 2 different approriate vehicles.

Let's keep in touch,I will keep you up dated if the obove persons ( the 6 persons & the 2 travel Agents ) will confirm.

Looking forward to hearing from you,I wish you a nice day.

Ben

I can not recommend Ben and he was one of the two worst guides we had in our almost 28 days in Europe

If you are concerned, book a ship excursion. We did our first ship excursion last year when we were on the MSC Splendida to Tunisia. It turned out to be a fine excursion and didn't cost that much. I believe it was something like $70pp. Some people stayed on the ship but that's a shame when you have a chance to visit a country that you may not come back to.

Please could you tell me about your trip. Which one did you do? Was it all in English or more than one language? Any recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Wil be on the Noordam in June and will stop in La Goulette. Thinking about to book a private tour, but it requires min 6 people. There are four in our group, need a least two to join.

Anyone?

Thanks

CJ

Wil be on the Noordam in June and will stop in La Goulette. Thinking about to book a private tour, but it requires min 6 people. There are four in our group, need a least two to join.

Anyone?

Thanks

CJ

Go to the Roll Call section of the CC forums and locate your sailing. Post what you did here as well as there. There is a good chance that two more people will be interested and willing to join your private tour group. Have fun!