Roatan with 3 Large Ships - How Crowded?

JT1962

I just saw that there will be 3 ships in Roatan the day we are there - 2 Carnival Ships and one Royal Caribbean for a total of 11,000+ passengers. We were wanting to try Little French Key or Maya Key, but are concerned about crowds based on other reviews here. How crowded will they be? How crowded will Mahogany Bay be if we just stay there? We don't really care about an island tour, zip lining or seeing monkeys. Any other options for snorkeling where that may not be packed?

I just saw that there will be 3 ships in Roatan the day we are there - 2 Carnival Ships and one Royal Caribbean for a total of 11,000+ passengers. We were wanting to try Little French Key or Maya Key, but are concerned about crowds based on other reviews here. How crowded will they be? How crowded will Mahogany Bay be if we just stay there? We don't really care about an island tour, zip lining or seeing monkeys. Any other options for snorkeling where that may not be packed?

Free Radical is a grand day out. The staff is spot on, the food is wonderful and the snorkeling is good.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/

Fantasy Island offers day passes but one need to swim across a deep channel to get to Coco View's front yard.

Fantasy-Island-Air.jpg

This is Fantasy Island..the reef at the very bottom edge of the pic is Cocoview. The deep blue in the middle is channel.

cocoview_1.png

This is CocoView's "Front Yard". Fanrtasy island is to the left of the pic.

Here is the rub, Fantasy Island is one of the original all inclusives on the island..it has a less than stellar reputation and the complaints about food go for to days. BUT if you want snorkeling and quiet.. it may well suit.

Mahogany Bay will be crowded. Snorkeling is not that good there anyway. 3 ship excursions to Maya Key will make that crowded too. LFK might be less crowded unless the ship excursions have shifted back to there instead of BFK. For certain West Bay will be crowded regardless of the resort or excursion.

Take Guest's suggestion on Free Radical and enjoy yourself.

We loved Little French Key, and I think they limit the number of guests. Email them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious as to how may ships were in Roatan on the day(s) you went and how the crowds were at the resort.

They do limit it - to 400 guests :eek: From reviews I have read here it is not a fun time when that many guests are at the resort - long lines to get on the boats to / from the island, trouble finding beach chairs, kayaks, etc., long lines / slow service for food and drinks. Some people may have no issues with that, but I don't consider that a relaxing day.

I have heard nothing but bad about the food service at Little French Key, though people say it is good..if and when it arrives. I think I read a review were they didn't have enough to feed there guests. That is just poor planning.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I have heard nothing but bad about the food service at Little French Key, though people say it is good..if and when it arrives. I think I read a review where they didn't have enough to feed their guests. That is just poor planning.

Edit- I need to learn how to edit from my phone- or just pay more attention from the start.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I am curious as to how may ships were in Roatan on the day(s) you went and how the crowds were at the resort.

They do limit it - to 400 guests :eek: From reviews I have read here it is not a fun time when that many guests are at the resort - long lines to get on the boats to / from the island, trouble finding beach chairs, kayaks, etc., long lines / slow service for food and drinks. Some people may have no issues with that, but I don't consider that a relaxing day.

There was only us folks on the X Equinox when we were there. I don't remember how many guests were there that day but it certainly wasn't 400. The food was excellent, though I can't say what it would be like if they were filled to capacity. All I know is that it was a very relaxing and enjoyable day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk