Melbourne transport to central city

nacsivmw

I have read several CC threads and looked at other sources to learn about the myki card needed for transport around Melbourne. We will be arriving at the port in mid-February with HA, planned arrival at 8, ship leaving at 6. We are looking at getting to the city for the free walking tour that starts near the Victoria State Library. Even after reading the info, I still have some questions. It sounds as if you can get a $14 visitor myki pass, but only $8 of that is for transport. We are arriving on a weekend, so I'm wondering if we can get the card for $6 and then load it for travel that day. How much we would need to put on the card for one day's travel needs? I've seen you can load as little as $5, but would that be enough to get us around the city, especially since there is a free tram in the central city. Also what about the lines some folks talk about in trying to get the card at the port? How long have other folks waited? If we arrive at the port at 8 and need to purchase our card, will we have enough time to get to the library by 1030? Thanks for any information regarding this plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

We are arriving at MEL at 21:45 and need to get to our apartment on Inkerman St. in St Kilda. The Sky Bus to St Kilda looks like it stops at 19:00. I am thinking of taking Sky Bus, or something, to CBD (which station?) and then the tram to St Kilda. There seems to be a tram stop (#34) near our apartment.

I'd appreciate any help or insights. We are traveling with one rollerboard each, so luggage isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Someone who knows Melbourne better than I do might have better info - but I've just looked up the Public Transport Victoria Site for you and it says to catch either the 3/3a Malvern or 67 Carnegie tram from Stop 13 (Federation Square/Swanston St) - which means you'd catch your bus to Flinders St Station - and either of those will take you to Stop 34 near Inkerman St.

The link when I try to copy/paste comes out insanely long, but have a look at the Journey Planner here - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/journey Just put in Flinders St Station and Inkerman St, St Kilda and it should pop up with the information you're after. Hope it helps :)

Edited by LokiPoki
Better info

Someone who knows Melbourne better than I do might have better info - but I've just looked up the Public Transport Victoria Site for you and it says to catch either the 3/3a Malvern or 67 Carnegie tram from Stop 13 (Federation Square/Swanston St) - which means you'd catch your bus to Flinders St Station - and either of those will take you to Stop 34 near Inkerman St.

The link when I try to copy/paste comes out insanely long, but have a look at the Journey Planner here - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/journey Just put in Flinders St Station and Inkerman St, St Kilda and it should pop up with the information you're after. Hope it helps :)

Thanks so much.

We are arriving at MEL at 21:45 and need to get to our apartment on Inkerman St. in St Kilda. The Sky Bus to St Kilda looks like it stops at 19:00. I am thinking of taking Sky Bus, or something, to CBD (which station?) and then the tram to St Kilda. There seems to be a tram stop (#34) near our apartment.

I'd appreciate any help or insights. We are traveling with one rollerboard each, so luggage isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Cathy

Literacy Lady,

The Skybus from Melbourne Airport travels to Southern Cross Railway Station. Inkerman Street is a rather long Street. It might be helpful to tell us where your apartment is on Inkerman Street. By the time you arrive at Southern Cross Station, it may be easier to go by taxi to your apartment at that time of day.

Regards,

Leigh

Literacy Lady,

Further to my previous post, depending on how many are in your party, it may be cheaper and easier to take a taxi from the airport to your apartment. The cost of a taxi to Inkerman Street from the airport would be about $71, If you travel to Southern Cross Station on the Skybus and then a taxi to Inkerman Street, the approximate cost would be $18 per person for Skybus (current price) and $18-$21 for the taxi.

Leigh

Literacy Lady,

Further to my previous post, depending on how many are in your party, it may be cheaper and easier to take a taxi from the airport to your apartment. The cost of a taxi to Inkerman Street from the airport would be about $71, If you travel to Southern Cross Station on the Skybus and then a taxi to Inkerman Street, the approximate cost would be $18 per person for Skybus (current price) and $18-$21 for the taxi.

Leigh

Thanks. We are at Tram stop #34 which is at Intersection of Inkerman and st Kilda Blvd, I believe,

Literacy Lady,

Leigh

Normally three or four people the taxi works out less (or very little more) than mass transit options, in my experience. And that seems to be the case in most parts of Australia

Literacy Lady,

To travel to your apartment by Sky bus and public transport, you would need to catch a train from Southern Cross Station to Flinders Street Station. Then catch a tram (either of the ones LokiPoki mentioned above) up St Kilda Road to Inkerman Street. You don't say whether you are travelling from overseas or elsewhere in Australia. If you have to go through customs etc, it will be quite late by the time you arrive at your apartment. If it was me, I would be catching a taxi to your apartment from. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Leigh

Literacy Lady,

To travel to your apartment by Sky bus and public transport, you would need to catch a train from Southern Cross Station to Flinders Street Station. Then catch a tram (either of the ones LokiPoki mentioned above) up St Kilda Road to Inkerman Street. You don't say whether you are travelling from overseas or elsewhere in Australia. If you have to go through customs etc, it will be quite late by the time you arrive at your apartment. If it was me, I would be catching a taxi to your apartment from. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Leigh

Thanks. We are flying from Adelaide, so we won't have to do Customs. If our plane is delayed, we probably will just take a taxi. I will have a Myki from a previous visit, so we are prepared for the trams. I appreciate the good advice from all, and now I have options depending on how late it is when we arrive.

• 4 weeks later...
I have read several CC threads and looked at other sources to learn about the myki card needed for transport around Melbourne. We will be arriving at the port in mid-February with HA, planned arrival at 8, ship leaving at 6. We are looking at getting to the city for the free walking tour that starts near the Victoria State Library. Even after reading the info, I still have some questions. It sounds as if you can get a $14 visitor myki pass, but only $8 of that is for transport. We are arriving on a weekend, so I'm wondering if we can get the card for $6 and then load it for travel that day. How much we would need to put on the card for one day's travel needs? I've seen you can load as little as $5, but would that be enough to get us around the city, especially since there is a free tram in the central city. Also what about the lines some folks talk about in trying to get the card at the port? How long have other folks waited? If we arrive at the port at 8 and need to purchase our card, will we have enough time to get to the library by 1030? Thanks for any information regarding this plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you can obtain the Myki Explorer pack for $15 dollars which will give you $9 myki credit for 1 day unlimited travel

now i think your best option will be is just to buy a myki for $6 dollars and top it up with $10 of credit which will be basicly the same as the Myki explorer however you keep your myki if you are lucky enough to come back to this great city in Australia.

you are talking mid feb and this maybe a bit late however feb 18-19 the tram route to Station Pier will be effected by White Night Melbourne if arrive around that weekend.... and white night kicks of around 16.30pm

The tram you will catch both ways will be the 109 tram to Box hill this will take you right into bourke street and you can get off near swanston street after bourke street mall.

and return will be the 109 port melbourne tram and you will need to catch this from La Trobe street if you tend to travel after 16:30 if you plan to return earlier then bourke street will be the best place to catch 109 tram back

Generally the trams run approx 10 minutes apart so if ya miss the 1st one you will not have to wait long for the next

Enjoy ya stay in Melbourne