Mahogany Bay Flying Chairs vs walking

Hawaiifrank

After almost 20 cruises, I have never been to Roatan. Amazing, but true. So, for my first trip I believe we'll just stay there at MBCC. I know there are much better beaches and I really like the sound of LFK, but this started out as a budget cruise in between our last one and the one in Feb, a b2b on Oasis OTS. I don't want to spend more on our excursions than the entire cost of the cruise. We are Carnival Freedom in December. The stop is from 9 to 7.

How far is it to the beach at Mahogany Bay if we take the walkway? Twenty four bucks isn't a big deal for the chair ride, but we won't be riding it all day. Once over for a few hours then back to the ship for a late lunch by 2 or so. Is the ride itself worth the price over and back?

My wife will be using a wheelchair for longer walks and around the ship when necessary. She has no difficulty walking a short distance, but it is painful to walk more than a couple of blocks. I would push the chair if we take the path and she can walk once on the beach. If we took the flying chairs, she would leave the wheelchair on the ship.

Is there any fee for the beach besides the fee to ride the flying chairs? I see that Carnival has several beach "excursions"(I use the word losely) that include various combinations of the chair ride, the "clamshell" shade, snorkle equipment and a kayak for costs between $40 and $80. I don't want any of that. A chair under a tree is all we need. Doesn't even to be actually on the beach, back in the trees is OK.

I've looked at the MBCC website, Carnival's excursions site and I've searched CC for Roatan and Mahagany Bay. I haven't found the information I'm asking about. Thanks for any help with my questions

I didn't go to the actual beach but our snorkeling catamaran was near the beach and we all just walked to it. The walk took less than 10 minutes. Did not seem to be any reason to take the chairs!

I'd suggest your wife use a wheelchair or a walker with wheels and rest seat. The route out of the Dufry shop is relatively steep but not insurmountable. The shopping area remains steep until about the chairs, then it's a slight downhill to the beach. Paved all along the beach from the gate/building to the restaurant bars to the last cabana. You can step off at any point to the sand and find loungers.

I have seen older cruisers in non-motorized wheelchairs make it up to the shopping area from the pier on their own, but it took some doing.

I'd suggest your wife use a wheelchair or a walker with wheels and rest seat. The route out of the Dufry shop is relatively steep but not insurmountable. The shopping area remains steep until about the chairs, then it's a slight downhill to the beach. Paved all along the beach from the gate/building to the restaurant bars to the last cabana. You can step off at any point to the sand and find loungers.

I have seen older cruisers in non-motorized wheelchairs make it up to the shopping area from the pier on their own, but it took some doing.

TYVM. Having never been to Roatan, I couldn't tell what the path was like from the pictures on MBCC's website. Almost every picture of the chairs shows the ship in the background across the bay. I knew there was a path but had no idea if it was a few hundred feet or most of a mile. :eek: On the map it looks to be across the bay and a looong way around to the other side.

She can walk in case of steps or steep inclines. The hard part is getting her to pull the trigger on getting one. I think she will feel self-conscious and is resistant to using it around others. Several times I've suggested we look at the walkers at Costco and we "...don't have time right now." :confused:

On our February Oasis b2b my brother, with PAD, plans to rent a scooter for ports and maybe for longer walks on the ship. It must be 1/4 mile from the aft dining room to the theater up forward. Due to vision problems, a scooter is not an option for my wife. She has never been able to drive a car either.

A wheelchair might be best for her because we can keep moving while she rests. A walker with a seat would let her sit down whenever she wants, but we'd never get anywhere because she has to rest her back every hundred yards or so. We can't pass a bench or a low wall without stopping to sit and let the pain subside when we're walking in port these days.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

There is no charge to use the beach or for the chairs! :)

LuLu

Thank you. Not a problem if there was a nominal charge, but it's nice to know for comparison to other options.

I could only find pricing info about the "excursions" Carnival offered and a rental list with the prices cut off. I hate places that don't list their prices on their website. In this case, it's probably because the price changes depending on how many ships are in and which cruise lines. I understand that Carnival built MBCC, but does allow other lines to dock any time there is space not needed by Carnival ships.

Carnival built the pier and shopping area, the beach and restaurant's were once known as Coral Cay a pay to enter facility. The walk over to the beach area I would say is close to 1/2 mile near the shady area and main restaurant.:)

• 1 month later...

I guarantee that your wife will need some type of wheelchair assistance. My Mom was able to walk on the ship most of the time but we took her wheelchair on her last few cruises and it was definitely needed at MB. She was thrilled to have it because she could never have gone over to the beach without it. First off, it is a good hike the length of the pier then you must go through part of the shopping village before you even get to the flying chairs. There are great chaise lounge chairs under palm trees that are free and comfortable.