Beginner Snorkling - Roatan or Cozumel?

turboteacher

HELP! We will be sailing on the Carnival Freedom March 19, 2016 and would like to do some "beginner" snorkling with our soon-to-be 10 year old. We do not have our own gear so we would have to rent. Which port should we plan to do this - Cozumel or Roatan, Mahogany Bay? :confused: We would like to see AS much sea life as possible (not going to see Shark Alley though...my daughter is afraid of them :( ). What will we likely see this time of year? And does anyone have a "preferred" operator/area that they like to use/frequent? We will probably not use Carnival's excursion for this trip as we likely wouldn't be out the WHOLE day...like we will in Belize.

Thanks so much, to anyone that can provide any insight. :)

I posted a reply on the Cozumel Board.

In Roatan, you can snorkel off the West Bay beaches, which would be good for a younger beginning snorkeler. Bananarama Dive Resort has snorkel gear for rent, if I recall correctly. The snorkeling at Mahogany Bay isn't that good, but the water is shallow and there's equipment for rent. You can also book a ship excursion on a catamaran, but these can get to be party boats and are very crowded.

This thread has heaps of info about snorkeling West Bay. The far end past Infinity resort is boat free and the reef comes near to the shore line. There are several people along the beach renting snorkle gear but personally I would not use a stranger's toothbrush you can bet I would not rent a snorkle in a third world country or anywhere else for that matter.

Thank you so much Crewsweeper and Guest2000 for your input. I think we might be going with the West Bay for snorkling :) After reading the extensive post, Guest2000 you won us over. I wonder if we should spring for a guide, since we will have my daughter with us. My husband is a pretty savy snorkler, and I am a good swimmer (don't love snorkling - get panicy with my face in the water, and being able to breathe...it's weird). We will have to rent for my daughter, and fins for my hubs. I will most likely just watch or spell off with my hubby, if I feel inclined to give it a go.

I'll just throw in my .02. Beginner snorkeling is excellent in roatan. we were there over spring break and, while we are experienced snorkelers, there are numerous places for the beginner. we hired a guide through Victor Bodden and it was an amazing day. you can do one of the best of roatan tours and do only what you want for as long as you want. I highly recommend it! as for gear, I have purchased from snorkelmart.com and am entirely satisfied. their gear isn't all the most expensive so you can find something that suits you. as for using a snorkel for breathing, you might consider just using a mask and holding your breath for however long you want. I recommend a snorkel vest so you can just float along on the surface if you like. you might be surprised how easy it becomes to comfortably use a mask without having to worry about breathing constantly. give it a try!

Thank you so much Crewsweeper and Guest2000 for your input. I think we might be going with the West Bay for snorkling :) After reading the extensive post, Guest2000 you won us over. I wonder if we should spring for a guide, since we will have my daughter with us. My husband is a pretty savy snorkler, and I am a good swimmer (don't love snorkling - get panicy with my face in the water, and being able to breathe...it's weird). We will have to rent for my daughter, and fins for my hubs. I will most likely just watch or spell off with my hubby, if I feel inclined to give it a go.

Good deal!!

Enjoy the island!