At Cruise Terminal?

Schnauzers4us

My question is about car rental and logistics.

We will have extended time in Florida pre and post cruise and want to visit long-time friends on each end. We are flying into Miami, going to Boca for a few days, then to Fort Lauderdale to the cruise. After the cruise we are leaving Fort Lauderdale, traveling up the east coast for five days and back to Miami to return home.

Should we lease the car for the entire time - Ap.5-Ap.23rd, when we would need to park the car in or around the terminal. I have not been able to get very factual information about parking there. I read somewhere that parking while on the cruise was free; another site gave a daily price.

Or should we lease the car from Ap.5 - Ap.7, dropping it off at the Ft.Lauderdale airport; and leasing another on Ap.18th in Ft. Lauderdale and returning it to Miami on the 23rd.

The first scenario, with the longer lease is about $200. less than the second option of two short term leases...not accounting for parking.

Has anyone had to deal with this type of thing - multiple car leases in a short time and parking?

Any advice is welcome.

Unless you are staying at a hotel before the cruise that offers cruise and park(free) perk there is no free parking to cruise. You will be better off to rent twice, before and after the cruise. Do some research to find the best deals for renting a car. I will be renting from Alamo before my cruise. Got a deal ($25 a day) for a full size. Good Luck!

Parking at any cruise port is never free. You can get a price for the parking garage at the Port's website (use google or yahoo to look this up). If you park at a lot near the terminal, it may cost less. Secondly, I, personally, would not want to pay for a rental car to just sit in a parking garage for any length of time. You have to consider potential damage to the car, either by accident or vandalism. I'm sure you wouldn't want to come back to that. :(

People rent cars for mere hours, or days or weeks. The choice is yours on how to spend your money, and how much time it might save you.