Large Groups on Silversea

Seafairer

We've had several trips ruined by other very large groups taking over hotels and on one occaision a cruise. If we were aware of large groups being likely we would not proceed with a booking.

As a result we routinely enquire of both hotels for longer planned stays and SS when making bookings whether there are currently existing or contemplated or likely to be any large meetings or group bookings during the dates we plan. That is about the most you can do. If there is evasiveness we do not proceed. If we plan to prceed with a booking then we then email back stating what they have said is their current situation at that date. If it were to transpire that the information provided was known or should have been known to be wrong and that we had then proceeded and there was a large group that adversely effected our enjoyment that had booked before we were given the reassurances - I'd energetically pursue either the hotel or the cruise line. A previous breach of contract holiday claim we successfully made in the 70's was the largest (at that time) holiday claim ever made to that date and set some contractual breach precedents which are since then routinely cited in UK courts with respect to holiday breach of contract claims.

Expecting hotels or cruise lines to pro-actively inform passengers in advance and presumably offer refunds to those already booked is something I'd like, but do not expect to realistically see until there is a successful claim by a customer taking a cruise line or hotel to court for not producing what they promised on the tin with respect to ambience etc. A very tough case to win.

Therefore cruise lines and hotels will continue to have their cake and eat it which I think they see as a matter of survival more than than they value the odd loyalty defection. What would change things gradually is if more people using the ambience focussed smaller cruise lines started asking, and then writing back stating the importance attatched to the assurances received .... and then pursuing breaches in the way I described - is the only way that companies will be forced to reconsider the costs to themselves.

I do hope that some of the rather nasty comments about others in the thread were misplaced humour rather than genuine nastiness. I think I'm more concerned with mixing with loud nasty people who wish to impose their needs loudly over others than people who happen to be in a group. :)

• 1 year later...

If anyone is in doubt as to the impact of a large corporate group on a relatively small ship may I suggest that you read my review of our "luxury" cruise on board Silver Spirit in September 2013 when 260 of our fellow passengers were young latin american sales agents and their partners on an all expenses paid freebie. As a result of our experience and the attitude

of both the on board guest relations manager and Silversea's customer service departments in Fort Lauderdale and London, we will never use this cruise line again.

I'd like to move this thread back to my original question. Does it bother you to be on a Silversea cruise that has one or more groups? Or not? Does the potential presence of groups make any difference in the way you now book?

As always traveling in a group of between 20 and as many as 100 whether on Regent or Silversea; I say:

Live with it :)

I absolutely love traveling with a group of friends. New friends always welcome, too.

Of course, we have had our share of experiences with groups that actually take over venues; just saying not all groups are the same.

Edited by Marq