Large Groups on Silversea

Seafairer

I'd like to know how other passengers feel about large groups (say, 20 or more) that have become more and more prevalent on Silversea. They're usually corporate incentive groups, family groups, or groups put together by individual travel agents. Reduced fares probably come into play when a minimum number is booked.

I feel that groups aren't absorbed well on Silversea's small ships, and their presence in some cases degrades the true luxury experience Silversea offered in the past. With all the ships they now have to fill, Silversea isn't likely to end group programs any time soon. But it's at odds with the image of a small luxury line.

So here's my suggestion: designate one ship just for groups, or designate certain sailings throughout the year as groups-only. Your thoughts?

Edited by Seafairer

Hi All: Our 1st SS cruise was with an "Investment group" on Cloud that took 85 % of the cabins. We had a jolly time posting "false events" for them (e.g. wet t-**** contests, etc.). Those of us that were not part of the group would position ourselves, and clap when the group members showed up to view the festivities.

We had a terrible experience last summer sailing the Mediterranean on the Spirit back-to-back 7 day cruises. Large incentive groups both weeks. 2nd week worse than the first. They seat them at tables for 10-12 then you have to sit through dinner listening to them scream across the table at each other. They travel in a pack so they spread out over all the space they decide to occupy. Some take way to much advantage of the free alcohol. Many act like they don't want to even be there just constantly complaining about the ship and how it doesn't operation like a "Carnival type cruise." It really does impact the usual experience of full paying passengers that specifically choose Silversea. Silversea should find a better way to deal with it than making the rest of us suffer. The problem is probably most prevalent on 7 day cruises to popular places like Alaska and the Mediterranean. We probably will avoid those cruises in the future. Our 16 day Spirit cruise around S America this winter did not seem to attract this type of clientele and was much more pleasant.

We had a terrible experience last summer sailing the Mediterranean on the Spirit back-to-back 7 day cruises. Large incentive groups both weeks. 2nd week worse than the first. They seat them at tables for 10-12 then you have to sit through dinner listening to them scream across the table at each other. They travel in a pack so they spread out over all the space they decide to occupy. Some take way to much advantage of the free alcohol. Many act like they don't want to even be there just constantly complaining about the ship and how it doesn't operation like a "Carnival type cruise." It really does impact the usual experience of full paying passengers that specifically choose Silversea. Silversea should find a better way to deal with it than making the rest of us suffer. The problem is probably most prevalent on 7 day cruises to popular places like Alaska and the Mediterranean. We probably will avoid those cruises in the future. Our 16 day Spirit cruise around S America this winter did not seem to attract this type of clientele and was much more pleasant.

You have mentioned the magic words for a disruptive trip

Summer,Mediterranean,7 Day.

Put groups, children and smokers on the Spirit!

While you're at it...I guess add all the fat people and drinkers. How about those slow moving aged? And now we can do away with 7 day cruises. Who will SS be marketing to?? What an unpleasant thread.

I'd like to move this thread back to my original question. Does it bother you to be on a Silversea cruise that has one or more groups? Or not? Does the potential presence of groups make any difference in the way you now book?

Edited by Seafairer

While you're at it...I guess add all the fat people and drinkers. How about those slow moving aged? And now we can do away with 7 day cruises. Who will SS be marketing to?? What an unpleasant thread.

There's a used car dealers from Jersey charter coming up,perhaps you should book it and let us know how pleasant it was😱

Like it or not, the world is full of "other" people. If you wish to assure yourself that you will be spendng your time with only your "kind" of people, it is probably best that you do it at home where only you control who is allowed in. Otherwise book a wonderful cruise and try to adjust to the presence of the "others" who are also on their own wonderful cruise and just as entitled as you to enjoy themselves.

I sympathize with the situation of unruly guests whether they are young, old, fat, smoking, slow-moving and/or drunk but really SS cannot pre-screen behaviour, can they?

--------------------

Helen

Like it or not, the world is full of "other" people. If you wish to assure yourself that you will be spendng your time with only your "kind" of people, it is probably best that you do it at home where only you control who is allowed in. Otherwise book a wonderful cruise and try to adjust to the presence of the "others" who are also on their own wonderful cruise and just as entitled as you to enjoy themselves.

I sympathize with the situation of unruly guests whether they are young, old, fat, smoking, slow-moving and/or drunk but really SS cannot pre-screen behaviour, can they?

--------------------

Helen

Or you could charter a small ship or private yacht for only your friends. And then you can control what your guests wear for dinner!

--------------------

Helen

they didn't get it..........

I'd like to move this thread back to my original question. Does it bother you to be on a Silversea cruise that has one or more groups? Or not? Does the potential presence of groups make any difference in the way you now book?

Fizzy, I do "get it" and wish that others on this thread were not taking everything so literally. In terms of the original question, if we were blindsided by being on a cruise with one or more medium to large groups we would cease booking Silversea cruises. FAB16 described the typical situations of being on a cruise with groups very well.

Most of us plan our cruises, pay for our cruises and truly want to be onboard the ship. Some Silversea passengers save up for a long time to have a special birthday or anniversary on the ship. On the other hand, Silversea needs to make money and group cruises can be money-makers. IMO, Silversea needs to be up front with passengers -- letting them know as far in advance as possible that the itinerary they are booked are will have group(s). As passengers, we can decide if we wish to cancel our booking. Cruise lines should not keep important information such as this a secret.

Also, IMO, any type of prejudice against adult passengers is not only politically incorrect but is shameful.

Agree, Travelcat, plus it is just plain rude. It is a shame that groups are more prevalent on 7 day cruises. But, there are people relegated to just 7 days due to limited vacation time or what they can afford. They should be aware of what they are getting into and not have to suffer. Money is money, no matter what the length of the cruise.

A group will almost inevitably alter the dynamic of any given cruise and not necessarily in a negative way but I do believe the cruise lines have an obligation to disclose the information well in advance. A large group on a small ship obviously compounds the problem if they expect preferential treatment or wish to monopolise public spaces for their own "private" use. I've cruised with (but not a part of) a group of scientists and because they didnt feel they owned the ship and made a point of including non-group passengers whenever appropriate and we all had a blast AND learned some cool stuff too. The only other group I've come across was on a larger ship (HAL) and the sense of entitlement these people displayed did spoil what should have been a great trip to Alaska.

We also encountered a large group of Poker Players on a HAL cruise, if I remember correctly about 700 of them. It was awful. Many of the venues were closed off for their events and I won't even discuss the dress code. Not that I am a dress code fanatic, but formal night for this group consisted of jeans and flannel shirts. I wrote to HAL after this experience and have not sailed with them again. My point is not that I have anything against any specific group, however, I feel that major venues should not be closed to the other guests, and at least an effort to "blend in" on formal night would be appropriate. I think that the cruiseline should let the group leaders know about the ship's atmosphere before they book the group. I know that the lines will not turn groups away, this is one way that they fill the ships. I can see the impact that it would have on a ship such as the Cloud that only holds a little under 300 guests. I can also say that we have stayed in upscale hotels that had a convention group that was not the typical clientele. Before I cruise, I try to google the date and ship and see if any group listings come up. Of course on any given cruise there are small unobtrusive groups that you do not even realize are on the cruise.

Barbara

It really depends on the group. I think the Sales Incentive type groups are the worse. Many are just there because they win the trip and have no desire to be on a cruise and/or any appreciation for the Silversea experience. Groups with a common interest who pick cruising as their activity to get together are usually fine and often interesting. We had a large group of people traveling together from Australia on our Scandanavian cruise this summer. They had their own group tours and were fun to be around while on board. They were all seasoned travels and enjoyed the Silversea amenities. I agree it is a good idea for Silversea to notify passengers if they have booked a large Sales Incentive group before final payment is due.