New Waterproof Canon or Risk it with Canon DSLR?

wagzz21

I bought a Canon D10 waterproof camera for our first cruise (in 2009). It made it through 3 cruises & a lot of use in between just fine. However, on the last cruise, it was compromised & half of our pics have a huge water bubble spot in the middle of the pics :( So, it's useless for another cruise. I'm tempted to buy a new one because it does do a good job for what it's worth, and it's definitely nice to know water won't hurt it while trucking around 24/7 with it. HOWEVER, 2 things: the D10 is no longer, so far as I'm aware & I'm not sure the equivalent newer model. More importantly, I've been doing photography for the past 3 years now (using a DSLR), and the "quality" pics I got from my D10 are laughable in comparison now. We're going on a cruise at the end of November with my will-be-just-turned 3 year old and 18 month old, and I know I'll want a lot of pics of them. I'm tempted to bring the DSLR just because I know I'll get MUCH better quality. On the other hand, it's huge, bulky, and requires a big carrying case (something that's a pain when you already have 2 toddlers to carry for), and is obviously very subject to water/other damage. Is it worth it? I feel like I'd still need to bring a waterproof camera of some sort for excursions, as we'll be hitting up beaches & sand doesn't mix with my SLR either... Any thoughts? Tips? Ideas for an ALMOST-equivalent quality of pics on a waterproof camera?

I brought my DSLR on my first few cruises, then purchased a D10 and loved the pictures it took both underwater and above. (We loved it so much that we purchased a second one). But I have noticed that over the years, the quality of the pictures seem to decline and don't have that "eye popping" colorful picture it once had.

I purchased an Olympus Tough a few cruises back and I have to say that I really like it a lot. The pictures come out amazing and it has a lot more settings on it than the D10. It also has a "miniature" setting, which is like a tilt shift, which makes for some interesting pictures. Check them out. My last several reviews have been done with this camera and I'm more than pleased with the results to the point that I don't even bother taking my DSLR with me on vacation anymore (for the same reasons you said...too bulky, heavy, I hate carrying all the lens and equipment). Click on some of my review links to see the pictures it takes.

I have been doing the same research and found that Olympus, Pentax, and Nikon have all-weather DSLRs (not point-and-shoot) that are perfect for extremes - dust, cold, wet (not underwater except for the Nikon), etc. There might be others available.

I ruled out the Nikon because there was no image stabilization. Take a look and see what you think. It will let you keep one camera (plus a back-up if you want it) in your bag and get the quality images you want.

For sandy beaches, I leave my DSLR at home for these reasons:

1. my camera is no where weather sealed (not that I would trust it even if the manufacturer says it is).

2. Modern p&s cameras (heck even cell phone cameras) are just fantastic, especially in good light. I imagine that beaches being your destination, you should have plenty of light...at least for any memory of your family you want to keep.

3. I want to have fun in the water too without constantly looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is stealing my DSLR.

Stick with good composition and you will have all the great memories without the hassle of dragging along your DSLR.

Now, nothing says that you can't pack the DSLR and leave it in your room when you go to a beach. I don't know where you are going, but you will have to decide if there is anything worth shooting. For me: Thailand/South Pacific?* Definitely bring. Caribbean? Not so much.

Make sure you come back here and post the good ones!

*I was going to say Alaska, but there isn't much sandy beach in Alaska.

Thanks, all. I think a waterproof DSLR is out of my price range at this point. I'm busy w/ 2 toddlers & a full time job & photography is just on the side... can't justify the cost of another DSLR, especially a fancy one :)

As for destination: it's the Southern Caribbean. I agree... probably NOT DSLR-worthy. BUT..... I'm so spoiled by those pics now that I definitely see the vast difference between it & my D10.

The D10 has shot craps in the water, so it's a done deal, for sure. Also, we did a few color runs with it last fall & it's... um.... "dusty" looking now on the images. OOPS! :eek: (I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't already compromised!)

I checked out just replacing the D10, because I've been relatively pleased, for a P&S with its quality, but the prices are outrageous now that I'm assuming back stock is gone (it's discontinued). The D20 is an "okayyyyyy" price, but with the D30 about to be released on Amazon, I'm wondering if the D20 will drop for a bit and come in under the $200 mark, which is ideally where I'd like to be. Other than a better optical zoom, I don't really honestly see a whole lot of performance changes with these over the D10 (and I don't use the zoom at that high anyway, so I don't care about it). The one thing that bums me out about the newer models is the LACK of connections in all 4 corners for carrying. I have an awesome strap that goes cross-bodied and attaches at opposite corners of my D10. I've LOVED that feature (I also have an attachment w/ a caribiner which is nice for more adventurous stuff like snorkeling and ziplining). I'll miss that feature, as it doesn't appear it's on either the D20 or D30.

I'll check out the Olympus. I've heard good things. But, I'm such a Canon junky..... it's hard to change brands! :)

Thanks, all. I think a waterproof DSLR is out of my price range at this point. I'm busy w/ 2 toddlers & a full time job & photography is just on the side... can't justify the cost of another DSLR, especially a fancy one :)

As for destination: it's the Southern Caribbean. I agree... probably NOT DSLR-worthy. BUT..... I'm so spoiled by those pics now that I definitely see the vast difference between it & my D10.

The D10 has shot craps in the water, so it's a done deal, for sure. Also, we did a few color runs with it last fall & it's... um.... "dusty" looking now on the images. OOPS! :eek: (I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't already compromised!)

I checked out just replacing the D10, because I've been relatively pleased, for a P&S with its quality, but the prices are outrageous now that I'm assuming back stock is gone (it's discontinued). The D20 is an "okayyyyyy" price, but with the D30 about to be released on Amazon, I'm wondering if the D20 will drop for a bit and come in under the $200 mark, which is ideally where I'd like to be. Other than a better optical zoom, I don't really honestly see a whole lot of performance changes with these over the D10 (and I don't use the zoom at that high anyway, so I don't care about it). The one thing that bums me out about the newer models is the LACK of connections in all 4 corners for carrying. I have an awesome strap that goes cross-bodied and attaches at opposite corners of my D10. I've LOVED that feature (I also have an attachment w/ a caribiner which is nice for more adventurous stuff like snorkeling and ziplining). I'll miss that feature, as it doesn't appear it's on either the D20 or D30.

I'll check out the Olympus. I've heard good things. But, I'm such a Canon junky..... it's hard to change brands! :)

Have you looked on eBay to find a used one? Like you I like my D10 however I just picked up a Nikon AW110 for a great price and will try it. I have found every water camera I have owned operates a little different in the water. On my next cruise I plan on giving the Nikon a workout and learning the plus's and minus's on it in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you looked on eBay to find a used one? Like you I like my D10 however I just picked up a Nikon AW110 for a great price and will try it. I have found every water camera I have owned operates a little different in the water. On my next cruise I plan on giving the Nikon a workout and learning the plus's and minus's on it in the water.

No, I haven't. I'm a LITTLE scared to buy one used. I know (from experience) that the D10 has a known issue w/ a lens error, and I want to avoid someone trying to unload that or a leaking issue ;-)

I have been doing the same research and found that Olympus, Pentax, and Nikon have all-weather DSLRs (not point-and-shoot) that are perfect for extremes - dust, cold, wet (not underwater except for the Nikon), etc. There might be others available.

I ruled out the Nikon because there was no image stabilization. Take a look and see what you think. It will let you keep one camera (plus a back-up if you want it) in your bag and get the quality images you want.

The Olympus I believe is the only one that truly markets weatherproof. The other brands including nikon only offer true sealing in their high end bodies, also nikon does offer image stabilization it is in the lenses

The Olympus I believe is the only one that truly markets weatherproof. The other brands including nikon only offer true sealing in their high end bodies, also nikon does offer image stabilization it is in the lenses

I figured for $158 brand new I would see how it works, still have the D10 Cannon for a backup. If I don't like it I will use the Cannon when I snorkel.